Notes of interest from Apple's Q3 2013 conference call

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 49
    peter524 wrote: »
    Why dramatic downturn ? Why people in HK like large screen?

    Here are some reasons...
    1. Average age in HK population is around 40-42 years old. Eyes are weaken. Reading small letters in small screen is just pain in the ass.
    2. Majority of people nowadays do not make calls to extend possible unless for work.. they just text. Screen size as a phone is not longer relevant
    3. Apart from the phone( now is texting) function, they use the device for watching download movies/TV programs/ comics/ newspaper and playing games...all this functions go better with a bigger screen
    4. HK smartphone market is very mature. Set aside those trade current smartphone with a new one on regular basis, the growth sector lies in senior population groups (ages 50+). Many of them are new to smartphone and does not have any loyalty issue. Because of ages, they need big screen .

    Last not least...hey HTC One really looks like an iPhone 6 in the appearance and feel, why still wait?


    ps...I am still waiting

    Stevie Wonder loves his iPhone.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,595member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post





    LOL. Google would invent a self-riding bicycle that is prone to viruses. The viruses could be removed by rooting it only stupid people get viruses anyway. It would take pictures of everything and be really creepy.


    A 'self-riding bicycle', a 'rooted' bicycle, a 'creepy' bicycle - the opportunities here are manifest and have already exceeded my imagining!

  • Reply 43 of 49
    What proportion of Apple's sales is in HK?

    Frankly speaking, don't think there is ever a report specifically for HK.

    Having said that, if you are in the subway or in the restaurant , you will be surrendered by Samsung not iphone anymore. Also in those shops selling cases, the selves for iPhones are not placed in the most attractive area and are far less in amount than Samsung. Same goes for the black market smuggling to China across the border.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 716member


    Wow...amazing quarter considering the lack of new hardware....or even the rumors of significant new hardware around the corner. Add in new iPhones, new iPads, updated iPad mini and iMacs and Mavericks and iOS 7 and things are looking great.

  • Reply 45 of 49

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Peter524 View Post





    Why dramatic downturn ? Why people in HK like large screen?



    Here are some reasons...

    1. Average age in HK population is around 40-42 years old. Eyes are weaken. Reading small letters in small screen is just pain in the ass.

    2. Majority of people nowadays do not make calls to extend possible unless for work.. they just text. Screen size as a phone is not longer relevant

    3. Apart from the phone( now is texting) function, they use the device for watching download movies/TV programs/ comics/ newspaper and playing games...all this functions go better with a bigger screen

    4. HK smartphone market is very mature. Set aside those trade current smartphone with a new one on regular basis, the growth sector lies in senior population groups (ages 50+). Many of them are new to smartphone and does not have any loyalty issue. Because of ages, they need big screen .



    Last not least...hey HTC One really looks like an iPhone 6 in the appearance and feel, why still wait?





    ps...I am still waiting


     


    Good post.  Sound reasoning.  Population delta.  Works for both young and the old.


     


    I'm not ancient but the iPhone's 4 inch screen seems an inch too small.


     


    Keep the current 4 inch as the Nano.  Add a 5 inch -ish screen '+' model.


     


    Lemon Bon Bon. 

  • Reply 46 of 49

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post


    Wow...amazing quarter considering the lack of new hardware....or even the rumors of significant new hardware around the corner. Add in new iPhones, new iPads, updated iPad mini and iMacs and Mavericks and iOS 7 and things are looking great.



     


    True.


     


    Lemon Bon Bon.

  • Reply 47 of 49
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,242member


    After Hours Trading: 435.38 +16.39 (3.91%)


     


    Clearly, Apple hit it out of the park.

  • Reply 48 of 49
    ksecksec Posts: 1,554member
    With Regards to Hong Kong, most of the Retail Apple Products are sold to visitors from China since it is much cheaper in Hong Kong compared to being taxed in China. And they are also being sold to countries around it since Hong Kong does not have sales tax and its price could even be cheaper then US depending on tax rate of the state.

    There were a report from Credit Card Company years ago mentioning the Credit Card Transaction to Apple products would equate to buying an iPhone from every single Hong Kong resident. Clearly this is not possible. Most of those iPhone were resold to China and Russia.

    Since Russia now has its own channel of getting iPhone, and less demand on iPhone from China, as well as the increase of Apple product sales point in China means less iPhone are being resold through Black Market. ( Only a few weeks ago someone laughed about Apple Black Market and compared to Ebay. Clearly they have absolutely no understanding of World Black Market Econ on iPhone )

    I think Tim Cook understood this better then anyone, but obviously not willing to admit these in an investor conference.

    And of cause all those point from Peter524, all of those i have already mentioned in many of my previous post. And Chinese Input sucks on iPhone. Apple not willing to open up its Keyboard API will do quite a bit of damage, and the size of screen, as well as the whole culture difference. I thought Apple would learn, adopt and evolve, those are words Tim Cook said in last conference where they said they are learning a lot. Clearly they are not learning fast enough. ( Or they did but haven't quite figure out the solution yet )
  • Reply 49 of 49
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 19,117member
    peter524 wrote: »
    What proportion of Apple's sales is in HK?

    Frankly speaking, don't think there is ever a report specifically for HK.

    Having said that, if you are in the subway or in the restaurant , you will be surrendered by Samsung not iphone anymore. Also in those shops selling cases, the selves for iPhones are not placed in the most attractive area and are far less in amount than Samsung. Same goes for the black market smuggling to China across the border.

    Who cares what you see on an HK subway. My point really was that, one city, such as a Hongkong, in one quarter, is likely trivial for Apple in the larger scheme of things. Just noise in the data, that's all.

    Actual iPhone sales last quarter were gangbusters, if you noticed.
Sign In or Register to comment.