Wall Street encouraged by Apple's strong iPhone sales & positive guidance, still awaiting new produc

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Tim has done well so far. 

I haven't seen any glaring mistakes that would convince me Apple will be "quite a different company" under Tim versus Steve. Tim has the balls to make bold decisions much like Steve. He didn't hesitate to overhaul the largest OS in company history when he saw it was getting long-in-the-tooth. That's a move Steve would make, and Tim has been on top of things very closely ever since taking over.

Is Tim perfect? No, but he's made more wise decisions than foolish ones. He definitely is the man for the job rather than Forstall, as some had suggested a few years ago.

2012 was still Steve. This is Tim's year. We'll know by this time next year.

• Reply 22 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

We'll see when the "new" products come out.

I'm still not sold on Cook.

I think Apple will become quite a different company than it was under Steve.
    Curious then why no SVP under Cook has left (except for the ones that were fired). If Cook wasn't the right guy you'd think they would be jumping ship. All of them have more money than they'll ever know what to do with. And I'm sure plenty of competitors would hire any one of them in a heartbeat.

I see the stock is up almost 6 percent now.
  • Reply 23 of 64

2012 was still Steve. This is Tim's year. We'll know by this time next year.
    We have no idea what was/wasn't Steve. Products aren't created in a vacuum. And things can change.
  • Reply 24 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Curious then why no SVP under Cook has left (except for the ones that were fired). If Cook wasn't the right guy you'd think they would be jumping ship. All of them have more money than they'll ever know what to do with. And I'm sure plenty of competitors would hire any one of them in a heartbeat.

Hmmm... I guess the guy talking about word mapping was correct. A lot of people only want to talk about stock valuation and product volume.

What happened to innovation...

Like I said... I'll wait until I see the "new" products. This is Tim's year.

• Reply 25 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

We have no idea what was/wasn't Steve. Products aren't created in a vacuum. And things can change.

Until now I know what ideas were Steve's... but even if one of the "new" products to be introduced in the next 2 or 3 years was actually Steve's idea, it will still be Tim's implementation of that idea.

Exactly... things can change.

• Reply 26 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... I think Apple will become quite a different company than it was under Steve.

It already is IMO.  

• Reply 27 of 64
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member

YOU have no idea what they are creating right now!!!!!!!!

• Reply 28 of 64

Quote:

Who do you recommend?  Give us at least one name of who would be a better CEO than Tim Cook.

• Reply 29 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

....I am really taken aback by the YoY iPad decline.

I really don't understand why people are so worried about this: (i) As was pointed out by Cook yesterday, it's shipments that fell 14%; sales fell by only 3% (since Apple cleared out channel inventory, which is a brilliant strategy, imho); (ii) The same quarter last year saw the iPad 3, a blockbuster new product that had amazing sales while this past quarter had no new product; so the comparison is a bit skewed (iii) The iPad 5 is only a couple of months away, so why would any rational person buy one in the prior quarter when you can get a better one -- probably faster, thinner, lighter, with more memory, for the same price?! All it means is that sales have been shifted by one quarter.

The market clearly does not seem worried about iPads: AAPL is up close to 6% at the time of writing.

• Reply 30 of 64
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

We'll know by this time next year.

Agreed.

If Apple is doing markedly worse in a year I'll agree with you that Tim has to go.

rogifan wrote: »

All of the SVPs probably signed non-compete agreements.
  • Reply 31 of 64

Your constant attempts to discredit Mr. Cook are almost as tedious as they are pathetic. Thou doth protest too much. I'm pretty sure I've seen you in MDN bad mouthing Tim on a regular basis. Take a deep breath. (Edit: Regardless of any MDN activity, your comments in this thread alone seem a bit excessive.)

Apple is clearly a different company under Tim Cook, and as far as I can tell, all for the better. Steve set the ship on a course of innovation with a laser focus on making great products, and Tim seems to me to be the perfect captain. The company is now more mature than it was under Steve, making necessary concessions that Steve's stubborn idealistic stances wouldn't permit. The restraint Tim has shown in withholding products that aren't ready seem to be a good sign to me. Yes, having Steve's creativity would be a plus, but Apple still has more of this than any company out there; it's not even close. I'd suggest having a little faith, but if you look at this objectively, you don't need any faith to see that Apple is as strong as ever.
  • Reply 32 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

Who do you recommend?  Give us at least one name of who would be a better CEO than Tim Cook.

Well, that's the problem, isn't it.

... but that just underscores what I've been saying, if Tim is the only answer then he'd better be able to handle the job.

From what you are saying you know what comes next if he can't execute.

• Reply 33 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Your constant attempts to discredit Mr. Cook are almost as tedious as they are pathetic. Thou doth protest too much. I'm pretty sure I've seen you in MDN bad mouthing Tim on a regular basis. Take a deep breath.

Apple is clearly a different company under Tim Cook, and as far as I can tell, all for the better. Steve set the ship on a course of innovation with a laser focus on making great products, and Tim seems to me to be the perfect captain. The company is now more mature than it was under Steve, making necessary concessions that Steve's stubborn idealistic stances wouldn't permit. The restraint Tim has shown in withholding products that aren't ready seem to be a good sign to me. Yes, Having Steve's creativity would be a plus, but Apple still has more of this than any company out there, it's not even close. I'd suggest having a little faith, but if you look at this objectively, you don't need any faith to see that Apple is as strong as ever.

Attempts to discredit Cook?

On MDN?

Take a hike.

The rest is just blather.

• Reply 34 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The market clearly does not seem worried about iPads: AAPL is up close to 6% at the time of writing.

It's a tad disconcerting when I read so much hate of Wall Street when AAPL goes down, but so much faith in Wall Street when AAPL goes up.

That's my general feeling... I'm not sure of your specific sentiment.

• Reply 35 of 64

Attempts to discredit Cook?

On MDN?

Take a hike.

The rest is just blather.

Well it's not any more "blather" than:

"I'm not sold on Tim Cook.. we'll have to wait and see.. he'd better be able to handle the job.. you know what comes next if he can't execute..."
  • Reply 36 of 64

Quote:

Well, that's the problem, isn't it.

... but that just underscores what I've been saying, if Tim is the only answer then he'd better be able to handle the job.

From what you are saying you know what comes next if he can't execute.

No, I don't know what comes next.  

I see no significant evidence that Cook can't execute.  It's a given that he's imperfect and it's a given that he's not Steve Jobs.  But I see no other candidate that's even close to Cook.  I see the criticism of Cook as a side-show that doesn't contribute to our understanding of Apple and the industry.  

In the military when someone criticizes but has no alternative, they call them "ankle-biters".  These people whine that the world (or the campaign  or the corporation) is not perfect, but they contribute nothing as far as making the world a better place.  These people deserve very little attention.

• Reply 37 of 64
    blackbook wrote: »
    Agreed.

If Apple is doing markedly worse in a year I'll agree with you that Tim has to go.
    All of the SVPs probably signed non-compete agreements.
    Non compete agreements aren't legal in California.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Well, not everyone. Only the crazy haters are always saying stuff like that. For them Apple is perpetually on the verge of bankruptcy, none of their products sell well, etc. You know, the usual talking points by that crowd (see recent comments by Constable Odo) for example.

Let them. They are of no consequence.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

That article is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.  The opening paragraph should've started with the words "According to non-sensical research done by an uninformed troll..."

• Reply 40 of 64

Quote:

It's a tad disconcerting when I read so much hate of Wall Street when AAPL goes down, but so much faith in Wall Street when AAPL goes up.

That's my general feeling... I'm not sure of your specific sentiment.

That is not my sentiment.