Apple dismisses DOJ's proposed e-book penalties as 'a draconian and punitive intrusion'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I won't be surprised if some of the DOJ lawyers resign when this is over to work for Amazon.
  • Reply 22 of 128
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I won't be surprised if some of the DOJ lawyers resign when this is over to work for Amazon.
    Haha... They already do! So does the whole of doj!
    This whole thing is infuriatingly absurd.
  • Reply 23 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

If they have to terminate their current contract and cannot create a new one for 5 years, then wouldn't they be unable to sell any books from those publishers for those five years?  If I understand this correctly, wouldn't that effectively force Apple to call the entire e-book market a big loss?  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

That was my interpretation as well, but I'm also not sure ... image

• Reply 24 of 128
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Obama to american people:
    We have a few good things left in this country, .. Lets make a change.. Lets destroy them all! Yes we can"
    Hope apple has the balls to see this absurdness smoked!
  • Reply 25 of 128
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    I came here just to see how AppleInsider would somehow skew this as positive news. You do realize... today's Apple fans are the same as Microsoft fans were a decade ago? Some people like what's new. Others are stuck go to what's big today. APple is big today. I am tying this on an Apple machine. But seriously, Apple is just another company now.
  • Reply 26 of 128
    drandeldrandel Posts: 28member
    "draconian and punitive intrusion"

Eric Holder, strongly protesting, says, "Just another case of Republicans trying to create a 'phony scandal!'"
  • Reply 27 of 128
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwik View Post

I came here just to see how AppleInsider would somehow skew this as positive news. You do realize... today's Apple fans are the same as Microsoft fans were a decade ago? Some people like what's new. Others are stuck go to what's big today. APple is big today. I am tying this on an Apple machine. But seriously, Apple is just another company now.

What Microsoft fans?

• Reply 28 of 128

This ruling solves what? jacks up prices on ipad users? Same thing Apple is guilty of??

Goverment is a bunch of hypocrites...

But see where  Obama gets his biggest campaign money from and you can figure it out.. 

The old squeaky wheel gets the grease.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/contriball.php

• Reply 29 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Thanks for the sarcasm and dismissiveness by the way, that's always a great sign that I'm talking to someone with a measured point of view.

Excuse me, but to suggest that Apple is being "vitriolic", has been "already found guilty" (as though it's for sure, since the verdict may or may not be thrown out on appeal), acting like a "poor little multinational being wronged", being "pathetic", and showing a lack of "grace" is far from measured.

You should not dish it out if you can't take it.

• Reply 30 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    There is flagrant price fixing in the oil markets, the industrial metals markets, the precious metals markets, LIBOR interest rate fixing…

Telecoms, ISPs, power companies…

It's just who pays them off.
  • Reply 31 of 128

I wonder what the DOJ punishment to the NSA will be for wrongfully eavesdropping on internet traffic without warrants? Oh right, the DOJ apparently signed off on using the constitution as toilet paper

• Reply 32 of 128
    So before Apple's iBooks Amazon pretty much were able to set the price of the E-books. I am now convinced that there are some real issues with the legal system in America. I cannot say people are being paid off but it would not be the first time something like that happened. Basically if this continues the Americans are trying to break up Apples whole ecosystem. I have to ask why? Apple NEVER collided with the largest eBook retailer (Amazon) to fix prices, they ONLY allowed the book retailers to set the price on THEIR store. If Amazon wanted to use the same model for pricing and CHANGE THEIR model then that was THEIR choice without any influence from APPLE. If I were Apple I would be thinking very carefully of my plans to expand my operations in America and would be suspending all expansion projects in America and then looking to more favourable economic areas. On that front may I suggest Europe? I really hope someone in America stops and rexamines this because I am now beginning to think the other large tech companies have stopped trying to compete and ate now trying every dirty tactic they can find to gain marke share. LONG LIVE APPLE.... DOWN WITH THE GOOGLE, SAMSUNG, AMAZON alliance.

Amazon owned companies http://www.labnol.org/tech/amazon-owed-companies/19605/
    Google owed companies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Google
    Samsung owed companies and alliances http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Group

Apple owned companies and alliances: cannot find them. But from memory intrinsity, finger works, are but two

I realise the anti apple stalwarts will flame this, but I'm sorry I cannot see how Samsung can have a jury decide that they broke a patent only to have ONE judge reverse it. Then have other judges reverse and overturn pattents in rapid succession. I REFUSE to believe the USPO is that bad. There is something more going on here. People with these pattents would/should have brought their pattents to the attention of the courts etc before Apple became big. As they did not and only now that Apple has a lot of spare cash are these coming to light then I have to assume its a money grabbing exercise. Sorry I cannot help felling that there is something more going on. Anyway to make me feel bette: no more goggle, Samsung or amazon for me! On a separate note Amazon where is the book I ordered or the cash back please! Of course this is the last time I will ever use you now!
  • Reply 33 of 128
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    nagromme wrote: »
    Repeat after me, Apple: money greases the wheels of government. Every other corporation knows the law is for sale, so you'd better learn to pay up!

Joining in with the principles of one's neighbourhood hoodlums sinks the standards of propriety (degenerating moral behaviour) even further. It takes the principled ones in playing fields, from homes, school yards to corporate boards and public governing bodies to demand standards of propriety in universal matters that govern all civilizations of democratic states, unifying all individuals in an understanding of human rights, allowing each citizen a fair role/participation in the state. It is what supports all social and economic strata to cooperation against the reckless state of anarchy where chaos rules. Are the lessons from WWII forgotten so soon?

nagromme, I am assuming sarcasm was to be understood from your post.
  • Reply 34 of 128
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    brutus009 wrote: »
    If they have to terminate their current contract and cannot create a new one for 5 years, then wouldn't they be unable to sell any books from those publishers for those five years?  If I understand this correctly, wouldn't that effectively force Apple to call the entire e-book market a big loss?  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

What about my iBook collection?  How does this help consumers?  If I understand this correctly, the DOJ very nearly wants Apple to remove itself from the e-book market, and I don't understand how that can be in anyone's best interest... except for Amazon.

Yes, it seems they want to give Amazon a monopoly. They also want to prohibit Apple from selling TV shows, movies, etc. it seems... where is this all coming from?

Also, why not just make every eBook drm free? That would be consumer friendly. Giving Amazon everything will kill innovation. Next they're going to tell us that Apple did nothing for the music industry.
  • Reply 35 of 128
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    Look, I think the MFN clause was something that Apple used with good intentions for their business, but they could have foreseen it would cause trouble down the road. In Apple other businesses like movies and music Apple did better because they were one of the first to enter the market. Apple tried too hard to protect themselves with entering this new eBook business. They made choices that made sense to them, but they didn't think things through. I just see it as bad judgement in a difficult situation in which the publishers wanted to redefine their position, and Amazon made the playing field for new entrants one of losing money. This was never the case in Apple's other businesses.

In the end, even if Apple did something wrong, I feel the DOJ is handling the situation badly. It makes them look like they have a score to settle. But it happens so many times with the justice department in America; it's all about personal crusades and spite, and more. It shouldn't be about hurting Apple; it should be about trying to correct the balance. This doesn't mean removing Apple entirely out of the equation, as this would create an undesirable market effect. It would be like prohibiting Microsoft from creating a browser, or even worse prohibiting Microsoft from having control over what components go into Windows.
  • Reply 36 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bwik wrote: »

Apple doesn't have a monopoly in ebooks (amazon), phones (Android is winning) or computers. But other that, they are exactly like Microsoft.
  • Reply 37 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bwik wrote: »
    I came here just to see how AppleInsider would somehow skew this as positive news.

Maybe don't come here in the future, then.
    You do realize… today's Apple fans are the same as Microsoft fans were a decade ago?

We don't realize it, as it isn't the case.
    Some people like what's new. Others are stuck go to what's big today. Apple is big today. I am tying this on an Apple machine. But seriously, Apple is just another company now.

First, no it isn't. Second, what does any of that have to do with the illegal penalties?
  • Reply 38 of 128
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

A lot of people are discovering Barack and company aren't quite what they expected.

• Reply 39 of 128
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Excuse me, but to suggest that Apple is being "vitriolic", has been "already found guilty" (as though it's for sure, since the verdict may or may not be thrown out on appeal), acting like a "poor little multinational being wronged", being "pathetic", and showing a lack of "grace" is far from measured.

You should not dish it out if you can't take it.

I can take it.

It's fair to say that my post wasn't on Apple's side.  That doesn't mean it isn't measured though, and it's not an argument against anyone on this forum.

Not really sure what your point is, beyond a lot of quotations.

• Reply 40 of 128
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ha! Apple is appealing the ruling on that trial, as is their legal right and their responsibility to Apple's shareholders.

Of course they are.  So what?  Still got found guilty first time round.