Gazelle announces price lock offer through Oct. 15 for iPhone trade-ins

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Customers looking to upgrade their iPhone this fall can now lock in a guaranteed trade-in price through Oct. 15 at Gazelle, ensuring they will receive the same amount after Apple's anticipated Sept. 10 product announcement.

Gazelle

Gazelle announced its new trade-in pricing guarantee on Monday, just a few weeks before Apple is expected to introduce its next-generation iPhones. As is usually the case, it's expected that the trade-in values of current iPhone models will drop once Apple announces its latest models, but customers can avoid any further price drops once the Sept. 10 event passes.

For example, owners of a 16-gigabyte AT&T iPhone 5 in "flawless" condition can lock in a payment of $330. And a 16-gigabyte Verizon iPhone 4S in perfect condition is worth $185.

Gazelle takes trade-ins on all iPhone models except for the first-generation version first released in 2007. The company also accepts models compatible with smaller U.S. networks Sprint and T-Mobile.

Factory unlocked iPhone models, which can be more easily used on a variety of carriers, are worth more. For example, a 16-gigabyte unlocked iPhone 4S has a trade-in value of $225.

Users simply complete the forms at Gazelle's website, and shipping materials will be sent for free. The customer must then send their old iPhone by Oct. 15 to receive the cash quoted.

"Our price lock promotion allows savvy consumers to maximize the value of their old iPhone and lets them wait until after the new iPhone is here to send in their old one," said Sarah Welch, chief marketing officer, Gazelle. "In many cases we pay enough to cover the full cost of upgrading to a new phone. We've been doing this quietly for years to help our customers get great value despite the potential challenges of getting their hands on a new iPhone in the early days of a launch, and we're delighted to extend the price lock program even further this year."

While the new price guarantee applies to iPhone trade-ins, Gazelle is also an option for users looking to resell their iPad. For example, customers can receive $250 for a 16-gigabyte fourth-generation Wi-Fi iPad in perfect condition.

Gazelle is one of a number of companies that offer trade-ins of used Apple gear, including iPhones, iPads and MacBooks. A more complete list of providers can be found in the official AppleInsider Trade-In Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    $330 for a flawless 16GB 5 isn't acceptable, isn't it? I'm aiming at €600 for my 64GB
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Interesting, hardly any differential between a 16GB and a 64GB (just $20).

• Reply 3 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Didn't Apple already announce a few weeks back they'd have their own trade-in program? Maybe it was just a rumor.

Edit:
    Here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/05/smartphone-buyers-warming-up-to-trade-in-programs-as-apple-is-rumored-to-offer-its-own

Edit2: There's now several articles just hitting news claiming the Apple trade-in program starts next month.
  • Reply 4 of 19

Might have been just a rumor.

At any rate, you don't have to send your phone back to Gazelle. You can lock in a price now, but if you find a better offer somewhere else, you can just cancel Gazelle's.

• Reply 6 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

Not a rumor. Starts next month apparently.

Still a rumor. Not sure how your link makes it otherwise. In fact, it explicitly states it's not confirmed.

• Reply 7 of 19
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Interesting, hardly any differential between a 16GB and a 64GB (just $20).

Interesting?

I'd use the word Infuriating.

They could at least do 4-450$ for a flawless 64 gig.

It's 199$ with contract off 16gig which they offer 330$

399$ for a 64 and they offer 350$??!?!?!?

Great deal for 16 gig. But I'm getting shafted with the 64gig.

But then again I guess I shafted with the original cost to begin with. Would be nice if Apple only charged 50$ per storage upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Well those are Gazelle's numbers not Apple's and so I expect Gazelle is looking at resale value and profit margin and isn't all that interested in what Apple got people to originally pay..... I wonder if the Cloud is knocking down the attraction of high capacity phones for the general consumer?

• Reply 9 of 19
    I'll be selling a pristine Verizon 4S 16gb in white after the new ones bet announced. Guess what? I'll get $250 at least on Craigslist. Gazelle is low balling.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

$330 for a flawless 16GB 5 isn't acceptable, isn't it? I'm aiming at €600 for my 64GB

Based on the last two iPhones I've sold, that sounds a bit optimistic. You'd do well to get much more than €350-400

• Reply 11 of 19
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I pass my devices down in the family - have several folks with original iPhone (not being used as a phone currently) - a couple 3G - several 4 and my 4S - all waiting for potential upgrade to hand-me down.

original iPhone might end as a dedicated in car iPod.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    bclapper wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Based on the last two iPhones I've sold, that sounds a bit optimistic. You'd do well to get much more than €350-400

Ooh, that's quite a bit lower. I see the 64 is £699 which is ? €820. They charge €874 here in The Netherlands. Well, I certainly hope I'll get more that €350-400.

Anyone else in Euroland got / made an offer?

(US folks: this includes VAT)
  • Reply 13 of 19
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

I'll be selling a pristine Verizon 4S 16gb in white after the new ones bet announced. Guess what? I'll get $250 at least on Craigslist. Gazelle is low balling.

As long as you don't get ripped off, you'll be fine.  Phones are something that brings out the scammers on sites like eBay and Craigs.   I really don't want to sell my phone to someone with zero feedback who wants it shipped to the Ukraine.  

• Reply 14 of 19
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ooh, that's quite a bit lower. I see the 64 is £699 which is ? €820. They charge €874 here in The Netherlands. Well, I certainly hope I'll get more that €350-400.

O2 are currently offering £290 for my 64GB iPhone 5 (approx €400) and I imagine that will drop when the event is announced and the flood of handsets on the trade-in market begins. Some are offering slightly higher but their reputation suggests the offer isn't often matched when the item is received. I've used O2 in the past and have no complaints. Good luck with your sale

• Reply 15 of 19
    bclapper wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

O2 are currently offering £290 for my 64GB iPhone 5 (approx €400) and I imagine that will drop when the event is announced and the flood of handsets on the trade-in market begins. Some are offering slightly higher but their reputation suggests the offer isn't often matched when the item is received. I've used O2 in the past and have no complaints. Good luck with your sale

The announcement for a new iPhone certainly isn't going to help anyone with their sale. Last time I sold it right before it was announced, but since they didn't release it in my country until Oct. 30 I had to wait something like 4 weeks. And with a much slower iPhone it was no fun.

Fortunately a friend of mine wants to buy it, and I think we can agree on a price before the announcement. He's no techie, and trusts my judgement, and his, and we'll both look on the Internet wat a reasonable price is. I, of course, hope it will be quite a bit higher than €350-400 because I'd loose €500-550 in just a single year on iPhone usage.

If you're selling as well: good luck!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Oooooh apple....how your products make us F*** over our friends and family to avoid getting F***ed by gazelle.

All to feed our obsession.
  • Reply 17 of 19

I've never tried Apple's recycling or tradein program.  I've used both BuyBackWorld and Gazelle in the past. Both of these services are excellent.   I was a Gazelle customer for years but decided to try out BuyBackWorld to sell my 4 and 4s iPhones and a few older blackberry phones I had since they had higher offers.  I was actually made more money and received my payment faster when I used BuyBackWorld.  I would recommend both companies.  I would imagine that the tradein for cash sites will always pay more than the instore programs like Apple or Walmart.  

• Reply 18 of 19
    I enrolled in the good til October 15 Gazelle program.......

iPhone 5 16gb- $347 on a Amazon.com credit......

USPS mailing label and phone prep instructions already downloaded and printed.
    Just need to pick up the NEW 5s iPhone and transfer everything........

Not bad.....(I use Amazon all the time)
  • Reply 19 of 19

I locked in my offers at BuyBackWorld

They offer price lock until October 31.

Their prices were higher last week but checking now and BuyBackWorld is still paying higher buyback prices than Gazelle.  I have used both services before and they both deliver, but better off taking more money from BuyBackWorld