New video again shows off supposed plastic Apple iPhone case

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone remains the top-selling handset in the world, but a new video seems to support the notion that the Cupertino company is not resting on its laurels and may be close to releasing a plastic-backed version of the iPhone to address lower-cost markets.

The case shown in the new video is virtually identical to previously leaked images that also purported to show a plastic iPhone body. The video, posted by YouTube user DetroitBORG, shows a partially completed case without the necessary cutouts for volume and mute buttons or a SIM card tray.

The video creator also makes it a point to show the plastic iPhone case alongside Apple's last plastic iPhone, the iPhone 3GS. The device appears best described as the intersection of the 3GS with the current iPod touch.

Should the previously leaked images and this video prove accurate, the lower-cost iPhone will be slightly thicker and wider than the current iPhone 5, with a 4-inch, presumably Retina display. Both the previous images and the new video point out that the lower-end model will likely come in an array of color options, and a number of different colors could also be an option on the higher-end model.

The plastic-backed iPhone would represent an attempt by Apple to reach into the lower-end market for smartphones. Industry consensus points to an apparent slowing in the high-end of the smartphone segment, with much of the growth in the industry now occurring in developing markets. Apple CEO Tim Cook, though, sounded less convinced speaking yesterday during the company's quarterly conference call.

"I don't subscribe to [the notion that] the higher end of the smartphone market has hit its peak," Cook said. The Apple chief declined to comment on any possible lower cost devices or the possibility that Apple would begin accepting trade-ins in its stores in order to boost supplies to sell in developing markets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Although the phone looks nicer in these videos I'm more convinced these plastic cases are fake.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    The two things I find most interesting about this design (assuming it's the real deal), are:

- The increased thickness would seem to allow for a double-size battery assuming the other components remain the same.

- If the front screen attaches in the same way as described by the previous leak with a sort of rubber gasket around the edge, this thing would be almost indestructible because most screen damage occurs with the shock of an edge-drop.

So it *could* be a supremely "chuckable," almost indestructible phone with a two day battery. If it's also cheap, that would make it a category destroyer and it would eat Android phones for lunch.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Not me. I think it's the real deal. A little late in the game to be able to protect so many supply chain elements. Also, the internal metal elements add to difficulty in faking this up.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

The "iPhone" font is thin on the shell. 

• Reply 5 of 80
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    On thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that the button slots are not cutout already. I cannot see the benefit of cutting them out after putting in parts of the chassis. But I am not a manufacturing engineer so there could be reasons to do this.

Also... the normal Apple printed information is not present bellow the iPhone label... so that is suspect.

However... it look a bit to well made for a knock-off.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member
    Who would or could go to that much trouble to make a fake a fake iPhone case? That would require an incredible amount of skill and money to produce something that detailed. It is true that Apple probably made dozens of various prototypes and the final product might not be this exact one. But at this point in time I think it is a safe bet to assume it is coming.

What I found the most interesting is when he said it would replace the 4 and 4S but sell alongside the 5 and 5S. I would have thought that Apple would stop selling previous model year phones if they came out with a cheaper version but I think he is probably right.

Off contract prices: iPhone plastic $449 iPhone 5 $549 iPhone 5S $649
  • Reply 7 of 80
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    I'd be disappointed to see them go back to plastic. Metal cases very much identify Apple's products now.

At one point, the white plastic was great - the old Macbooks looked really nice - but plastic just cracks too easily, gets fingerprints and scratches. The iPod Touch shown in the video looks like a more premium product and it would be cheaper than the phone.

The white color looks nice enough but the other colors in plastic don't. While these could of course be fake or 3rd party backs, there would be little reason to make a fake model of an iPhone Apple doesn't sell and there's also little reason for someone to replace Apple's nice metal back with a cheap plastic back.

I'd rather see an iPod Touch phone.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The two things I find most interesting about this design (assuming it's the real deal), are:

- The increased thickness would seem to allow for a double-size battery assuming the other components remain the same.

- If the front screen attaches in the same way as described by the previous leak with a sort of rubber gasket around the edge, this thing would be almost indestructible because most screen damage occurs with the shock of an edge-drop.

So it *could* be a supremely "chuckable," almost indestructible phone with a two day battery. If it's also cheap, that would make it a category destroyer and it would eat Android phones for lunch.

Yes, I have advocated Apple to take advantage of iOS being more battery efficient than Android by offering same battery size as Android phones.  If you compare the battery sizes of Android phones you will notice they are much larger than iPhones. 

• Reply 9 of 80
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Who would or could go to that much trouble to make a fake a fake iPhone case? That would require an incredible amount of skill and money to produce something that detailed. It is true that Apple probably made dozens of various prototypes and the final product might not be this exact one. But at this point in time I think it is a safe bet to assume it is coming.

How does injection molding a handful of plastic cases involve an "incredible amount of skill and money"? You can get on-demand injection molding done for quite cheap especially with it being plastic.

• Reply 10 of 80

I expect to see more and more of these now that you can get a decent 3D Printer for less than $1,000. image

The metal chassis probably came from an iPod Touch. Nicely done.

• Reply 11 of 80
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Off contract prices: iPhone plastic $449 iPhone 5 $549 iPhone 5S $649

$449 would still be way too high. You might as well not make it for that price, because you're just undercutting your existing phone offerings while not attracting any new customers. If it's not $199, it won't sell to the low-end market that they are allegedly trying to reach. 

• Reply 12 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="gwmac" url="/t/158676/new-video-again-shows-off-supposed-plastic-apple-iphone-case#post_2366882"]Who would or could go to that much trouble to make a fake a fake iPhone case?[/QUOTE]

Anyone who wants publicity? This has happened with Apple products for over a decade.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Although the phone looks nicer in these videos I'm more convinced these plastic cases are fake.

Really?  still thinking that...

Very nice video, the shell looks much better without its plastic protection. The video really outline how much they will save on just the casing. I didnt realise the ip5 had chromes around the plugs. This will be using cheaper components on top of being a lot easier to make.

• Reply 14 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

How does injection molding a handful of plastic cases involve an "incredible amount of skill and money"? You can get on-demand injection molding done for quite cheap especially with it being plastic.

It wasn't just an empty plastic case. It also included the metal mount or whatever it is called. What possible motive would anyone have to make a fake case? Clicks on a story certainly wouldn't pay for the expense. The only possible entity that might produce then leak some fake prototypes would be Apple themselves. But more than likely this was just a leak of the actual case that we will probably see in the final product. 

I think plastic is fine since Apple clearly wants to draw a huge boundary between their premium and affordable line of iPhones. This will clearly separate the two lines and serve to try and stop it from cannibalizing sales away from the more premium aluminum iPhones. It seems it will basically be a 4S but with a 4" retina screen and lightning. The other advantage of plastic is that it is more durable so less need of a case. It can be scratched but will likely fare better in falls vs. an iPhone 5 without a case. That also explains the colors since Apple assumes people will be less likely to buy a case for this phone. If they do buy a case it would not be a thick protective type case but a very thin one meant only to prevent against scratches. 

• Reply 15 of 80
    Wouldn't a plastic iPhone shell fly in the face of Apple's dedication to environmentally-friendly products?
  • Reply 16 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

$449 would still be way too high. You might as well not make it for that price, because you're just undercutting your existing phone offerings while not attracting any new customers. If it's not $199, it won't sell to the low-end market that they are allegedly trying to reach. 

Well remember it would be free on contract. It would simply continue the pricing system they have in place now but standardizing on the 4" display and on lightning. If Apple could hit that psychological $399 price point off contract then there could be more disruption. I think $399 would be absolute lowest you could hope for. 

The problem they will still face in the 3rd world is all those other fees and taxes. So even if they sell it for $399 here in the U.S. the price in countries like Brazil, India, Russia and others is still likely to be well above $500. 

• Reply 17 of 80
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadgarrison View Post

Wouldn't a plastic iPhone shell fly in the face of Apple's dedication to environmentally-friendly products?

Plastic is re-cyclable...  and it takes less energie than reclycling glass and aluminum.

• Reply 18 of 80
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Yes, I have advocated Apple to take advantage of iOS being more battery efficient than Android by offering same battery size as Android phones.  If you compare the battery sizes of Android phones you will notice they are much larger than iPhones. 

This cnet writer is lying.  He said he gets 10 hours of web browsing with the original nexus 7.  Google said the new nexus 7 gets one more hour of web browsing at 10 hours.  The Android world is full of dishonest people.

http://www.zdnet.com/why-the-nexus-7-is-winning-my-heart-and-replacing-my-ipad-7000017947/

• Reply 19 of 80

That is real like the leaks of iPad 3 and iPhone 5. They all leaked before the release. It is impossible to produce those detailed prototypes individually. The really bad thing is that the surprise becomes absent before the announcement. That kills the excitement around the fresh products as well.

Tim Cook seems to double down on secrecy on products image

• Reply 20 of 80
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    He seems to start off talking about the phone replacing the 4 and 4S and then halfway through he sort of transitions into talking about it as if it's the new 5S talking about missing the two tone back on finer details. A little odd.

He needs to make it clearer that there will be another higher end phone coming as the video comes across in parts as if he's showing the only new iPhone, a lot of people will be assuming that this is the only thing coming.