Apple ordered to prepare for May 2014 trial on e-book antitrust damages

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An order issued on Tuesday by U.S District Court Judge Denise Cote, who is presiding over the Justice Department's antitrust case against Apple's e-book pricing policies, notes all parties must by ready for a damages trial tentatively scheduled for May 2014.

Summation
Apple's closing slide in its e-book antitrust case. | Source: U.S. District Court

Judge Cote in July found Apple guilty of conspiring with five major U.S. book publishers to raise the price of e-books sold through the iBookstore, an allegation lodged against the company by the Department of Justice.

At the time of her decision, the jurist did not set a court date to decide possible damages that could amount to hundreds of millions of dollars. Alongside the DOJ, plaintiffs include 33 U.S. states and territories.

Tuesday's order, first reported by Reuters after being made public on Wednesday, outlines the parties' upcoming schedule to argue damages against Apple. As seen below, plaintiffs are required to identify experts and expert testimony by Oct. 11, 2013, while Apple must do the same by Nov. 15. Expert discovery will conclude by Dec. 13, the same day that class certification is due.

The case has been placed on the May 2014 "trial ready" calendar, meaning by that time, parties must be ready to begin proceedings on 24 hours notice.

Following the guilty verdict, the U.S. Justice Department proposed settlement terms that would require Apple to terminate existing contracts and bar any further agency model deals for five years. In addition, the DOJ called for Apple to be banned from entering similar arrangements with providers of other content, such as music and video. This last provision was seen by some as overreaching, as it would extend the proposal's scope beyond the iBookstore and into the iTunes Store.

For its part, Apple called the measures a "draconian and punitive intrusion" on its iBookstore business. The five book publishers associated with the case, HarperCollins, Hachette, Simon & Schuster, Penguin Group and Macmillan, also opposed the DOJ's proposal, saying it would hurt them more than Apple. All five publishers settled before the trial began.

Last Friday, Judge Cote proposed a separate settlement plan that would stagger Apple's deals with the five book publishers to prevent further price fixing allegations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple ordered to prepare for having the book thrown at them...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I didn't follow all the links in the article, but if [URL=http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/08/14/apple-ebook-judge-cote-2/]this one[/URL] is not there, it should be.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I didn't follow all the links in the article, but if this one is not there, it should be.

Good reminder.

And it should be noted that Apple will appeal this ridiculous verdict, so expect this to drag on for years more.

• Reply 4 of 16
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    quinney wrote: »
    I didn't follow all the links in the article, but if this one is not there, it should be.
    Wow, someone should check her phone—bet it's NOT an iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Here's some superb reporting by Phlip Elmer-Dewitt on Judge Denise Cote: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/08/14/apple-ebook-judge-cote-2/

All I can say is: she's still on the bench!?

Add: I notice the [B]quinney[/B] referenced the same link (but more subtly).
  • Reply 6 of 16
    exomexom Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Here's some superb reporting by Phlip Elmer-Dewitt on Judge Denise Cote: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/08/14/apple-ebook-judge-cote-2/

All I can say is: she's still on the bench!?

Add: I notice the quinney referenced the same link (but more subtly).

????????????

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, Florian Müller, and Daniel Erant Dilger...

... and you sheep talk about "paid trollers"!

• Reply 7 of 16
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by exom View Post

????????????

... and you sheep talk about "paid trollers"!

Look in the mirror exom. The three people you mentioned are experts in their fields. I doubt you're an expert in anything.

I have 33 years of advanced experience in digital publishing IT management, that's my experience. Yes, this predates the Mac.

• Reply 8 of 16
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Her mind was made up before the evidence was even presented.  How this woman is still on the bench is a testament to all that's wrong with the judicial system.

• Reply 9 of 16
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    quinney wrote: »

Exactly. Her ranting about them not being repentant is a sure sign that it's not about the law. The law says absolutely nothing about a company needing to be repentant, nor does the law state that the penalties should be any different for a repentant company.

As shown below, Cole had her mind made up before this case even started and was not interested in the law or the facts of the case. I don't have any doubt that her decision will be reversed on appeal - long before the May 2014 hearing.
    john.b wrote: »
    Her mind was made up before the evidence was even presented.  How this woman is still on the bench is a testament to all that's wrong with the judicial system.

That is just plain unfathomable. She really ought to know better than prejudging a case, much less telling the world that she had prejudged it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Exactly. Her ranting about them not being repentant is a sure sign that it's not about the law. The law says absolutely nothing about a company needing to be repentant, nor does the law state that the penalties should be any different for a repentant company.

As shown below, Cole had her mind made up before this case even started and was not interested in the law or the facts of the case. I don't have any doubt that her decision will be reversed on appeal - long before the May 2014 hearing.
    That is just plain unfathomable. She really ought to know better than prejudging a case, much less telling the world that she had prejudged it.

How did she even become a judge and isn't investigated ?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    exom wrote: »

????????????

<span style="line-height:1.231;">... and you sheep talk about "paid trollers"!</span>
    Yikes, seldom are trolls so blatantly obvious. He's like a bomb-throwing terrorist. No finesse. At least he doesn't pretend, guess that's something. Ban him please.
  • Reply 12 of 16

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

At least he doesn't pretend, guess that's something.

If only they could all be that honest.

• Reply 13 of 16
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If only they could all be that honest.

If they all were that honest they know they would get sent limping out here with a bottle of Vaseline Intensive Care.

• Reply 14 of 16
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nikilok wrote: »
    How did she even become a judge and isn't investigated ?

The system for removing an incompetent judge is so slow and cumbersome that it rarely, if ever, gets used.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    This is just one more reason to support this We the Petition. We need to bring this to the view of the president that we have some judges going outside the law to build a monopoly that is going to hurt consumers than to increase competition and break that monopoly more.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-doj-and-save-consumer-choice-ebooks/GF68xsB7
  • Reply 16 of 16
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    Don't open eBooks in the US and move to other countries that is worth doing business. Amazon go eat your US lunch! Apple have dessert elsewhere....cheers.