Apple trimming iMac inventory ahead of Haswell models while resellers cut prices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    If you buy Mini with Apple display you can spend more money than on iMac with much more power and much less cables.
    Mini is good only as a cheap entrance to Apples world if you dont care about power and style.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    phalsehud wrote: »
    I would hope they continue to offer the 21.5" or similar sized configuration. Not everyone needs massive desktop screens. I'm hoping that IF Apple update their display they would offer a 21.5" display as well as the 27" model currently offered.

Unfortunately, there's no one 'right' size. For me, I'd prefer 24". 21" is too small and 27" is too big. Obviously, other people see it differently. Even if Apple were to offer 5 sizes of iMacs, not everyone would be happy.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Apple needs to offer a scalable screen. Pull on the side and it grows, press your thumb to the top and it gets smaller.

• Reply 24 of 26
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggydobby View Post

Mini is good only as a cheap entrance to Apples world if you dont care about power and style.

That sounds very Napoleonian...

• Reply 25 of 26
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggydobby View Post

What if you have a 27" IPS from Dell when you had a windows PC 3 yrs ago, but now you want to switch to Mac?  A Mini would be perfect in that situation and an iMac wouldn't be.  Not to mention, with the iMac being an AIO- if something goes wrong on it, you throw away everything (if it cant be repaired).  That said- I have an iMac and prefer it for my normal computer.  But I have a mini as a server at my home for a side business so I can access a database from any location- no need for a screen when I can just screen share- an iMac would be ridiculous in my situation.  I understand the appeal for a mini- and its vast- not just a cheap alternative with less power and style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Unfortunately, there's no one 'right' size. For me, I'd prefer 24". 21" is too small and 27" is too big. Obviously, other people see it differently. Even if Apple were to offer 5 sizes of iMacs, not everyone would be happy.

Why not just get some blue painters tape and mask it off to 24".  The only thing you'd be missing out on is full screen apps, finder, and notifications (and youd have to make the dock on the left side).  Oh ya- and it'd have blue tape on it.

I'm just here to provide solutions.  image

• Reply 26 of 26
    jcm722jcm722 Posts: 40member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

4K support would be a total waste on a computer that generally sits less than a foot from your face.  You wouldn't be able to see the difference.

Wrong. 

Oh, and if you're sitting a foot away, you're doing a fair bit of damage to your eyes.

I am very nearsighted, and sit 12 inches or less from my computer. Damage was done at birth. Not everyone has 20/10 vision either. My vision is such that changing resolution makes things out of focus, even more than normal. Again, a visual defect from birth. My 20 inch iMac would look nice if I could drop the resolution down to 1024 x 640 from 1680 x 1050. I have tried changing the resolution on a new 27 inch iMac and it is a no go. Would really enjoy having a 21.5 inch iMac with what the rest of you call 'razor sharp', at a lower resolution. Perfect eyesight isn't forever.