Fllu offers cash to "organically" promote Samsung's push for proprietary Android apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Forking Android in 5..4...3...

• Reply 22 of 35
    epsicoepsico Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by twosee View Post

I've always wondered why there's so much news and "outrage" when apple does something far from perfect.

That's quite easy to explain: Apple tries to stand for quality (and charges premium for that), so when quality falters, people naturally complain.  3D maps are pointless, the real issue was and is Apple Maps' extremely variable accuracy making it impossible to trust.  3D maps and flyover and whatnot are just useless features; if you can't do them right, then don't do them at all.  That's what Jobs used to stand for when he was at the wheel.  At least Street View is useful for orientation because it gives you the right perspective, but the rest is not.

Google, on the other hand, never stood for quality.  They conduct research and put beta services out all the time, they aren't perfect and aren't trying to be perfect, and they don't charge premium for anything (in fact they give everything they can for free), so people tend to be a lot more tolerant with them.

• Reply 23 of 35
    epsico wrote: »
    twosee wrote: »
    I've always wondered why there's so much news and "outrage" when apple does something far from perfect.
    That's quite easy to explain: Apple tries to stand for quality (and charges premium for that), so when quality falters, people naturally complain.  3D maps are pointless, the real issue was and is Apple Maps' extremely variable accuracy making it impossible to trust.  3D maps and flyover and whatnot are just useless features; if you can't do them right, then don't do them at all.  That's what Jobs used to stand for when he was at the wheel.  At least Street View is useful for orientation because it gives you the right perspective, but the rest is not.

Google, on the other hand, never stood for quality.  They conduct research and put beta services out all the time, they aren't perfect and aren't trying to be perfect, and they don't charge premium for anything (in fact they give everything they can for free), so people tend to be a lot more tolerant with them.

Was the question about maps?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Well, at least this is a good explanation and making sense.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    (OT fork/
    Well, Google better wake up and freakn quickly, too !
    Now it's an ISP, hardware provider and all ....

Zero tolerances when people are paying for goods and services.
    They now have to put their money where their MOUTH is.
    And there's been plenty of mouth. /OT fork)
  • Reply 26 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Anyone who knows software developers or knows their subculture could have told the advertising guy it wouldn't work.

• Reply 27 of 35
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member

Googles apps and services are free? Of a monetary charge to the user, yes. But what about your data and metrics???
  • Reply 28 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Googles apps and services are free? Of a monetary charge to the user, yes. But what about your data and metrics???

What about it?  Could you monetize it yourself?  I can't.  So, as far as I'm concerned, it's free bcause they're extracting value from what to me is worthless.  Free does not imply that the service provider does not gain anything from the deal, only that they don't charge me anything.

• Reply 29 of 35
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsico View Post

What about it?  Could you monetize it yourself?  I can't.  So, as far as I'm concerned, it's free bcause they're extracting value from what to me is worthless.  Free does not imply that the service provider does not gain anything from the deal, only that they don't charge me anything.

Right you are. Google is for people who think that privacy is worthless.

• Reply 30 of 35
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsico View Post

That's one of the problems with our world.

If you cannot squeeze out dollars of it, it is of no value. /s

To me my privacy is of great value.

• Reply 31 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jguther View Post

Right you are. Google is for people who think that privacy is worthless.

So cute, you think you can enjoy privacy online...

I exercise my privacy rights by not sharing what is private to me with anyone and encrypting my stuff.

If you are an American citizen, the moment you hand your personal data over to a third party, you have waived your fourth amendment rights.  If you are not an American citizen, then you have no fourth amendment rights even in the US because the fourteenth amendment does not apply to you.

• Reply 32 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Now, to shed more light on the entire situation, this also happens with apps in iOS. Fake reviews, paid placement, etc., all to take crap and coat it in gold.

[I]But none of that is [B]Apple's[/B] doing.[/I]
  • Reply 33 of 35
    StackOverflow.com is not a social network. It has a reputation system for its contributors, so Fllu can't just create new sock accounts to start posting spam. They have to buy off regular, reputable contributors with $500 prizes. Sorry, but those kinds of obvious posts would be flagged as inappropriate on StackOverflow anyway. I don't think any regular contributor should become a paid Samsung shill at the risk of their reputation points.

Interesting points. I wonder if we can have a system like that here, where the obnoxious trolls can be voted down into obscurity. Speaking of trolls, there are many posters that are conspicuously absent from this thread..
  • Reply 34 of 35
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We are willing to pay $500 just for that. Not a lot of work...since you are involved in Stackoverflow ANYWAY."

Amateurs.  The world is full of amateurs.

• Reply 35 of 35
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    DED - you failed to also mention the incident in Asia this year where Samsung's paid celebrity shills posted anti-apple comments timed in unison, and pre-written and provided to them by Samscum agents. Ironically, and to Samscums embarrassment, they were all posted from their iPhones and iPads.