BlackBerry officially puts itself up for sale, but potential buyers are limited

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where do you come up with this stuff? That can't be a serious claim. Apple is a tiny player?

He is, of course, referring to the "mantra" of the iHater crowd. They most certainly DO claim Apple is a tiny, minor, irrelevant player that has been defeated by both Microsoft and Google and thrown onto the trash heap of history. Just ask any one of them here on AI. They'll set you straight.

• Reply 22 of 88
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

The iPhone 4 will see iOS7, but it's performance while runing iOS7 makes me think twice about it. ..

You mean like iOS 6 on my 3GS?? image  Yes, I have already put the cash aside for the next model, after 3 1/2 years it is a good time to upgrade.

• Reply 23 of 88
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

HTC and Lenovo Cant buy it for Political Reasons.

Patents isn't even worth 2B and even they are 1B, It will be a Joint Buying like from Nortel Wireless

Google already has Motorola.

Samsung dont need them.

Microsoft has Nokia.

HP and IBM not in, so who else?

Sounds like really dead in the water to me. Its market value of 5B is highly valued, even 2B is too much.

• Reply 24 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    He is, of course, referring to the "mantra" of the iHater crowd. They most certainly DO claim Apple is a tiny, minor, irrelevant player that has been defeated by both Microsoft and Google and thrown onto the trash heap of history. Just ask any one of them here on AI. They'll set you straight.

I hadn't even heard an "iHATER" claim Apple is a small player in smartphones. I think that one's coming from someone's imagination.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I personally don't see any chance that Apple could buy Blackberry. IMHO the necessary regulatory bodies wouldn't permit it.

Yup.

That's the same reason I doubt Samsung or any other smartphone hardware company has a chance in buying the whole company.

The sale won't get interesting until blackberry decides to split their assets. At that point I could see Apple and Microsoft teaming up to buy blackberry's patent portfolio. Blackberry's device and software arms are dead though.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I personally don't see any chance that Apple could buy Blackberry. IMHO the necessary regulatory bodies wouldn't permit it.

Why wouldn't they? (Not saying Apple would buy it)
  • Reply 27 of 88
    blackbook wrote: »
    Yup.

That's the same reason I doubt Samsung or any other smartphone hardware company has a chance in buying the whole company.

The sale won't get interesting until blackberry decides to split their assets. At that point I could see Apple and Microsoft teaming up to buy blackberry's patent portfolio. Blackberry's device and software arms are dead though.

After the way Apple and Microsoft ran an end-around play on the understanding they had with DoJ on the Nortel patent bid they'd be getting a whole lot more scrutiny on this one if they chose to get involved. IMO I don't see it.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Yes, I know that.I still can't undertand the US only part.

Seriously Apple, get your f*cking act together. If Bezos was runing Apple, he would've already used some billions to buy some studios and sell movies and TV shows worldwide at the same price,same day, no restrictions. That way other studios would be forced to do the same.

If Bezos was running Apple, there wouldn't be billions of dollars to spend.

Troll off. If you were and good at business, you'd have one.
    I hadn't even heard an "iHATER" claim Apple is a small player in smartphones. I think that one's coming from someone's imagination.

Seriously? The iHaters trumpet Android's 80% market share (shipment).
  • Reply 29 of 88
    jungmark wrote: »

Troll off. If you were and good at business, you'd have one.
    Seriously? The iHaters trumpet Android's 80% market share (shipment).

That's hardly claiming "Apple is a small player in smartphones". The days of circling the wagons is long gone. Apple is a beast in mobile and no one claims they aren't.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    IMHO Apple should buy them in whole or part. Better to get the patents and IP rather than allow a legal enemy to obtain them and shield themselves or strengthen their position against you.

Blackberry has always had a strong government presence so Apple could use that to move deeper into enterprise. I know they have made a lot of headway there but more would definitely pad the bottom line.

Blackberry was working in the automotive space too. Again absorb and use the tech if it helps.

Just one opinion FOR.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's hardly claiming "Apple is a small player in smartphones". The days of circling the wagons is long gone. Apple is a beast in mobile and no one claims they aren't.

Their words deny it

Their actions confirm it

• Reply 32 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Happened even faster than I predicted. Wow. Textbook lesson in how to ignore seismic market shifts.

Yep, in a word, "complacency!"

Not complacency, pride.

They were in denial for a year or so thinking that touch screen was just a fad and that a physical keyboard would win out in the end.

They should have jumped on Android right away.

They still could go with Android but their pride is getting in the way.

• Reply 33 of 88
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

No one claimed that Apple was a small player in smart phones.

I said that the iHaters were constantly claiming that Apple was a small player in mobile phones - and they do.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    mstone wrote: »
    Not complacency, pride.

They were in denial for a year or so thinking that touch screen was just a fad and that a physical keyboard would win out in the end.

They should have jumped on Android right away.

They still could go with Android but their pride is getting in the way.

I disagree blackberry should have never gone android.

The benefit of blackberry was a closed safe secure ecosystem. All the things android is not.

If anything blackberry should have partnered with Microsoft and moved to windows phone with Nokia.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Maybe Jeff Bezos will buy it. He likes to buy things that will soon be extinct.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    They deserve it because they're dumb! Honest!

First, they were asleep or too proud to understand what Steve Jobs announced, ie; iPhone 2007.

Second, their so idiotic way of advertising Wake Up was the dumbest any company could ever come up with.

I felt so bad for Apple store employees as well as customers who were in that store when those morons wearing some black dress holding Wake Up signs!

Everyone thought it was Samsung! But those idiots even though they denied it but supported whoever was behind it because they didn't go after Samsung.

How dumb Samsung is and when it will be their turn to go down the toilet!
  • Reply 37 of 88
    jragosta wrote: »
    No one claimed that Apple was a small player in smart phones.

I said that the iHaters were constantly claiming that Apple was a small player in mobile phones - and they do.

We'll just disagree then. You won't bother looking for who's claimed that, at least in several years, and there's no proving a negative. No biggie either way, but it does seem like a throwback to the old wagon circlin' from the day's when Apple really was a small player. Those days are long, long gone.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Can you show an example.

• Reply 39 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pujones1 wrote: »
    IMHO Apple should buy them in whole or part. Better to get the patents and IP rather than allow a legal enemy to obtain them and shield themselves or strengthen their position against you.

Blackberry has always had a strong government presence so Apple could use that to move deeper into enterprise. I know they have made a lot of headway there but more would definitely pad the bottom line.

Blackberry was working in the automotive space too. Again absorb and use the tech if it helps.

Just one opinion FOR.

Their patents are coming up on the 20 year mark when then anyone can use that tech. It'll be wasting good money buying BB for patents that will soon expire.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Google will buy it. They buy everything. Their business plan is to incrementally co-opt and acquire anything of value. Advertisers and cockroaches will be all that remains. Resistance is futile.