EA confirms 'SimCity' for Mac OS X to be released Aug. 29

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
After being pushed back over two months, "SimCity" will finally make its Mac debut at the end of August following a rocky PC launch fraught with network connectivity and overall quality issues.

SimCity

Game publishers Electronic Arts and Maxis announced the Mac release date on Monday via the official SimCity Twitter account, saying the hotly anticipated title would be available starting Aug. 29.

EA originally planned for SimCity to arrive on Mac in June as an exclusive digital download through the company's Origin service.

In an ambitious undertaking, SimCity planned to have cross-platform collaboration between Mac and PC players. However, SimCity's digital rights management (DRM) implementation required a persistent connection to the Internet, even during single player mode, which subsequently overwhelmed game servers at launch.

EA and Maxis said in June that SimCity wasn't "ready for primetime," and pushed the release back to August.

While Aug. 29 launch date has been confirmed, it is unknown if the publishers will be making downloadable content now available to PC users accessible on the Mac at launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Only about 15 years too late.......
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Finally!!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    tikimantikiman Posts: 68member

Will not buy.

• Reply 4 of 17
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Still waiting for EA to fix the gameplay issues with the PC version. It's very pretty but it's a terrible simulation and a dull game.

• Reply 5 of 17

The news of this happening was met with the same level of excitement as news about Kim Kardashian's butt size.

• Reply 6 of 17
    I was all set to buy this until I realized EA's onerous DRM edict meant that I could never truly own my cities that I create in the game. I don't want to play Sim City with others. It's a game on par with solitaire for me. The always-on Internet requirement is unacceptable in a title that costs $75.00.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Only about 15 years too late.......

Actually, the cities are based on Apple Maps, so they are totally different from the original game:

;)
  • Reply 8 of 17
    gerritgerrit Posts: 29member
    I've played the PC version and the problems with this game go well beyond unavailable servers and DRM. There's a good reason the game was in Amazon's bargain bin only a week after release. The sad thing is, I have no doubt EA will ratchet the price back up to the launch price for Mac users.. When Mac users could buy the PC version for half as much and get the Mac version for free, if they only had a way to install it.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member

Does anyone really care about this shitty game? Its been completely ruined! Thanks EA! Good job!

• Reply 10 of 17
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    EA are like Zynga, they get a game and thoroughly ruin it by attempting to wrong every last cent from it.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    SimCity was great when it was black and white and I was in the 6th grade. This... not so much.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    The news of this happening was met with the same level of excitement as news about Kim Kardashian's butt size.

Yeah, they made a real ass out of this ;p

I could see me playing this on my plane trips....NOT. It's beyond stupid when a company gets so obsessed with DRM to the detriment of the consumer experience. Always online is just xxxxxxd!

I remember when the music companies did this - when you put a cd into the pc you could only play it with a bespoke player meaning I couldn't load it into sonys sonic stage (there was no iTunes then). It drove me insane to the point where I found out how to copy the disc and remove the DRM - my disc, my enjoyment, so no piracy done - but I had learnt how to do it because of there complete ignorance that this might really upset people. I wrote to the record company and the website had crashed due to the angry tidal wave of customers like me.

What we need is either a uturn from EA - I'm not a pirate, but don't spoil my enjoyment. Find another way to protect your game. Or.... A DECENT HACK - so that we ca enjoy it wherever and when every we want - nothing illegal about that if we pay for the game.

EA - listen.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member

Good companies bring great products to their customers. The result ist customer satisfaction and long-term success.

Bad companies screw their customers for short term profit. The result is financial troubles, restructuring, lost jobs, irrelevance. 

EA, Sony, Adobe are all in the same group...

• Reply 14 of 17
    henrybhenryb Posts: 9member
    Is this true? Can you only play SimCity while connected to the internet? If so, this is crazy. I want to build my cities offline and store them on my computer. The ability to work offline makes me feel l have proper ownership and control of my creation. It is more empowering and flexible. Whereas the permanent online version makes me feel like i am just another cog in the system. A worker ant rather than a master of the universe.

EA - you really need to rethink this issue because it undermines the very essence of what SimCity is all about.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    flabberflabber Posts: 100member

And the stupid thing is, you have to pay either 60-80 bucks (deluxe version), even though it's a multi-platform license. Meaning you can also pay ±30 bucks for the PC version, and use that license for your Mac. They're actually trying to make Mac users pay double the price for a game that's been out for a while ánd is cheaper on a PC. Sorry EA, but you're officially a bunch of losers in my opinion.

Not to mention the buggy-ness of the game. They're at update 7 already, and it's still not fixed up to a point where the game is comfortably playable without running into annoying and ridiculous bugs that shouldn't even exist in the first place. 

The same goes for Bioshock Infinite for Mac as well… full price for a game you're better off buying for the PC and using that license for the Mac. Their Origin Store is a huge scam when it comes to Mac games. Steam, even though I'm not a huge fan of it either, is at least a whole lot better in that regard.

p.s.: if you still need that obnoxious DRM where you have to be online at all times (or at least every x-hours), I'll buy a license and then download a crack. I want to play this game on my own terms after paying for it… wether that's on a plane or just on the couch without nééding to be online.

• Reply 16 of 17
    macartmacart Posts: 78member
  • Reply 17 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Who gives a frick? At this point, we should be actively petitioning for them not to even release it on OS X.

It's an utter train wreck of a game. Completely unplayable.