Roku beats Apple TV in owner engagement as video streaming device market picks up

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57

This report is hogwash...

Roku does not have AirPlay which is a very popular way to engage the AppleTV on the local network.

• Reply 22 of 57
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I'm missing a 20 page history of streaming devices and industry info
  • Reply 23 of 57
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    alansky wrote: »
    Considering that there is no iPad app for the Roku, it is hard to imagine that anyone who owns an iPad would choose the Roku over the Apple TV. Also, the fact that a higher percentage of Roku owners actively use their streaming device is interesting but irrelevant to the question of whether the Roku or the Apple TV is the better/easier-to-use product.

It depends on the person and the devices they already own. To anyone with iDevices I tell them to get a Apple TV to those with out a iDevice (hard to believe but they exist) I recommend the Roku.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

I had an Apple TV, but I ditched it for a Roku 3. Quite frankly, it does a lot more, has a lot more available streaming apps (Amazon Prime Instant is a big plus for me since I already have an Amazon Prime account and free movies/TV shows are a plus), and the Time Warner Cable app support are what really sold me. Granted, the Apple TV is supposed to be getting that soon (or maybe it already has), but at the time the Apple TV didn't have TWC functionality.

• Reply 25 of 57
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    I had an Apple TV, but I ditched it for a Roku 3. Quite frankly, it does a lot more, has a lot more available streaming apps (Amazon Prime Instant is a big plus for me since I already have an Amazon Prime account and free movies/TV shows are a plus), and the Time Warner Cable app support are what really sold me. Granted, the Apple TV is supposed to be getting that soon (or maybe it already has), but at the time the Apple TV didn't have TWC functionality.

Does TWC have any more channels left? They've been dropping channels like crazy.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Does TWC have any more channels left? They've been dropping channels like crazy.

There's a crapload of channels using the Roku TWC app for us. We use it in our bedroom and have the whole gamut. The only major network that we don't get that we miss is TBS. But we get stuff like ESPN, TNT, USA, Fox Movie Channel, FX, Spike, AMC, Hallmark, Lifetime, CNN, Disney, Food Network, HGTV, etc. I think there's like 100 or more channels.

• Reply 27 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

By that logic, would every article that is pro Apple be commissioned and paid for by Apple?

Let's hear/read all news, whether they favor Apple or not. That's how we learn, isn't it?

By what logic? He simply asked if Roku paid for -- which itself could be considered biased itself. I'm kind enough to let the one slide since both your brain cells were tied up while trying to be cute.

"Now hearing all news (as requested by StuckPaper):" So you don't get those synaptic gaps tangled up again another reader actually provided an actual source for the answer. (@StuckPaper: I assumed you did not really mean all news as this site simply won't take posts that size)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IThinkIjustSaid View Post

Was this study commissioned and paid for by Roku?

It doesn't appear so. Parks sells research studies. The AI article comes from a PR release for this one:

http://www.parksassociates.com/report/smart-tvs-foothold

• Reply 28 of 57
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Sometimes Apple's obsession with minimalism becomes a significant detractor of usability.

From your keyboard to Jony Ive's eyes...

Obviously part of Apple's appeal is removing the barriers to interaction presented by bad UI design (including remotes) and excessive complexity, but GAD man, there are LIMITS! image Jony thinks we're morons!

• Reply 29 of 57
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Roku doesn't have a Youtube app.

Which is another reason it's better!

j/k, I prefer the ATV but seriously, who wants to watch utoob on TV?

• Reply 30 of 57

Roku has one big advantage: Plex.  I know many people who cut the cord and use this now.

(Could be a duplicate post, apologies if so).

• Reply 31 of 57
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    There's a crapload of channels using the Roku TWC app for us. We use it in our bedroom and have the whole gamut. The only major network that we don't get that we miss is TBS. But we get stuff like ESPN, TNT, USA, Fox Movie Channel, FX, Spike, AMC, Hallmark, Lifetime, CNN, Disney, Food Network, HGTV, etc. I think there's like 100 or more channels.

Very true, and an iOS app already exists, and it should be coming to AppleTV soon too. Although for me, the TWC app defeats the point of a streaming box. All it is, is "cable tv" over the Internet. You have to be a TWC customer (basic cable or better) to access all these "channels" with the app (service). So you're paying for cable tv service you don't need, essentially paying for tv just like with cable so all the "stations" can advertise at you even though you're paying them for the "privilege" to view their "station".

I much prefer the iTunes or Netflix or even the "web site" models of accessing content - you buy anything anytime and it's yours to view forever with no commercials, transferable to multiple devices, and no need to be online after download (iTunes), you pay a monthly fee and stream whatever you want whenever you want with no commercials (Netflix), or you surf to a site like Hulu (not Hulu plus) and watch what you want when you want for free but you see commercials. The TWC "app" is just the same old cable tv crap on a new transport mechanism.

Edit for clarity: In order to be brief I didn't address points such as "on demand" programming, or things like rentals in iTunes, I just tried to keep things general while making my point.
  • Reply 32 of 57

My main gripe with Apple TV is the lack of inclusion of Amazon Instant, and quite frankly I wonder if it's a monopolistic practice on Apple's part to refuse to add it...but then again, maybe it's Amazon to blame.

Either way, I need Amazon Instant since I have Prime and I use Roku as a result.

• Reply 33 of 57
    I think Roku has more content. To be honest, there isn't that much worth streaming on the Internet. Well nothing that is simple, legal and free. Sure there are a lot if talk shows, but as far as dramatic or comedic content with decent production values, and isn't cost prohibitive, there's not a lot. Especially on Apple TV, or short attention span theater, aka YouTube. Until broadcast or cable channels have access, the I telnet kinda sucks.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Put me in the Roku 3 for Streaming camp strickly because of Amazon Prime but I've been exploring other channels also. Would love to cut the cord but haven't found a user friendly way to really do it.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member

Who wants to watch YouTube on TV?   That's one of the main things we use the AppleTV for, and here's why:  In addition to Justin Bieber and videos of kittens and hamsters, there is a vast number  of archived television shows and movies from around the world. Part of my family is from Russia, and we watch a lot of Russian tv on Youtube, through the AppleTV to our TV.  The quality is generally excellent.

• Reply 36 of 57
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

Roku has one big advantage: Plex.  I know many people who cut the cord and use this now.

(Could be a duplicate post, apologies if so).

no offense intended but I think Plex usage by may be a very small percentage of overall consumer demographics.  That's not to say that Plex isn't powerful. Just saying it not as ubiquitous as iTunes.  

• Reply 37 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Put me in the Roku 3 for Streaming camp strickly because of Amazon Prime but I've been exploring other channels also. Would love to cut the cord but haven't found a user friendly way to really do it.

maybe this is just stating the obvious (and I am pretty sure most people are already thinking this) but I am sure its no mistake that AppleTV does not come Amazon Video support. Likewise its no mistake that the Amazon video app does not support Airplay and no it is no mistake that Roku (which recall supports hundreds of channels) but does not support YouTube.  We have politics at play here.

• Reply 38 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

My main gripe with Apple TV is the lack of inclusion of Amazon Instant, and quite frankly I wonder if it's a monopolistic practice on Apple's part to refuse to add it...but then again, maybe it's Amazon to blame.

Either way, I need Amazon Instant since I have Prime and I use Roku as a result.

keep in mind Amazon has an iOS app for Amazon Instant, but it does not support Airplay. So careful before we start pointing fingers.

• Reply 39 of 57
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Pretty silly "report". Put it this way, I wouldn't make marketing/sales decisions based on this piece of information that's damned near a non sequitur. It's barely an anecdote it's so singular.
  • Reply 40 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It doesn't appear so. Parks sells research studies. The AI article comes from a PR release for this one:

http://www.parksassociates.com/report/smart-tvs-foothold

it is quite odd that the press release of an "independent study" directly quotes the president of the company that the study favors.  Especially when media devices were only a small part of the study.