Pandora to lift monthly free listening limit ahead of Apple's launch of iTunes Radio

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

This looks like back in the days Microsoft bundles a free browser with in windows(internet explorer), which kind of blew Netscape navigator out of business.

Except that 1) neither iTunes nor iOS are a monopoly anywhere, 2) Apple is not destroying a paid service (browser) with a free offer and 3) Apple is actually paying the record companies / labels more money than Pandora does.

When MS added the free Internet Explorer to Windows, it had 90%+ of the desktop OS market, and Netscape Navigator was paid software. This does not really compare. (And to be unusually fair here, given how little of an effort Netscape made to deliver a browser that somehow met Windows' GUI and interface conventions... I am not even sure I want to blame MS in this case. Before they started to mess up the Internet with proprietary nonsense, IE was actually a breeze of fresh air compared to the convoluted Netscape mess.)

• Reply 22 of 45
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    3) Apple is actually paying the record companies / labels more money than Pandora does.

Why is that the case ? Isn't the record companies earning more money through Apple ?
  • Reply 23 of 45

Quote:

Apple however relies on the fact that u have a US based Apple account and not IP filtering to make the service available. That is neither a fool proof solution.

My Apple developer account is US based (registered at my mother's address in Savannah, GA) and iTunes Radio does not work here, not in iOS 7 and not in Mavericks.

Do you refer to iTunes accounts for purchasing and iTunes Match "streaming", or do you refer to iTunes Radio?

• Reply 24 of 45
    My Apple developer account is US based (registered at my mother's address in Savannah, GA) and iTunes Radio does not work here, not in iOS 7 and not in Mavericks.

Do you refer to iTunes accounts for purchasing and iTunes Match "streaming", or do you refer to iTunes Radio?

When you go to Settings -> iTunes and App Store, the account you sign in there just needs to be a US account. If that's the case you can travel abroad and still enjoy the service.
  • Reply 25 of 45

Quote:

Why is that the case ? Isn't the record companies earning more money through Apple ?

Several financial blogs reported that (means I can't vouch for that information being reliable, it's the only information available though) and it was backed up somewhat by "invitations" sent out by Apple to Indie labels. I don't know why, but maybe it is because Apple does not impose the 40 hour limit Pandora had. What Pandora will pay now that this limit has been lifted... I can't tell. Their CEO said that royalties will now be higher, but of course he did not give an amount.

Record companies do certainly make more money through Apple, as Apple is selling a lot of music. In how far iTunes Radio will generate more royalties than Pandora... remains to be seen.

• Reply 26 of 45

Quote:

When you go to Settings -> iTunes and App Store, the account you sign in there just needs to be a US account. If that's the case you can travel abroad and still enjoy the service.

Well, it is an US account. I can purchase music wherever I am, I can also buy and rent everything else using my US credit card. I can also access iTunes Match globally and re-download purchased stuff. (Same goes for my German account, with the exception of re-downloading movies and tv shows, which is not available in Germany yet.) iTunes radio does not work here, no matter if I am using the US or the German account, the Radio page in the Music app does not even show up. (Maybe it would work if I had accessed it from the US once... I can't say, as I have not been to the US for a few years.)

• Reply 27 of 45
    ITunes Radio will probably launch in Europe in 2023. I hate it when Apple is so slow in rolling out services in Europe. Anyway, i will not use iTunes Radio when it cones with irritating ads.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Pandora will take a huge hit. I'm also sure concert/club info will also be tied to maps.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Too bad Pandora had to lie. They dropped the limits because of impending competition.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Well, it is an US account. I can purchase music wherever I am, I can also buy and rent everything else using my US credit card. I can also access iTunes Match globally and re-download purchased stuff. (Same goes for my German account, with the exception of re-downloading movies and tv shows, which is not available in Germany yet.) iTunes radio does not work here, no matter if I am using the US or the German account, the Radio page in the Music app does not even show up. (Maybe it would work if I had accessed it from the US once... I can't say, as I have not been to the US for a few years.)
    That's weird. Might have to wait and see if this is still the case post official iOS 7 launch.
    You try rebooting ur phone ? And ur on beta 6 ?
  • Reply 31 of 45

Quote:

That's weird. Might have to wait and see if this is still the case post official iOS 7 launch.

You try rebooting ur phone ? And ur on beta 6 ?

Yep, using beta 6 (for both, iOS 7 and OS 10.9) and I am rebooting at least 10 times a day (not forced, but I am working on iOS 7 GUI updates for one of our in-house apps). And it is not a beta 6 speciality either, I've used all previews from 1-6... iTunes Radio did never show up.

P.S. And all devices are properly registered as development devices, too.

• Reply 32 of 45
    Yep, using beta 6 (for both, iOS 7 and OS 10.9) and I am rebooting at least 10 times a day (not forced, but I am working on iOS 7 GUI updates for one of our in-house apps). And it is not a beta 6 speciality either, I've used all previews from 1-6... iTunes Radio did never show up.

P.S. And all devices are properly registered as development devices, too.

Would the use of VPN based of a US server help ? Ever tried that ?
  • Reply 33 of 45

Quote:

Would the use of VPN based of a US server help ? Ever tried that ?

Not yet (it is not that urgent by any means, I just observed that it does not work from here). Either it will work once the GM is released, or I will give it a try when I am in the US in October. Thanks.

• Reply 34 of 45
    albedoalbedo Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgfsteed View Post

Who cares? Unless you live in the USA, Australia or New Zealand, Pandora is a nonstarter.

I use https://mediahint.com/ for some time now and it works great.

• Reply 35 of 45
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

I think iTunes Radio should be made available on Android, like iTunes was ported to Windows. It leads Android users to the iTunes store, (which is still the best store out there, despite Google's efforts) earns revenue for Apple, and lets not forget the "halo" effect Apple devices have.

• Reply 36 of 45
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    albedo wrote: »
    I use <a href="https://mediahint.com/" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">https://mediahint.com/</a>;
     for some time now and it works great.

Not working for Pandora (FF or Chrome) and naturally not for Netflix without an account.

This is not an answer to the problem that we have here in Europe (Germany like dreyfus2).

Spotify (Sweden-based) had a heck of a time getting released across Europe and even more so in the US.

The media co.'s and certain licensing/artist payment procurement organizations like GEMA here in Germany make this a very difficult endeavor for any company trying to roll out universal streaming options. The Media-Dino's (STILL!) have us all by the proverbial __________! :no: Sad... so sad!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    ITunes Radio will probably launch in Europe in 2023. I hate it when Apple is so slow in rolling out services in Europe. Anyway, i will not use iTunes Radio when it cones with irritating ads.

I hate that McDonalds won't open a franchise nearby. Of course I don't like their food and wouldn't eat there anyway.
  • Reply 38 of 45

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm sure it will still have a pretty quick international rollout, just as Siri did.

Siri ? music company contracts.

• Reply 39 of 45
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    With iTunes match at $25 a year, not a month cost you have unlimited commercial free listening with iTunes Radio. Way better deal than Pandora's monthly cost plus your music is backed up and upgraded with iTunes match.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    albedoalbedo Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Not working for Pandora (FF or Chrome) and naturally not for Netflix without an account.

This is not an answer to the problem that we have here in Europe (Germany like dreyfus2).

That's weird, it works for me on Chrome, from Belgium.