iPhone 5 'by far the most popular iPhone,' Apple says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Since Apple bills the 4 inch display as "just right" and suggests that wider displays are "oversize, awkward, and hard to use" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/), it's hard to imagine any further screen enlargement being "semi-planned." So if those rumors of a larger iPhone have any substance, we should expect to see some creative marketing in the near future.

RDF

nothing else needed ^__^

In all seriousness, Apple in a marketing company that happens to also make hardware.

-QAMF

• Reply 22 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    qamf wrote: »
    In all seriousness, Apple in a marketing company…

Want to try again without the sentence that discredits everything you will ever say in the future?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    poksi wrote: »
    Yes. Oh, yes. ;)

Haha. Yes. I don't think the larger phone (4.7 or 4.8) will come out until next year. But yes, that's what many of us want.
  • Reply 24 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Want to try again without the sentence that discredits everything you will ever say in the future?

No, I will rephrase it though: Apple makes good hardware and software, but their real winner is the fact that they understand how to market that hardware to people, and they make good ads.

I was raised by two people in the advertising biz.  I understand how marketing works.

If Apple made the iPhone and had no marketing it probably would have does drastically worse.

I don't know about you, (or most other people), but I am extremely sure I understand advertising and marketing far better than you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

Haha. Yes. I don't think the larger phone (4.7 or 4.8) will come out until next year. But yes, that's what many of us want.

WOW? No, I have a phone with a 4.5" screen right now, I don't know how anyone can use anything larger then that comfortably.

If Apple decides to make a new iPhone (like the 6, because I expect a 5S) over 4.5" they either have some crazy non-bezel thing, or they have some weird dimension.

EDIT: In all seriousness, the only people I know who want, or have "phones" with over a 4.5" screen are people who watch lots of videos, and don't want to carry around a tablet.

Apple makes phones, not mini tablets.

-QAMF

• Reply 25 of 33
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by QAMF View Post

Apple makes phones, not mini tablets.

-QAMF

iPad mini?

• Reply 26 of 33
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by QAMF View Post

EDIT: In all seriousness, the only people I know who want, or have "phones" with over a 4.5" screen are people who watch lots of videos, and don't want to carry around a tablet.

-QAMF

People really need to stop speaking for their "friends" and acquaintances. You don't know what/why they want large or small phones. You don't know for sure whether they want to carry around a tablet. 

• Reply 27 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Quote:

iPad mini?

iPad mini is a tablet.

7+ is a tablet (although, over 10-11 is crazy large)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

People really need to stop speaking for their "friends" and acquaintances. You don't know what/why they want large or small phones. You don't know for sure whether they want to carry around a tablet. 

Of people I know very well (and talk about technology about with) no one wants one.

Of the numerous people whom come to me that I know (okay, probably like 20-25 people this year) talking about phones, not a single one has liked the idea if anything with screen that large.

My sample size could have flaws, but it paints a clear picture for me.

And yes, people should say what their sample is before they talk about that.

-QAMF

• Reply 28 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I see nothing wrong with anecdotal "evidence" (per se). As consumers we are swayed by what we see around us. If all of my friends has silver cars I would either buy one to fit in with the crowd or not, to "stand out". In the event that I didn't know anyone with a car, the colour would be less important.

I concede that it is folly to assume that one's sample of friends is representative of the wider customer base, that said, they are part of that customer base. 

• Reply 29 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hungover wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with anecdotal "evidence" (per se).

Right, but all anecdotal evidence is equally admissible.
  • Reply 30 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, but all anecdotal evidence is equally admissible.

Indeed. I was however, in part, countering Ankleskater's suggestion that you cannot know what your friends want. If you ask them, surely it is safe to assume that they will be honest with you.

• Reply 31 of 33
    webwizwebwiz Posts: 10member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

"by far the most popular iPhone"- what does that actually mean?

The best selling iPhone ever? The one that most iPhone5 owners like?

"Also singled out as having strong sales were the U.S., U.K., Brazil, Russia, India, and Thailand"- An even stranger statement. In two of those countries, namely Russia and India, Windows Phone is outselling the iPhone, which means that Apple must be in third or forth place. source http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/where-in-the-world-are-windows-phones-outselling-iphones/?_r=0

Do you actually know about the sales of the I-phone in India or just Google carp of the internet to prove a point? Try visiting India and buying an I-phone 4 16gig. Its sold out in most local stores.

All Iphones are selling like hot cakes in India and remember people have to pay full price for a phone there.

Also, most Nokia phones start at 1/3rd the price in INR of an iphone.

• Reply 32 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webwiz View Post

Do you actually know about the sales of the I-phone in India or just Google carp of the internet to prove a point? Try visiting India and buying an I-phone 4 16gig. Its sold out in most local stores.

All Iphones are selling like hot cakes in India and remember people have to pay full price for a phone there.

Also, most Nokia phones start at 1/3rd the price in INR of an iphone.

No, I don't know the actual sales figures. I posted a link to a respectable source. There are many others citing the same evidence.

Let me ask you to tell us what the sales figures for each of the iPhones in India are then.

You seem to be arguing that my post is incorrect and then backtracking by mentioning the relative cost of Nokia handsets. At the risk of ruining your day- there are many countries where iOS is not the number one phone OS.

• Reply 33 of 33
    tony12tony12 Posts: 31member

I think so too because lots of my friends and colleagues wanna buy 5 or 4s. I just have iPhone 4, and I enjoyed a good time with my iPhone. Thanks for the tips from Aneesoft iPhone column which was recommended by my friend! image