Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac to feature Mavericks optimization, ship in early Sept.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    It would be great if the new version of Parallels remembered the position of icons on the Windows desktop. It often jumbles the positions of the icons when the screen changes sizes which it likes to do for no reason when you re-open the Parallels window after it has been minimized. I use IconRestorer to work around this issue.

That's a windows feature, not a parallels bug.
  • Reply 22 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebensmuede View Post

Quote:

And if the new, additional features are important to you, you can wait patiently to get your hands on them, and you are a registered user of Parallels, my experience has been that it's worth waiting a month or two after a new release since that's when I normally receive a discount offer from Parallels for an upgrade to the new version for $39.95 instead of the regular $49.95.

Upgrade pricing is available on day of release.

• Reply 23 of 28
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member

I guess I should prepare myself for the constant barrage of notices that a new version of Parallels with "XXXX new features running Windows YYY% faster." Ugh.  I only use Windows to run a decent version of Quicken.  

• Reply 24 of 28
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I was always impressed with Parallels. Back in the day when websites/businesses were not optimized for Safari or Macs. I ran Parallels and was very happy. Lots of free updates/upgrades, great customer service and great forum.

It sure beat running a windows box next to my Apple. Ugh! I hated the windows need for a crazy amount of cables, power-bricks and constant security patches , not to mention, the freezing!

P.S. No affiliation, just a good piece of SW!  :)

3 cables more is not really THAT bad: video cable, 2nd power cable (one for PC, one for monitor) and webcam USB cable. Those are the cables you must have (over iMac), everything else can be avoided (wireless keyboard and mouse, etc.). If you, however, need ODD, card reader for other card types than SD, more USB ports... having external expansions (with cables) on iMac brings things more in balance.

I haven't seen power bricks for a while. Some newer monitors have external power because of really thin monitor body, but outside of that..?

Freezing, LOL... OK.

End of the day, it depends what you need Windows for. Most home users, I'd expect, can avoid Windows completely and find adequate native OSX software instead... unless they are gaming. In that case, there is really no alternative, yet. Best you can do is get gaming laptop and avoid all that "clutter" that annoys you so much ;)
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Apple has a problem in the enterprise! The company should not compete with Windows, Apple should EMBRACE Windows and its technologies. And they should not do it by steering people to Windows using Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion! Apple should build as many Windows technologies as they (legally) can, right into OS X and iOS. This means that OS X should be able to network seamlessly and by default (which is now does with Mavericks) with Windows PCs. And, Apple should build Active Directory Master Domain Controller functionality into OS X Server, so Macs can power Windows networks natively. This would allow them to serve Mac-specific services to network clients, as well as Active Directory resources to Windows clients. They should market heavily (they have the money!) in PC-centered magazines and trade publications, and market directory to IT departments and enterprise decision-makers. These steps would help Apple make tremendous inroads into the enterprise, and would show the world that Apple is a serious technology company!
  • Reply 26 of 28
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Apple doesn't care about enterprise, and their Enterprise department was slashed a few years back when they also dumped the Xserve.

• Reply 27 of 28

Originally Posted by danielsutton View Post

Apple should EMBRACE Windows and its technologies. Apple should build as many Windows technologies as they (legally) can, right into OS X and iOS. 

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Why would you want some of the worst software imaginable built into the best software imaginable?

This means that OS X should be able to network seamlessly and by default (which is now does with Mavericks) with Windows PCs.

And did for about a decade already.

• Reply 28 of 28
    Amazon is selling off their remaining physical copies of Parallels 8 for ~$50. It's a great deal given you can upgrade it to 9 for free when it comes out in September!

-Robin