Ten One Design's new Magnus stand provides minimalist support for Apple's iPad mini

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Ten One Designs, the collective behind the Pogo Connect iPad stylus, have rolled out yet another accessory for Apple's tablet lineup: a minimalist stand for the iPad mini that virtually disappears when in use.

Ten One's Magnus Mini stand for the iPad mini is made from soft ABS plastic with a rubberized coating. The bottom part of the stand features a rubber grip to ensure no slippage occurs when the stand is in use.

Inside, the stand packs 10 individual magnets that align with the magnets built into the iPad mini. Those allow the stand to stay attached to the diminutive tablet for simple repositioning, but when it is time to remove the stand, that can be done with minimal effort. The magnets also contribute to the minimalist look of the stand, as they allow for support of the iPad mini without the need for a front component.

As it uses the iPad mini's built-in magnets in order to stay attached, Ten One's new stand is not compatible with iPad covers such as Apple's Smart Cover. Such accessories should be removed before attempting to attach the Magnus Mini. The Magnus Mini is available at Ten One Design's site for $30, plus shipping. It comes in one color.

The company also offers a larger version of the Magus designed for Apple's full-size 9.7-inch iPads. That version is available through Ten One Designs, as well as MacMall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

Cool ad, brah.

• Reply 2 of 18
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Will it work while installed in a case?  Also, is this yet another item that needs to be carried?

• Reply 3 of 18
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Gets me to thinking about a small thing that separates the rich from the rest of us. They can afford to carry devices without covers to fully enjoy their physical beauty. Though the rest of us CAN do this, the state of mind that modest means engenders makes it almost impossible. Thoughts of resale value, replacement or repair costs cock-block our potential pleasures.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    #icoco3

Will it work while installed in a case? Also, is this yet another item that needs to be carried?

No, you will need to remove if from the case to attach the mini. It only needs to be carried if it is being moved, it does not have legs.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Sold.
  • Reply 6 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2old4fun View Post

#icoco3

Will it work while installed in a case? Also, is this yet another item that needs to be carried?

No, you will need to remove if from the case to attach the mini. It only needs to be carried if it is being moved, it does not have legs.

Two bad features, too bad, so don't want to buy

• Reply 7 of 18
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Will it work while installed in a case?  Also, is this yet another item that needs to be carried?

Quote:

#icoco3

Simple enough- buy a sleeve. Generally not a fan but perfect for the mini. 

• Reply 8 of 18
    I'm a big fan of the Wallee cases because they work with the smart cover on the full size iPad but let me mount it on a stand that makes it look like a mini iMac. Very protective. And no, I don't have a vested interest in the company, I just love their products like I love Apple products. I funded the Wallee-M for the iPhones via Kickstarter and love the way that the case attaches magnetically in my car.

The only downer about these products is that in the UK they are very hard to get hold of and the shipping costs are hideously expensive.

The company that makes them is http://www.studioproper.com if you are interested

• Reply 9 of 18
    does it click when you insert the iPad?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

#icoco3

cases are for girls and homosexuals.  

• Reply 11 of 18
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Gets me to thinking about a small thing that separates the rich from the rest of us. They can afford to carry devices without covers to fully enjoy their physical beauty. Though the rest of us CAN do this, the state of mind that modest means engenders makes it almost impossible. Thoughts of resale value, replacement or repair costs cock-block our potential pleasures.

I think your premise is a bit faulty.  I'm not rich and I never use a cover or a case for any of my Apple products.  

In the case of my phone I'm just careful (spotless so far), and in the case of my iPad mini, it is "battle scarred."  

Remember too that the iPad mini is almost literally the cheapest general purpose computer on the planet at the moment.  It costs about the same as what a half decent netbook used to cost.  There is no reason to treat it like the crown jewels. 

• Reply 12 of 18
    I'm going to purchase Apple care with all my future iPhones & iPads and have no case or screen covers
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I'm thinking "paid PR advertisement" with a headline?

You guys not making enough revenue on your ad hits, you gotta do this mercenary crap too?

If it has a headline, it should be pure journalism. If it is a paid ad or PR piece, it should be labeled as so.

[ADVERTISEMENT]

Like that.

Otherwise, you are wasting our time, making money at our expense.

And before you say "if it wasn't interesting, you didn't have to click it". Well, AI has had some credibility with me. If they see it as important enough to write an article about, chances are it's interesting.

This is not that. Do you see the difference? Not to mention the principle of the thing.
  • Reply 14 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

I'm going to purchase Apple care with all my future iPhones & iPads and have no case or screen covers

I don't think you should think of Apple Care as pure "damage insurance". If they determine it has been 'abused', or the damage is beyond normal wear and tear they won't cover the repairs. Usually.

Although, I once had a MBP fly out of a briefcase that was unlatched. I had snatched the case up quickly by the handle, the lid flew open and the MBP arced end over end, hit the floor on a corner, and skidded across the room. It was mortifying, let me tell you.

It bent the chassis ever so slightly (which I was able to slowly bend back to normal), and broke the superdrive, but nothing else. Apple fixed it 'under warranty' even though I declared it my fault (I had "dropped" it). I learned two things that day:

1 - Apple takes good care of long-standing, loyal customers. 

2- The MBP is a helluva lot tougher than it looks.

I used that machine another two years before replacing it.

That's the only time I've ever needed Apple Care, but I wouldn't count on receiving the same treatment.

• Reply 15 of 18
    Wait till iPad Mini Retina comes out! Will the stand work with it?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Now that AI is turning into iLounge perhaps we'll have raffles on here for free giveaways too?

• Reply 17 of 18
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Two bad features, too bad, so don't want to buy

Yeah, no one cares if you buy it or not.
  • Reply 18 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Yeah, no one cares if you buy it or not.

1. I don't have an iPad Mini.

2. It was a play on two, too, and to all in one sentence.

3. Smile once in awhile.