Chromecast hacked: uses Google TV code, stripped of Android features

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Just because you can't see any relevance, doesn't mean it isn't.  For instance, this thing is basically a hardware dongle that's representing itself as a Chrome browser.  What if the various media outlets in question decide to block it now that it can be hacked?  Then it will end up as "Google TV 2.0" and basically a worthless piece of junk (well … more worthless than it already is).  

    It's hackability is also just plain interesting from a technological point of view.  

    Obviously you're just a troll, but don't think we haven't noticed that you're making no sense and have no idea what you're talking about. 

    Root access was obtained but nothing other than seeing it's code was what could be done.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    [After the slaughter of Google TV, a new competitor emerges: his deformed thing-in-a-person-skin half-brother cHrOmeCaaast]

    [Droid 1] Eugh... *gulp*... Oh... All that's holy, what IS that thing...
    [Droid 2] Why it's our new, mighty leader of course, three cheers! Hoorah!
    [Droid 1] Ohhh... errr... three... what now... oh, I guess it has three... what ARE they!?
    [Droid 2] Hip-hip!
    [Droid 1] Haaaa... *vomit* Ho... ...yeughh... *shudder*
    [Droid 2] Hip-hip!
    [Droid 1] Hoo... ...ray?!?
    [Droid 2] Hip-hip!
    [Droid 1] Hooooraaaayyyy!!!

    [exit]
  • Reply 23 of 60
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member


    amazing to see so many Chromecasts (~500 listings ) already for sale on ebay trying to cash in on the hype.

  • Reply 24 of 60
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Does Apple TV do cross platform streaming? And please provide a link for a $50 Apple TV, because I can't find one and I'd like to purchase one.


    cross platform streaming.  Yes.  Standalone, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Windows, Linux Desktop, Android.  Which would you like?


     Is that what you mean by being cross platform?  Or is the cross platform you mean the one where you have to change to Google's browser instead of using your normal browser? No requirement to switch use of your existing browser with Apple TV. Internet Explorer fans rejoice!

  • Reply 25 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    snova wrote: »
    cross platform streaming.  Yes.  Standalone, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Windows, Linux Desktop, Android.  Which would you like?
     Is that what you mean by being cross platform?  Or is the cross platform you mean the one where you have to change to Google's browser instead of using your normal browser? No requirement to switch use of your existing browser with Apple TV. Internet Explorer fans rejoice!

    One can Airplay from all those? Or do you mean Plex or XBMC? Which also needs to be on the same wifi network.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    I still don't get why people want this thing though.  



    because people aways seem to get a rise out of anything they think is a great deal.  Its a greed thing. Even if they don't need it and it will just end up stockpiled in their garage. Looks what happens on Black Friday.  $250 laptops, $499 50" TVs, HP $99 Touchpads, $159 Kindle Fires.  They all end up suffering the same fate in the junk pile.   Only rich people can afford to make impulsive purchases on throw away junk out of greed. 

  • Reply 27 of 60
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    One can Airplay from all those? Or do you mean Plex or XBMC? Which also needs to be on the same wifi network.


    yes, I meant AirPlay.   WiFi or wired LAN. your choice.

  • Reply 28 of 60
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    snova wrote: »
    amazing to see so many Chromecasts (~500 listings ) already for sale on ebay trying to cash in on the hype.

    I bought three and sold two on eBay. Free Chromecast and Netflix and I made a few bucks. :)
  • Reply 29 of 60
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by snova View Post


    because people aways seem to get a rise out of anything they think is a great deal.  Its a greed thing. Even if they don't need it and it will just end up stockpiled in their garage. Looks what happens on Black Friday.  $250 laptops, $499 50" TVs, HP $99 Touchpads, $159 Kindle Fires.  They all end up suffering the same fate in the junk pile.   Only rich people can afford to make impulsive purchases on throw away junk out of greed. 



    sounds like you have a personal experience on this.

  • Reply 30 of 60
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post





    I bought three and sold two on eBay. Free Chromecast and Netflix and I made a few bucks. image


    yes, its seems like some are making making $7-10 per unit (plus shipping) based on buy it now pricing.  Hope you did better than this for your trouble. 

  • Reply 31 of 60
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post


    sounds like you have a personal experience on this.



    yes, yes I do.  we were all young and stupid once. I'm sure you couldn't relate. right?

  • Reply 32 of 60
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by snova View Post


    yes, its seems like some are making making $7-10 per unit (plus shipping) based on buy it now pricing.  Hope you did better than this for your trouble. 



     


    Sure did!

  • Reply 33 of 60
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post


     


    Sure did!



    got to hand it to you.. it sure is a creative way to scrap up enough money to be able to afford an Apple TV.  ;-P


    but seriously, enjoy your Chromecast,  hope it works out for you in the long run.  Stuff like that never seems to work out for me. It seems like I have to agonize at paying a high price for a quality product.  Never have regretted those kind of purchases however. 


     


    its not that I can't afford it, I am just very miserly. 

  • Reply 34 of 60
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post


    I'm looking forward to tomorrow's article. I wonder if google will actually try and implement a chrome, cloud phone platform at some point. Seems like a terrible idea to me, but that certainly hasn't stopped google before.



    ChromeOS on a TV is a pretty good idea.  I've always criticized the the ChromeOS model because I don't think it makes any sense for a mobile world.  I'm on record very early on in the app vs web applications war as saying web applications would lose out.  I'm going to take the opposite position with TVs.  TVs are not mobile and usually have good access to wifi.  There are hundreds of millions of dumb displays out there.  If you can upgrade a $1,000-$2,000 TVs to a modern operating system for $35, why wouldn't you do it?  ChromeOS is the perfect way to do it.  It will all start with streaming video content like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the new Aereo TV service.  The user interface will be your phone or tablet.  Once everyone has their TV upgraded and their phone set up to control it, it will be a no brainer for developers to provide web apps. 

  • Reply 35 of 60
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post



    [After the slaughter of Google TV, a new competitor emerges: his deformed thing-in-a-person-skin half-brother cHrOmeCaaast]



    [Droid 1] Eugh... *gulp*... Oh... All that's holy, what IS that thing...

    [Droid 2] Why it's our new, mighty leader of course, three cheers! Hoorah!

    [Droid 1] Ohhh... errr... three... what now... oh, I guess it has three... what ARE they!?

    [Droid 2] Hip-hip!

    [Droid 1] Haaaa... *vomit* Ho... ...yeughh... *shudder*

    [Droid 2] Hip-hip!

    [Droid 1] Hoo... ...ray?!?

    [Droid 2] Hip-hip!

    [Droid 1] Hooooraaaayyyy!!!



    [exit]


    I completely disagree that Chromecast is another Google TV.  The device doesn't play Android apps. Chromecast is a second attempt at the web applications model.  And unlike the first attempt (ultraportable laptops), I think this one has a really good chance of succeeding. It makes a lot of sense to pay $35 to upgrade a $2,000 TV to a modern computer.    

  • Reply 36 of 60
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,226member
    Alternatively, with no Chrome, how could you call it ChromeOS?

    The real point, however, is that its code is salvaged from the Android-based Google TV, rather than originating with the ChromeOS software that runs ChromeBooks.
    Given it is built around web streaming, it has much more Chrome than Android. Google TV was centered around Dalvik, I question how much code was salvaged from Google TV to build Chromecast. ChromeOS is more than the browser interface, it is also the secure boot and update aspect.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    Does Apple TV do cross platform streaming? And please provide a link for a $50 Apple TV, because I can't find one and I'd like to purchase one.


     


    It's not cross platform.  It does web streaming.  Period.  Also, there are lots of reports already that it doesn't work, or doesn't work well, on iOS at all.  It basically works on Firefox and Chrome browsers and everything else is dodgy.  


     


    You also have to figure in the fact that most web video is crap quality and full of advertisements as well.  Have fun streaming your 800x600 YouTube videos that have been cross-coverted from shit Windows video files.  


     


    For a few bucks more, Apple TV has built in YouTube and built in Vimeo as well (Vimeo is like YouTube but in HD and for grownups).  Apple TV also does the same web streaming that Chromecast does, but also does Airplay, has a store, plays games, does mirroring, does Hockey and MLB (if you like that crap) Netflix, Anime stations, Flickr, Photostream, and can be hacked to provide a host of other services for free as well.  


     


    Second hand Apple TV's do indeed go for 50 bucks as I said.  Only an idiot would buy something second hand and not get at least 50% off.  The only reason they are a bit hard to find, is that they are so popular, that people generally don't sell them a lot.  many people never put their old ones on eBay, they just attach them to other TVs around the house.  


     


    If you like your Chromecast, keep it is my advice.  


    I just think Apple TV is a better value, and there are numerous people that are smarter than either of us, saying the same thing on tech sites all over the web.  

  • Reply 38 of 60
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


     


    Just because you can't see any relevance, doesn't mean it isn't.  For instance, this thing is basically a hardware dongle that's representing itself as a Chrome browser.  What if the various media outlets in question decide to block it now that it can be hacked?  Then it will end up as "Google TV 2.0" and basically a worthless piece of junk (well … more worthless than it already is).  


     


    It's hackability is also just plain interesting from a technological point of view. 



    The content providers are going to be companies like Netflix, Amazon, and Aereo TV.  There is absolutely no chance that these companies will block it.  The reason Google TV failed is because it was a shitty product.  Everyone hates the complexity of a remote and Google TV made the remote situation worse, not better.  With Chromecast, Google solved that problem by using the iPhone/Android as the remote.  I just can't emphasize how significant this is.


     


    Google also realized that competing with Apple on applications is just dumb.  Someone like me is NEVER EVER going to download a single shitty android app or touch anything that has to do with Android. Will I pay $35 to use my iPhone as a remote control to stream Netflix to my $2,000 TV. Absolutely.  And once I start using it to stream my movie content, there is a chance some web app developer might make another product that I might use. Web apps are very appropriate for a large screen TV because the internet connection is usually constant and fixed.

  • Reply 39 of 60
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member


    Google has a tiger the tail.  Google lost the web app vs standalone app in the smartphone and laptop markets.  However, TVs are different because they are fixed near a constant source of wifi.  Perfectly suited for web apps.  Chromecast is going to force Apple to open up the ATV to third party Apps.  Even then, I'm not sure Apple will impede Chromecast.  Since Chromcast works with iOS and it only costs $35 I can see most iPhone users buying one. I know I will. I have a second TV that needs a streaming service and I haven't gotten around to buying a second ATV.  Why shouldn't I just get a Chromecast? I can control it with my iPhone.  I can't control an ATV with my iPhone (at least not in the same convenient way Chromecast will let me control it).


     


    Can't wait to see tomorrow's commentary.  Chromecast is a very big deal and anyone that owns shares in Apple (which I do) should hope that Apple takes this very seriously.  If Apple wants to have any chance of dominating the TV, they need to open up ATV to third party apps NOW, they need to make the iPhone the interface for ATV (and switch the video stream to the ATV to avoid draining the battery), and they need to lower the price to $50. 

  • Reply 40 of 60
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member


    The AppleTV YouTube experience really sucks with just the Apple IR remote.  Granted its a lot simpler using the Apple Remote App on my iPhone or iPad to search and type for YouTube clips.


     


    However if I have to think about it... do I really have a need to spend any time watching YouTube on my big HDTV? Is it a more satisfying experience? Are video clips generally high quality video with 5.1 surround sound? No, not really. Do I don't gather up the family in the living room or sit in bed with my spouse before bedtime watching YouTube videos?   Maybe some people do, I don't. That sounds really weird to me. Why not? 


     


    Well, I think its been really well said before.  The amount of time people are willing to spend in front of a screen is proportional to the screen size. A movie, a tv show, yeah.. ok.. I'll watch that on a big TV screen.  Short video clips of YouTubes on the big screen? No, not really worth it to me.  Hard enough finding a movie or TV show we all agree on, a bunch of YouTube videos that I want to subject everyone to? Good luck with that.   Seems like YouTube clips are short enough that its not really worth it to break them out on the the big screen.  


     


    So with the size of screen proportional to the runtime of what you want to watch;  Short clips, smaller screen is good enough.   If I really want to subject friends and family to a clip, I'll send them a link or walk over with my device and show them the clip.


     


    Now for Netflix, iTunes Movies and TV Show, I really dont seem to have any complaints using the IR remote; other than finding it. Its really small. For those times, I use my iPhone to control the AppleTV. They really need a "Find my AppleTV remote app".  If and when I find my IR remote, I prefer it over the Apple Remote App because I keep a screen lock on my phone.  Its a real pain to simply pause the program, or rewind without the IR remote.  Unlocking the iPhone screen is not a good long term solution, I don't want to drain my iPhone battery and takes to long to wake the phone out of sleep in order to hit pause. When my Apple IR remote broke, I was happy to find out I could use an old no longer used TiVo remote and have the Apple TV learn the IR codes it sends. That was nice.  Now its much easier to find. 


     


    I guess in summary, I prefer IR remote and big screen for watching TV shows and Movies on the AppleTV.  For short video clips, I prefer the iPad and iPhone.


     


    So while using smart phone or tablet to control sounds good on paper, in practice its not desirable to me.  Your milage may vary.

Sign In or Register to comment.