Smartphones outsell feature phones for first time, while Apple's iPhone loses market share - Gartner

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    512ke wrote: »
    Marketshare does matter. Apple is getting trounced. This is why apple is responding by releasing a less expensive phone.

Market share only matters if you are comparing the same items. I'm pretty sure BMW doesn't care about its auto market share. Not all cars are alike and not all smartphones are alike. As long as Apple keeps selling everything they have, it'll do just fine.
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Yes, with WHAT??? We all know that Cook is the last man on Earth! How can you replace Cook? Blasphemy!

Idiot.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Yes, with WHAT??? We all know that Cook is the last man on Earth! How can you replace Cook? Blasphemy!

I shouldn't rise to the bait I know but OK … I guess you didn't think this through.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Somebody want to explain to me how a single company (Apple) is supposed to outsell dozens of other companies making a similar product? Notice that the largest "market share" belongs to Others? WTF does that mean? 

But anyway, as is the custom in these reports, Apple is DOOMED!

• Reply 44 of 76
    Lol! And replace him with who exactly?

Tallest Skills
  • Reply 45 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away.

Neil must have a pretty tight leash around your neck if that's all you can come up with. Where's the old Tallest Skil, the one with the poisoned pen? image

• Reply 46 of 76
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

The carriers and manufacturers are driving this phenomenon, not the consumer.

When I replaced my son's feature phone recently, AT&T had one flip phone, one or two feature phones (from less-than-average brands, and fewer actual features)... and a ton of so-called "smartphones" that ran the gamut from laughable to serious.  No wonder feature phones are in decline, no one's making decent ones anymore.

• Reply 47 of 76
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member

So the way I see it:

1) Other

2) Samsung

3) Apple

However one thing that all these stats don't tell is that Apple isn't really competing in many of these Asian Markets.

It's been repeated before, that the iPhone isn't even available on China's biggest carrier.

It's completely absent from India's markets as well.

What about South America? Due to very high import tarrifs, it is way out of reach to most of the population there as well. I know that Foxconn will start assembly of iPad in Brazil soon but will they be doing the same for iPhone? If so, things may start changing in those markets as well. Very much the same way the sum of all Androids were supposedely killing the iPhone in the US, until it appeared on Verizon and then Sprint and then TMobile.

• Reply 48 of 76
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Shut up and go away.

I'll second that. It's hard to come up with a better answer, and not worth the effort. Anything else is taking the bait.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    So much for Samsung playing the "scrappy challenger" card.
  • Reply 50 of 76

Why do you guys argue tooth and nail, nickels and dimes about market share, and then say it's not important?

Why do you guys care so much how pundits view Apple? Do you have your entire savings tied up in AAPL?

• Reply 51 of 76
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Why do you guys argue tooth and nail, nickels and dimes about market share, and then say it's not important?

Why do you guys care so much how pundits view Apple? Do you have your entire savings tied up in AAPL?

It's a discussion forum and the topic of this thread happens to be worlwide smartphone marketshare. What should we be discussing instead, in this thread? iOS7?

• Reply 52 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

What is the difference between a smartphone and a feature phone? Are most of Samsung's smartphones actually feature phones without too much smarts? Are there even any feature phones still being manufactured or has the industry changed everything to smartphones?

Well, Samsung's smartphones run on Android, which has been proven by studies to be more stable, reliable and smarter than iOS.

Hell, iOS is considered a dumbphone by many non-Apple fanboys. It has crappy navigation, crap AI voice assistant, poor multitasking abilities... The last goes on.

• Reply 53 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Somebody want to explain to me how a single company (Apple) is supposed to outsell dozens of other companies making a similar product? Notice that the largest "market share" belongs to Others? WTF does that mean? 

But anyway, as is the custom in these reports, Apple is DOOMED!

Dozens of companies making a similar product leads to cannibalization, not more sales.

Samsung would have 79% of the market if they were the only android manufacturer in town.

• Reply 54 of 76
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Well, Microsoft is already being sued for misrepresentation of Surface sales results:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423022,00.asp
    "Microsoft's foray into the tablet market was an unmitigated disaster, which left it with a large accumulation of excess, over-valued Surface RT inventory"

This is what you get for presenting "shipping" data as " sold". Samsung is next in line.
  • Reply 55 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Well, Microsoft is already being sued for misrepresentation of Surface sales results:

"Microsoft's foray into the tablet market was an unmitigated disaster, which left it with a large accumulation of excess, over-valued Surface RT inventory"

This is what you get for presenting "shipping" data as " sold". Samsung is next in line.

If companies are to sued for presenting shipping data, then every company is in line, including Apple.

• Reply 56 of 76
    Hi, fellow American patriots and Apple fanatics. I'm new here. I don't normally go on internet forums, but I'm getting kind of desperate right now.
    You see, I've been a good Apple user for so long now and I have looked up to and followed the words of the great Steve Jobs all my life. He has promised in the scriptures that he would never forsake us good lambs and the good Apple zealots will join him in heaven for all eternity while the unfaithful will be sent to hell, where they'll be stuck with Android phones and windows PCs forever.

I met my wife through a local starbucks, where we Apple fans go to find mates. The moment I first laid eyes on her, I knew Steve Jobs meant for us to be together. It was like touching an iPhone for the first time. We dated. We married. Now we have 3 children together who are devote Applesexuals like us. At that time, I was so happy Steve Jobs blessed us with such a good and fulfilling life. We attended Apple church every Sunday and prayed to our macbooks every night.

Last week, my wife came home and her phone made a strange noise. I'm sure all of you have read the scriptures. Well, in case you haven't, Steve Jobs told us about a vastly evil entity that preys on the weak and steals personal information from unwitting victims. This satanic entity was called Google. Google has many evil generals, but the biggest and nastiest general is a demon by the name of Samsung. Steve Jobs warned that Samsung, with its marketing brute, would attempt to brainwash the good Apple fans and turn them into Android slaves. Steve Jobs told me in my sleep that it was my duty to enter Samsung's territory and scout for information. I have studied all I can about Samsung and know every detail of their products. That is why I was able to recognize a Samsung ringtone on my wife's phone. When I asked her about it, she quickly denied it and went to her room. I was shocked. I knew it. I knew the truth. She was cheating on me with an Android phone. I can't believe a woman of her stature could have been manipulated by Samsung and its evil tricks. It just hurts so much.

I'm so heartbroken right now. I can't even look at my children without having a look of disgust. I know they'll turn out like my wife when they get older. I'm just so torn right now and I don't know what to do. I've considered running away from home and taking refuge in my local starbucks with other Apple fanatics. I can't face reality anymore. Please, what should I do? I can't confront my wife about it. It's just too much for me.

Help!!!

All hail Apple and GO AMERICA!!!
  • Reply 57 of 76
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    plagen wrote: »

That's not even close to what that lawsuit is about.

Please read before making silly claims.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not even close to what that lawsuit is about.

Please read before making silly claims.

The lawsuit is about misrepresenting the actual sales data. In reality, MS never disclosed the actual number of units sold (surprise) while previously reported large number of shipped units caused the investors to be overoptimistic.

As a result, "..Unbeknownst to investors by the end of March 31, 2013 quarter, Microsoft had amassed a large excess of Surface RT inventory. In violation of the company’s publicly disclosed inventory accounting policy, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) ,and SEC rules and regulations, Defendants caused Microsoft to issue materially false and misleading financial statements and financial disclosures for the quarter ended March 31, 2013. These misleading statements materially misrepresented the true financial effect that Surface RT was then having on the Company’s operations.”

• Reply 59 of 76

What I would like to know is where they get these crazy numbers from.  Samsung doesn't report sales to users, so how can they possibly come up with a specific number?

• Reply 60 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Applesexual

[all seven posts]

Shut up and go away.