Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

"New iPhone has screws in different places"

Apple is screwed ..... differently. :)

• Reply 22 of 37
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

The improved dual-LED flash that should be quite the awesome flashlight as well.

Apple will finally kill off those godawful flashlight apps with iOS 7.

Built-in flashlight feature in iOS 7's Control Center.  Finally.

Dont know if you are being sarcastic, but I do like the idea of the built in flash light item (im in the dark alot :) ). But I can see(pun intended... get it) how others won't like it.

That said, except for possibly the new nokia 1020, the iphone camera is probably still the best phone camera.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

I have actual concerns about the rumored finger print scanner itself.

I do like the idea of added security, but how fast can a "home button finger print scanner" identify the proper user and unlock the screen?

I am hoping that there is some new breakthrough in this technology that allows for near instantaneous identification.

I'm worried that the time it takes for the phone to reconize the user and unlock the device may become so annoying that the feature would not be used and a passcode lock will remain for its speed.

Now before someone posts

"Seriously your crying ahout 2-3 seconds of your time? Your idiot if you can't wait a couple seconds to unlock your 600$ phone that carries all your personal information"

Let me just say, that I do understand that it's a great added feature, but yes, when waking your phone up 30-100 times a day, I worry about the time annoyance.

I'd still like to have the feature and use it when I leave my phone unattended or in a locker at the gym.

All I'd like to know is if anyone knows if the technology has improved with its ability to reconize and confirm the proper print?

It should be super-duper fast, because rather than comparing your print to a huge library of prints looking for a match to an unknown subject, it only has to check a small library (perhaps even just one) looking for a match to the known user (presumably you).  I'm thinking milliseconds without any problem.

Thompson

• Reply 24 of 37
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

I also, was hoping for a redesign, or at least a one-color back instead of the two on the iphone 5.

What surprises me is that I can't get a black face with an aluminum back. That's the colour scheme for every other product in their lineup from iPad to iMac to MacBook Pro. Why not the iPhone?

• Reply 25 of 37
    sog35 wrote: »
    2-3 seconds bothers you?
    So can you type your password much faster than 2-3 seconds?
    A fingerprint scanner will add security and convience if done correctly.  Something the competition severly lacks

Haha

I actually explained this in my first post in which you quoted me.

Actually yes I can do a 4-8 digit code much faster than 2-3 seconds. Have you ever notice how fast it takes to enter the password to unlock your iPhone?

It literally takes me less than a second to get to the home screen.

Now if it took 2 to 3 seconds to unlock it via fingerprint ID....

It may not sound like a long time. But it is slightly annoying to put your finger on the button and count ......one – two – three – unlocked

But again I'd still like the feature there, I just hope it is faster than that.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    thompr wrote: »
    It should be super-duper fast, because rather than comparing your print to a huge library of prints looking for a match to an unknown subject, it only has to check a small library (perhaps even just one) looking for a match to the known user (presumably you).  I'm thinking milliseconds without any problem.

Thompson

Well
    I hope so....that would be awesome!

Thanks for the explanation.

Truth be told, even the second it takes me to
    Enter the 4 digit passcode is annoying to me. So if this could Actually activate that fast, I don't think I'd ever leave it unlocked.

It's not like my time is that valuable, it's just one of things you just want to activate. Lol

I guess I got used to the phone being unlocked. .

Hmmm....I wonder I'd you'd still need to slide to unlock?

If it reads your finger I would think it should
    Just zoom to
    Home screen.

How likely is it your finger is right on the button perfectly for unlocking?
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Shaking your head (:no:) is, in most Western cultures, a way of saying "no" or disagreeing. Is that ridiculous?

Not that I want to throw my hat into this ring lol....but I always felt that this particular emoticon in question is more or less shaking its head in a Disapproving way as if saying..

"What a naive fool" or "not another idiot" ect.

Mainly because the eyes are looking up to the sky and that usually means that someone is annoyed by the situation or comment.

Now if TallestSkill say it wasn't meant to be rude than that should be the end of it, no harm no foul.

But, I will say that that emoticon....at least to
    Me says more than "I disagree with you."

Maybe they should
    Have one with the eyes looking forward with compassionate arched eyebrows and a neutral mouth shaking its head no. Lol
  • Reply 28 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Not that I want to throw my hat into this ring lol....but I always felt that this particular emoticon in question is more or less shaking its head in a Disapproving way as if saying..

"What a naive fool" or "not another idiot" ect.

At most I use it for "oh, brother". Generally it's just a visual "no", and the upward eyes make it stronger.

• Reply 29 of 37

I'm surprised there isn't more speculation about what Apple is doing with fingerprint scanning beyond unlocking the iPhone. If not immediately, perhaps future iOS will include an API to make this utility available to developers for in app purchasing, etc. Perhaps iOS will be able to distinguish between fingers, thus making the home button an additional input device for specific purposes. Just saying ...

BTW, just want to chime in on the whole convex/concave discussion, even though this was raised and debated in a different thread. Blackberry devices have numerous convex protrusions which have not led to any issues. Just saying ...

• Reply 30 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

Is it just me, or are there other people out there that is a bit skeptical about a convex home button? like a big round nipple sticking out of your phone? 

I also, was hoping for a redesign, or at least a one-color back instead of the two on the iphone 5. But all these are personal preferences.

Can anyone explain what's so special about a finger scanner? If i'm someone who doesn't find the need for my phone to be that secure, or even don't shop on my phone much, what can I get out of the differences in 5s?

My guess, if you don't need the extra layer of security, then the 5c would be your best choice. They may goose up some graphic specs on the 5s, but if the 5c is like the current 5, then everything is fast enough and lag free as it is. 

I'm thinking Apple will keep the new 5s at the old price and may dress up the product in some subtle ways to appeal to user with a BMW, Rolex, and a trophy wife, making the product appeal to the prestige market. The 5c will allow Apple to lower the price with out affecting their cachet status identification. The new iOS7 should make the iPhone a device you can just carry on a two-way conversation with a lot more.

• Reply 31 of 37

Quote:

How likely is it your finger is right on the button perfectly for unlocking?

The article writer, as well as a lot of the posters use "fingerprint" when in fact it is reading other info from your finger, not the print of loops and whorls. 

By making the button convex the softer center of the thumb should find its right place naturally. The word, "scanner" is also a misleading term often used as the reader does not do a moving scan of the biometric data, but rather reads the date in one instant. There are a lot of possibilities with this biometric reader; for example different fingers to trigger different iPhone responses...

• Reply 32 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

The improved dual-LED flash that should be quite the awesome flashlight as well.

Apple will finally kill off those godawful flashlight apps with iOS 7.

Built-in flashlight feature in iOS 7's Control Center.  Finally.

The new iOS7 will feature a white background to the home screen, so you should get a reasonably bright light just from unlocking the iPhone.

• Reply 33 of 37
    The article writer, as well as a lot of the posters use "fingerprint" when in fact it is reading other info from your finger, not the print of loops and whorls. 

By making the button convex the softer center of the thumb should find its right place naturally. The word, "scanner" is also a misleading term often used as the reader does not do a moving scan of the biometric data, but rather reads the date in one instant. There are a lot of possibilities with this biometric reader; for example different fingers to trigger different iPhone responses...

Nice! Awesome thoughts. Now If only I had an upgrade eligible lol

Would be cool if your middle finger would activate "do not disturb. "
  • Reply 34 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Interesting. But scanning does not have to require motion. 

I agree (and have already suggested above) that this "thing" might be used as an input device.

• Reply 35 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

My guess, if you don't need the extra layer of security, then the 5c would be your best choice. They may goose up some graphic specs on the 5s, but if the 5c is like the current 5, then everything is fast enough and lag free as it is. 

I honestly wouldn't buy the 5c if it's like the current 5. Or else, I would've gotten a 5 already. I'd hate for the next iOS to come out and I lose some big features that I waited a year or two for. I'm currently using a 4, it doesn't make sense for me to get a 5C if the cost isn't that big of a problem. "As it is" doesn't quite do it. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

There are a lot of possibilities with this biometric reader; for example different fingers to trigger different iPhone responses...

Oh shit. That sounds amazing! Nice thoughts.

• Reply 36 of 37

waiting for the truth~!