Apple says DOJ's e-book settlement brief is improper, would give Amazon competitive advantage

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Yes, I can understand how someone could argue against MFN. On the surface, you might think it creates illegal pricing agreements, but it's not clear how insisting that everyone get the same price creates unfair competition. In any event, MFNs have been found to be legal up to the Supreme Court, so there's no inherent problem with MFNs.

In any event, it's irrelevant. MFNs have absolutely nothing to do with the Agency Model - that's just Gatorguy throwing out crap to try to confuse the issue. You can have an MFN under Wholesale Model, as well. It is completely orthogonal to the issue of whether the Agency Model should be legal.
    Why don't you show us the evidence behind your claim that Walmart sells TVs for $200 that cost them $260 as an every day low price?

Oh, you can't - you simply made it up.
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    C'mon, really? We're talking about Apple here. They excel at making the extremely difficult look easy and obvious. Now if you were to tell that Apple can't also compete with Amazon's cross platform readability then I'd agree with you. The truth is that I'm actually surprised that Apple couldn't find a way to make their option the more attractive one.[/quote

How in the world did you make the jump from hardcover best sellers (which is what was being discussed) to Apple's eBooks?

The issue that we were discussing was your suggestion that other publishers shouldn't worry about Amazon selling best sellers below cost because they could always offer some other reason for the customers to buy. That is, of course, ridiculous.

Are you telling me that this whole entire time you thought they meant physical books when referring to bestsellers?
  • Reply 62 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Are you really this confused?

You started babbling about Amazon and said that publishers would have to give Amazon the same price that they gave Apple if Apple had an Agency Model contract with them.

I said nothing of the sort sir. Anyone else can read what was really said. Remember my next sentence 'or Amazon got a better deal from the publishers"? You keep ignoring that.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Amazon contributed huge sums to Obama's election campaigns.  Apple didn't.  Payback time.

yeah but Steve Jobs had diner with Obama on one public occasion and a few rumor private occasions. Sometime it who you are friends with than the move you gave that means more.

• Reply 64 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    yeah but Steve Jobs had diner with Obama on one public occasion and a few rumor private occasions. Sometime it who you are friends with than the move you gave that means more.

Maybe but $$$ pays the bills.