Microsoft now giving away Surface RT tablets to boost Bing use in schools

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94

What amazes me is that Bill Gates' college roommate still has a job.

• Reply 22 of 94
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Smells like desperation.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    stniuk wrote: »
    "What are we gonna do will all these surfaces that no-one wants?"
    "Give them away."

Baller: "But how?"
  • Reply 24 of 94

Foisting their crap on poor, defenseless students with no say in the matter... despicable.

• Reply 25 of 94
    For more than 10 years, people have voted... [B][I]They don't want to run Windows on a Tablet![/I][/B]
  • Reply 26 of 94
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    This is how Microsoft thinks they can build mindshare.
    Not by earning it. By buying it. Good luck with that.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Unfortunately, I think that all this will do is give the participating schools a really bad taste in their mouth for tablets of any brand. Once they start using them and find out what they can't do, the program will be cancelled and no one will stick their neck out to give it another try.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    MS is gets a "F" in math. -1 (Surface) -1 (Bing) does *not* result in a positive number.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

That worked fairly well for Apple a decade or two ago. Many schools had Macs knowing that if that's what kids grow up learning, that's what they'll want to stick with when they buy (or ask their parents for) their own computers.

The difference is Apple hasn't ever given them away. The educational market does get discounts but they aren't anywhere near what Microsoft is doing. Microsoft is just trying to clear dead inventory and trying to get their foot in the door so they can force high cost server client licenses and maintenance on these poor schools. I bet most schools will take them without understanding the extremely high costs that will come to continue using them.

• Reply 30 of 94
    philboogie wrote: »
    Baller: "But how?"

Find a customer who is budget strapped and desperate.

NASA?

I don't want a spectacular crater in the ground with Microsoft's name. Try again.

Um.. public school districts?

Bingo. Operation "Inventory Exodus" is GO.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

that was just wrong. Funny as hell though

What was "wrong" about allenbf's comment?

In my kids' high school, the photo lab had a couple dozen late model iMacs, resplendent with full licenses of Photoshop, etc.  The justification was obvious.

In this case... who, in any school system, has time to waste fiddling with dead-end technology?

• Reply 32 of 94
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    What the heck. They busted all that money in making lame ass surface vs iPad ads.

Shame on u Microsoft for comparing ur piece of crap no one wants with a tablet that people love.

Go back to the drawing board and re think everything that made the surface so sucky, don't come up with more marketing tricks like giving it to schools for using Bing.

Bing yeah might aswell improve on that aswell.
  • Reply 33 of 94
    For more than 10 years, people have voted... They don't want to run Windows on a Tablet!

No no no haven't you heard the softies? It's not Windows fault. It's because of "advances in tablet technology." Everyone has been waiting for Haswell. /s
  • Reply 34 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

This is how Microsoft thinks they can build mindshare.

Not by earning it. By buying it. Good luck with that.

They pulled the same garbage locally when they opened a new MS Store.  In order to generate interest they gave away tickets to a local concert...the first 200 people in line got “meet and greet” passes to go back stage with the band Weezer (because, you know, Weezer and MS are so hip).  The result was that they had some folks camped out the night before and a smallish line of people waiting outside the store for the grand opening.

MS notified the press about the excitement and "fan interest" in their new store.  The press bit by showing the line of folks who apparently couldn't wait to get into the new MS Store...just like Apple! When they showed the inside of the store opening day there were more Genius clones than customers.  

MS cannot in any way shape or form generate any interest in their products...by actually making products people want.  It's just pathetic.  Like their CEO.

• Reply 35 of 94

Quote:

That worked fairly well for Apple a decade or two ago. Many schools had Macs knowing that if that's what kids grow up learning, that's what they'll want to stick with when they buy (or ask their parents for) their own computers.

I'd suggest that this move by MS was the brilliant brainchild of an embedded Apple employee!  This should send these kids screaming to their parents to buy them something that really works...not a hand-me-down no one wants.

• Reply 36 of 94
    Today it is very much evident that this Microsoft thing can never bring in innovatation that capture people mind. They are a bunch of hypocrites see for instance what all lies they said about surface tab trying to project it as a superior gadgets inspite of being a third rate below standard products with lot of hidden cost where the consumer must pay an additional 100 dollars to get the keyboard cover and now the surface tab is given for free

This action has great consequence the world is populated with e-waste accounting for 900 million unwanted gadget that is absolute in term of technology, recycling would be a better option but alas Microsoft doesn't have any brain for re-engineering. Most student will throw surface tab within weeks as it doesn't have what they want today. What a pity to say Microsoft is lagging behind students and consumers 1995 is no longer going to work in favour of the greatest underdog of current century
  • Reply 37 of 94
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member

It's like the neighborhood dealer - "I'll be your friend".  "The first hit's free".

• Reply 38 of 94
    I'm not sure whether bribing people to use Bing is sadder than the fact that they're bribing them with free SurfaceRT's. Has any school actually accepted this deal?

Note how Apple is actually SELLING the iPads to schools, not giving them away allegedly to grow some website.

I wonder if Microsoft's action could be considered "flooding" or "stuffing" in an illegal/anticompetitive way, giving away hardware at a loss, in order to try to hurt more profitable competitors. That is, *if* any schools are actually accepting the deal.
  • Reply 39 of 94

Quote:

I don't recall Apple EVER giving away computers to schools or anyone.

• Reply 40 of 94

I can just see the presentations to the school districts.

Tech: "We can either go with free Microsoft Surface's or pay $329 for an iPad mini."

School District: "I think the solution is rather obvious isn't it?"

Tech: "Yeah, I'll put the order in for the iPads. We could however use the MS surface for some of our portable classrooms. Some of the foundations are sagging and we could stack a few surfaces underneath the portables to level them off"