Ex-Apple CEO Scully's startup gets Shine wearable activity tracker into Apple Stores

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

Steve never spoke to Sculley again. There is no way in Hell Job's would have allowed this product sold in his stores. Just visited the "Shine" (sounds like a Microsoft naming vernacular) website. It's full of fashion models wearing the device in outrageous situations. Maybe it's just me but it turns me off. Sculley's trying awfully hard to be more like Steve. Why bother with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

This could be amusing if Apple has agreed to sell his activity trackers just as they're about to release a watch that has this function plus many more.

Steve reaches out from beyond the grave and gives Scully the FU one last time by publicly humiliating and bankrupting him.

YES. I like your positive twist on this. Makes me have a new perspective from my earlier post. Let's get Sculley's hopes up by selling it through the store. Introduce the tech to the masses then destroy him with our own product which blows his shit out of the water. Good angle, I feel much better.

• Reply 22 of 29
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Interesting product. I don't know if I'd buy one, but it does look kind of interesting.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    1. It looks like a pocket watch
    2. Why is the logo a bow tie?
    3. Steve was stripped of management duties, physically relocated away from others, and given no responsibilities. So he left.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    1. It looks like a pocket watch
    2. Why is the logo a bow tie?
    3. Steve was stripped of management duties, physically relocated away from others, and given no responsibilities. So he left.

It's called 'constructive termination'. In virtually every respect (including legal), it's the same as firing him.

The only difference is that gutless managers with absolutely no leadership skills will play that type of game instead of being honest.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    jragosta wrote: »
    It's called 'constructive termination'. In virtually every respect (including legal), it's the same as firing him.

The only difference is that gutless managers with absolutely no leadership skills will play that type of game instead of being honest.

Exactly why years later Sculley can claim he didn't (technically) fire Steve.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Hey look Appleinsider covered my forum post. I win the Internet.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    "Do you want to sell activity trackers for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?"

ROFL. Spot on!
  • Reply 28 of 29
    I wouldn't put a $0.10 into Scully's product. Talk about a modern day Benedict Arnold.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jragosta wrote: »
    There's no difference between "your services are not required" and "you're fired" when you're talking about the CEO level. Pretending that there's a difference is just splitting hairs.

Ah, ok, thank you.

[edit] Found a good article on the subject, which has his letter:

Dear Mike,
    This morning’s papers carried suggestions that Apple is considering removing me as Chairman. I don’t know the source of these reports, but they are both misleading to the public and unfair to me.
    You will recall that at last Thursday’s board meeting I stated that I had decided to start a new venture, and tendered my resignation as Chairman.

The board declined to accept my resignation and asked me to defer it for a week. I agreed to do so in light of the encouragement the Board offered with regard to the proposed new venture and the indications that Apple would invest in it. On Friday, after I told John Sculley who would be joining me, he confirmed Apple’s willingness to discuss areas of possible collaboration between Apple and my new venture.

Subsequently the Company appears to be adopting a hostile posture toward me and the new venture. Accordingly, I must insist upon the immediate acceptance of resignation. I would hope that in any statement it feels it must issue, the Company will make it clear the decision to resign as Chairman was mine.

I find myself both saddened and perplexed by the management’s conduct in this matter which seems to me contrary to Apple’s best interests. Those interests remain a matter of deep concern to me, both because of my past association with Apple and the substantial investment I retain in it.

I continue to hope that calmer voices within the Company may yet be heard. Some Company representatives have said they fear I will use proprietary Apple technology in my new venture. There is no basis for any such concern. If that concern is the real source of Apple’s hostility to the venture, I can allay it.
    As you know, the company’s recent reorganization left me with no work to do and no access even to regular management reports. I am but 30 and want still to contribute and achieve.
    After what we have accomplished together, I would wish our parting to be both amicable and dignified.
    Yours sincerely,
    Steven P. Jobs

And an even longer article: http://lowendmac.com/orchard/06/1002.html