Leaked manual reveals features of Sony's upcoming iPhone-compatible wireless camera lenses

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Does it have own flash or use iPhone flash?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Emphasis supplied in the quotes below.....

You can't buy a 179 gram camera with an F1.8 lens for the same price.

Nor can you buy any smart phone I know with built in true optical zoom - a camera capacity which opens up a whole new set of variables - in perspective, depth-of-field, etc. that even (nearly all) reviewers always fail to mention these days. 

Sadly, the whole mis-named concept of "digital zoom" - which is really simply "digital cropping" (along with the loss of res it brings) - seems to have dumbed even the semi-serious segment of the photography market down.

So as for Apple releasing a phone model more dedicated to photography (at the cost of a bit of added mass, but with optical zoom) - I've been publicly advocating this since, well, 2007...

Devil's in the details, but there seems to be something about "wireless" both of you above are missing. 

The idea of the viewfinder/shutter being in my hand and the cam being anywhere (within 30' if Bluetooth) is pretty exciting to me....

...as for using it on the phone, dunno if the attachment will be precarious in practice or not....

I totally agree!.

the way things are right now, i have a mirror-less camera in my bag with me at all times, if i had this, i could carry less, the RX100 is a pretty kickass enthusiast compact camera, i know my mirror-less has a good APS-C sensor but still, this could be lots of fun.

• Reply 23 of 25

They have to sell this for cheaper then the same point and shoot camera with display. if it is not cheaper then this makes no sense.

• Reply 24 of 25
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Had a Sony (Minolta lens) alpha DSLR a few years back and I liked it a lot (lighter and easier to use than my current Nikon D5000 while similar in picture quality).

It's a lot of money for essentially a compact camera replacement, but Exmor-R and the Zeiss f-1.8 sounds like a killer combo. Nearly 3 stops better than usual compact light gathering. Let's hope it runs on iOS-'simplicity quality' software.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I just think this is the stupidest design ever.  It's like the worst of both, put together as one.  
    It looks like a cool lens system that you attach to your phone, but it's actually a complete (crap) camera that you attach to your phone

You still have all the disadvantages of carrying an extra camera with you, plus you can now attach it precariously to your phone with a cheap plastic thingie! Why not just carry a good camera with you?  
    This design just means that you're more likely to drop it, break it, scratch the hell out of your phone, or drop/break your phone with it.  

And if you don't want to attach it to the phone, it's a fully working camera, but without the viewfinder, making it unusable. WTF?

The RX100mkII is anything but a crap camera, so if the QX100 has the same guts, it's going to be great for the size/weight.
    Certainly a lens with built-in electronics uses up less extra space than the full camera. In a little case, like the dslr prime lens cases, it could be easily carried around in a coat pocket.
    Key question is storage: my iPhone is always full anyway, no space to store RAW pictures. So for this thing to fly, it would need an SDXC slot.