After acquisition by Apple, HopStop drops support for Windows Phone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    kharvelkharvel Posts: 80member

This news is gratifying and cathartic for all long-time Mac users such as myself (25 years and counting).  I can remember the days when Microsoft bought software companies that were supporting both Wintel and Mac platforms and then dropped Mac support.  

The shoe is on the other foot and I am happy to see Microsoft acolytes making the exact same complaints that Mac users used to make 20 years ago.  

Karma exists!

• Reply 22 of 30
    yanimacyanimac Posts: 23member

They're miffed? How about Bungee going over to Microsoft and dropping Halo games on the Mac.

• Reply 23 of 30
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I have to laugh at the wintrolls who whine "Microsoft wouldn't do this." I suppose they can show me all the Nintendo games Rare released after Microsoft bought them.

Indeed. Until Microsoft releases Word for iOS I don't think they have a leg to stand on vis a vis complaints.  

It's one of the fastest growing, popular and important computing platforms on the planet but they will never write software for it.  because: competition.

• Reply 24 of 30
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    dualie wrote: »
    Blackberry has ~80 million users world-wide. Just because it has a small market share doesn't mean there isn't much of a market for the device.

Oops.  Don't try to conflate "market share" with "installed base."  That won't fool anybody.
    Market share is a measurement of current unit sales or revenue in a specific category of product.
    Installed base is the total number of units sold, including obsolete / broken / replaced / lost / discarded units.

Market share: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_share
    Installed base: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installed_base

BB has over 70 million active users according to them. It is not installed base as they do know how many there are in use due to the messaging service. Not a BB fan, just an FYI.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Mac user since 1994. I paid $ & purchased the program "Simplify" for the Mac, & got the free app for the iPhone, which allowed me to stream music directly from my mac over the internet to my phone. I became miffed when google bought Simplify & turned off the service to my paid app & configuration. It was wrong then & I posted how unethical it was. The fact that it was legal & made good business sense, had no bearing on how even immoral it appeared to be. I'm still miffed about it.

For Apple to do the same thing, in the same character as google, is not right, even if it were a free program. To me, it proves the companies are out for themselves, only, & don't care about who they hurt or how much they compromise themselves do it. Just because google has their own set of rules & ethics doesn't mean that Apple has to adopt & internalize their business model & ethics to compete. Shame! Unless of course, I don't see the 'big picture,' then never mind!

This just in: corporations do not care about you. That you would have ever thought otherwise must mean you are either incredibly egotistical or extremely naive.

• Reply 26 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mikejones wrote: »
    This just in: corporations do not care about you.

This just in: it's Apple. Of course they care.
    kellya74u wrote: »
    Mac user since 1994.

Don't care. Doesn't matter.
    I became miffed when google bought Simplify & turned off the service to my paid app & configuration. It was wrong then & I posted how unethical it was.

Except it's neither of those things.
    For Apple to do the same thing, in the same character as google, is not right, even if it were a free program.

Except it's perfectly right. It's right legally, it's right morally, and it's right within a business context.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    This is payback for Microsoft buying Bungie and delaying Halo for the Mac.
    What will really be payback is when AppleTV gets an App Store...bye bye Xbox.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Mac user since 1994. I paid $ & purchased the program "Simplify" for the Mac, & got the free app for the iPhone, which allowed me to stream music directly from my mac over the internet to my phone. I became miffed when google bought Simplify & turned off the service to my paid app & configuration. It was wrong then & I posted how unethical it was. The fact that it was legal & made good business sense, had no bearing on how even immoral it appeared to be. I'm still miffed about it.

For Apple to do the same thing, in the same character as google, is not right, even if it were a free program. To me, it proves the companies are out for themselves, only, & don't care about who they hurt or how much they compromise themselves do it. Just because google has their own set of rules & ethics doesn't mean that Apple has to adopt & internalize their business model & ethics to compete. Shame! Unless of course, I don't see the 'big picture,' then never mind!

Can't believe it has taken you until now to realize that companies are out to make their own products look better and not their competitors products. Doesn't make sense for any company to devote time and money making something for a competitor's product unless there is a substantial financial gain to be had for doing so.

• Reply 29 of 30
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

..I too wonder why we can't give none or zero stars for things.

The reason is that if you do not give it any stars then you are in effect giving it no stars. If the intention of actually wanting to give no stars is to register extra dissatisfaction above the normal, then you can simply do that in the comments.

• Reply 30 of 30
    Since so few apps are on windows phone this probably hurt more, say same amount use it as others but in windows phone that's twice the percentage that are effected using it.

I figure when it is built into maps app android and App Store will have it drop to being not an app but a section of the main apple maps.