Apple's Embark acquisition could bring transit information to Apple Maps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    gazoobee wrote: »
    The sad thing here is that even though they are (finally!) moving on this, it will be at least iOS 8 before we actually see usable information in Apple's maps. Maybe by that time they will have maps of my city that aren't a joke also? So that's two or three full years of their maps not working at all before they (might) be okay again. Great.
    Being using Apple Maps in the Los Angels Orange County areas with good results
  • Reply 22 of 35
    k2kw wrote: »
    I think that Apple should purchase HTC. HTC has made very good phones like the One. They have needed manufacturing capacity. Apple should switch them over to IOS and let them make phones that are released when At different times than when apple releases products.

Apple makes great looking phones but they aren't the only ones capable of beautiful products. As it is their output is too restricted by the time constraints of individuals like jony Ive. They need to radically expand the IOS user base and the best way to do that is via an acquisition that could act as semi-independent subsidiary.

If Google can buy Moto then Apple can buy HTC.
    How about Apple make an Android phone
  • Reply 23 of 35
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member

Quote:

Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

I think that Apple should purchase HTC. HTC has made very good phones like the One. They have needed manufacturing capacity. Apple should switch them over to IOS and let them make phones that are released when At different times than when apple releases products.

Apple makes great looking phones but they aren't the only ones capable of beautiful products. As it is their output is too restricted by the time constraints of individuals like jony Ive. They need to radically expand the IOS user base and the best way to do that is via an acquisition that could act as semi-independent subsidiary.

If Google can buy Moto then Apple can buy HTC.

If all it took to make an acquisition work was to have the money to make the deal, Apple wouldn't have stopped with HTC. Apple has the money to buy Netflix and Nokia. They can throw in Nvidia and BBRY just for laughs. When they're done making the respective shareholders of these companies ridiculously rich, Apple would still have plenty of cash leftover. 

That's not how an acquisition becomes successful. And HTC is a terrible candidate for an acquisition on so many levels. HTC doesn't own any manufacturing capacity of their own. Unless I'm mistaken, they design the devices but others manufacture them. And why stop at just buying HTC and running them as a semi-independent subsidiary. Why not go for universal licensing? That will "radically expand the iOS user base."

• Reply 24 of 35

This is good news. In 2011, Americans took 10.4 billion trips on public transportation, the 2nd highest annual ridership number since 1957.

Excluding transit directions from Apple Maps never made much sense. The 3rd party app integration is an unreliable and ungraceful kludge, at best. Not very Apple-like at all. 

• Reply 25 of 35
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pujones1 View Post

This is what Apple needs to do. Quickly fix all shortcomings of the maps app through acquisition of personnel and technology with experience in that sector.

Acquire as many companies with valid/usable technology and patents as 10 billion will buy.

Continue to innovate but at an accelerated rate to bring those products to market.

Make a bigger better screen for the iPhone sooner rather than later. Not a phablet but at least 4.5-5".

Continue to grow the Apple Eco system.

And maybe be one ad about the failings of android or Samsung. Please!!!

Ridiculous.
    Apple doesn't need, nor should it ever, address the competition. Apple's ads, like luxury brands, don't need to acknowledge the competition. Why give Samsung screen time?
    A larger screen isn't innovation. Unless you're Samsuck.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    For those interested, here's another Apple site that focuses on Apple patents.

http://www.patentlyapple.com
  • Reply 27 of 35
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Embark: great products!

• Reply 28 of 35
    For Apple to really get a handle on their multitude of competitors, they need to start buying up or taking controlling interests in the companies that supply materials to make those products. In other words, buy up the miners, plastics suppliers, base component suppliers, etc. Hit 'em right in their pocketbooks.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

For Apple to really get a handle on their multitude of competitors, they need to start buying up or taking controlling interests in the companies that supply materials to make those products. In other words, buy up the miners, plastics suppliers, base component suppliers, etc. Hit 'em right in their pocketbooks.

Are you really that crazy or just having mindless moments?

• Reply 30 of 35
    If they can buy the little start up companies in the US for a reasonable price, they should also buy other local mapping companies outside if the states. That would improve the quality of Maps outside of North America, where the real issues are.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

If all it took to make an acquisition work was to have the money to make the deal, Apple wouldn't have stopped with HTC. Apple has the money to buy Netflix and Nokia. They can throw in Nvidia and BBRY just for laughs. When they're done making the respective shareholders of these companies ridiculously rich, Apple would still have plenty of cash leftover. 

That's not how an acquisition becomes successful. And HTC is a terrible candidate for an acquisition on so many levels. HTC doesn't own any manufacturing capacity of their own. Unless I'm mistaken, they design the devices but others manufacture them. And why stop at just buying HTC and running them as a semi-independent subsidiary. Why not go for universal licensing? That will "radically expand the iOS user base."

Agreed! Acquisitions for acquisitions sake and you turn into HP! See where that got them!

• Reply 32 of 35
    realistic wrote: »
    Are you really that crazy or just having mindless moments?

Thanks for trolling. Go back to sleep now.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    If they can buy the little start up companies in the US for a reasonable price, they should also buy other local mapping companies outside if the states. That would improve the quality of Maps outside of North America, where the real issues are.

Which companies in particular?
  • Reply 34 of 35
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Yep...mass transit is definitely needed for maps, as is bike routes. Bike routes should be easy because it's mostly the same as walking routes with the restriction that you can't go down a one-way street the wrong way, although Apple could take it one step farther than Google if they highlighted bike lanes and "rail trails". I noticed recently that the Cape Cod rail trails aren't on Apple's maps at all, although one entrance to a rail trail is.

It seems to me that Apple didn't really need to buy a company to get train data, since that's a manageable amount of information and it's easily accessible - the largest mass transit subway system is NYC's and that's 468 stations. I bet I could personally plug these into a map in a few days. BART (SF) has 44 stations, Boston has 270 including light rail, Washington, DC has 86, Chicago has 145 and the L.A. subway has 80. London has 270, Paris has 303, the Munich U-Bahn has 100 and the S-Bahn has 148, Tokyo has 179, Moscow has 188, etc.

But bus info is far more complex and a bit harder to come by, so it makes sense to buy a company for that data.

I'd also like to see more intelligent use of traffic data. If you're coming up on a traffic jam, Maps combined with Siri should ask you if you want a new route. You simply answer "Yes" and it re-routes.

I'd also like the ability to pin a bunch of restaurants or sites on a map and have the Maps app tell me when they're coming up and how far away from my chosen route they are.

These are the kinds of incremental improvements that can make these apps far more useful. While the critics scream for Apple to come up with a whole new line of products, usability and functional improvements are what we really need.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Here in Uruguay we have at least two apps that have all the bus routes and they are fairly accurate and keep up to date with the changes to the schedules and routes.
    If we could get that info integrated into the Apple maps app it would make it way more useful.
    I'm thinking most countries have some kind of like these.
    Which companies in particular?