Structures getting demolished as Apple Campus 2 guts the remains of HP

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote: "Heavier construction is occurring on the far west end of the HP lots (below), where trucks are digging up chunks of concrete."

I thought trucks just hauled away debris dug up by other machines? :P

To be fair, they are robots in disguise.
  • Reply 22 of 46

It will be a second, additional campus.

• Reply 23 of 46
    The headline should say: [B]Apple Campus 2 guts the remains of HP as announcer cries "FINISH HIM!!!"[/B]
  • Reply 24 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ipadcary wrote: »
    When I go there, I'm gonna go to the caf & order a piece of warm Dutch apple crumb pie
    or a slab of warm, fresh-baked apfelstrüdel [end piece] with a measure of ice cold milk!

And I'll tell ya this.
    Apple isn't building this Pentagon+-sized brand-spanking new SOTA HQ based solely alone on iPhone & iPad updates.
    Something H-U-G-E & game-/world-/life-changing is in the works & it ain't an Apple TV set ....

I have to agree. This is some kind of statement about their plans for the future.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The headline should say: Apple Campus 2 guts the remains of HP as announcer cries "FINISH HIM!!!"

The original headline was something like "Windows getting demolished as Apple eviscerates the remains of HP" but then got toned down so as not to be confusing.

And yes, the plans call for major trees to be saved for the site or to be moved elsewhere. There's even boxes around several of the trees on site now. 

• Reply 26 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I wonder if they'll be trying to save the existing trees? It would be a good bit of effort, but some of them look quite sizable and "old." Always nice to save living things if possible.

I was thinking the same thing!  As you say, it's nice to save old living things!

• Reply 27 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPadCary View Post

Apple isn't building this Pentagon+-sized brand-spanking new SOTA HQ based solely alone on iPhone & iPad updates.

Um... not quite "Pentagon+ sized".

Main site: 2.82 M sq.ft.

Tantau phase: 0.60 M sq.ft.

TOTAL = 3.42 M sq.ft.

DOD Pentagon: 6.5 M sq.ft.

• Reply 28 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Yes galvanized steel studs. Article was aimed at sharing pics with you all, but apparently it's just the typos in the filler text that anyone noticed.

Welcome to the internet.

• Reply 29 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Um... not quite "Pentagon+ sized".

Main site: 2.82 M sq.ft.

Tantau phase: 0.60 M sq.ft.

TOTAL = 3.42 M sq.ft.

DOD Pentagon: 6.5 M sq.ft.

Using other metrics, such as diameter, the Apple building is a smidge larger than the Pentagon, so it is, I'd suggest Pentagon sized.... though not in total floor area that's true.

http://obamapacman.com/2011/06/apple-cupertino-mothership-building-vs-pentagon-size-comparison/

• Reply 30 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Using other metrics, such as diameter, the Apple building is a smidge larger than the Pentagon, so it is, I'd suggest Pentagon sized.... though not in total floor area that's true.

http://obamapacman.com/2011/06/apple-cupertino-mothership-building-vs-pentagon-size-comparison/

Good point!  Apple could have put 7-foot high ceilings, and crammed twice The Pentagon floorspace in if they wanted to.

• Reply 31 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Good point!  Apple could have put 7-foot high ceilings, and crammed twice The Pentagon floorspace in if they wanted to.

Well the other advantage the Pentagon has are the additional rings that are missing from the Apple building as shown.

• Reply 32 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Why is this even happening? Why are they doing this? Apple will be out of business before they break ground for any new building. Ask any analyst or AI troll. Ask Constable Odo for god's sake.

• Reply 33 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why is this even happening? Why are they doing this? Apple will be out of business before they break ground for any new building. Ask any analyst or AI troll. Ask Constable Odo for god's sake.

It's actually a secret NSA project.

Shhhhhhh.

• Reply 34 of 46
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    while apple will increase the "greenery" on the apple campus, it will be sad when they cut the trees down... or will they be using on e of those Gigantic tree re-planting trucks that the tree-growing outfits use?...
  • Reply 35 of 46
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    The original headline was something like "Windows getting demolished as Apple eviscerates the remains of HP" but then got toned down so as not to be confusing.

And yes, the plans call for major trees to be saved for the site or to be moved elsewhere. There's even boxes around several of the trees on site now. 

ah, why did they not keep that title!!... an amazing headline!.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Gave up long time ago on hoping to see something beyond 4th-grade writing here. Salvage and "destroy" operation? "Demolition" maybe?

Plus very classy tweeting by this author:

"Why is Facebook billionaire Sheryl Sandberg asking skilled workers to intern for her for free? What a cheap bitch."
    https://twitter.com/DanielEran
  • Reply 37 of 46
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Well, it is kinda interesting how many American corporations build grand new headquarters buildings just as they start to fall. Sears, Union Carbide, Merck, Enron, New York Times, just to name a few. Seems like a symptom of management taking its eye off the ball.

• Reply 38 of 46
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    jonorom wrote: »
    Well, it is kinda interesting how many American corporations build grand new headquarters buildings just as they start to fall. Sears, Union Carbide, Merck, Enron, New York Times, just to name a few. Seems like a symptom of management taking its eye off the ball.

Were any of those companies growing exponentially and chronically running out of office space for a decade before building their new HQ? Or were they just vanity projects.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Were any of those companies growing exponentially and chronically running out of office space for a decade before building their new HQ? Or were they just vanity projects.

Enron was growing like crazy. Merck was out of space at the former HQ in Rahway, NJ. Not sure about the others, although I would bet that Union Carbide was a combination of consolidation and expansion much like Apple. Don't know about Sears or NYT.

But my point which you missed (and I may not have made myself clear) is not about the added/needed space which I don't deny, but the obsession with a grand, new, very expensive, visionary, signature Headquarters building by a world-famous architect. And Steve was obsessed, or at least very passionate, judging by the video of the presentation to the city council.

Perfectly adequate growth space can almost always be rented nearby - for that matter the existing HP buildings have (had i guess) lots of space. But, AH!, a Visionary Headquarters! That comes along only once in the life of a corporation, often (unfortunately) when the corporation is passing it's peak.

I am not saying Apple is past it's peak - I certainly hope not. But I don't like this direction.

The roots of innovation at Apple (and at many other tech companies) are in a garage, not in a billion dollar monument to ego. Architecture has a profound impact on culture, and pride goeth....straight to hell.

Jon
  • Reply 40 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jonorom wrote: »
    Enron was growing like crazy. Merck was out of space at the former HQ in Rahway, NJ. Not sure about the others, although I would bet that Union Carbide was a combination of consolidation and expansion much like Apple. Don't know about Sears or NYT.

But my point which you missed (and I may not have made myself clear) is not about the added/needed space which I don't deny, but the obsession with a grand, new, very expensive, visionary, signature Headquarters building by a world-famous architect. And Steve was obsessed, or at least very passionate, judging by the video of the presentation to the city council.

Perfectly adequate growth space can almost always be rented nearby - for that matter the existing HP buildings have (had i guess) lots of space. But, AH!, a Visionary Headquarters! That comes along only once in the life of a corporation, often (unfortunately) when the corporation is passing it's peak.

I am not saying Apple is past it's peak - I certainly hope not. But I don't like this direction.

The roots of innovation at Apple (and at many other tech companies) are in a garage, not in a billion dollar monument to ego. Architecture has a profound impact on culture, and pride goeth....straight to hell.

Jon

You don't like this direction. Cf. Enron, Union Carbide (see Bhopal), the NY Times at the end of the age of print, etc. Do you maybe see a tiny bit of difference between the raison d'etre of Apple and these other companies?

Apple is a founding company of a technology revolution that's on the ascendency to rival the print revolution or even the industrial revolution, and you want to compare their building plans to those of dying industries. Apple is at the point that Karl Benz was in 1910, or AT&T was around1880.

As for the 'obsessive ego statement,' I'm pretty sure that Steve Jobs was thinking of the level of coöperative visioneering that the building is going to produce in the staff, if it works, like with his Pixar experiment. That it will be an ethereal place to work in is part of the reason. Circularity, torusness, is another: it will be socially refractory, unlike those 'perfectly adequate expansion spaces' they are tearing down—the straight hallways, cubicles, square rooms, the nightmare antivisionary geometry that Steve's countercultural education made it impossible for him to get behind if his company is going to open a new headquarters.