Apple's flagship San Francisco store to save landmark fountain

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Art is subjective.

Not when it's in this context, it isn't. image It'd be great if they'd just up and relocate it, but unless Apple decides to follow the motif with their building…

• Reply 22 of 27
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member

Before this controversy, how many SF residents actually knew it was there? I've been by that fountain several times, and it is pretty forgettable. They should just move it elsewhere. Maybe Embarcadero Center plaza, where they have another-- even more hideous-- fountain.

• Reply 23 of 27

Went to the SFGate site and looked at the revised renderings. They are a big improvement over the original design. The vertical window / skylight on the Stockton Street side is a very clever solution to breaking up the blank monotony of that facade — it draws in the eye in a good way. The inset of the glass wall inside the metal frame on the front of the building makes it feel much less like a big box. The whole design has a much lighter, airier feeling to it. The plaza behind the store now looks like an actual useable, semi-public space. 

Great work by Apple and the architects. Nimbys can be aggravating, but their focused, constructive criticism led to much better design in this case.

• Reply 24 of 27
    They saved an ugly fountain that no one cared about until someone got a bug up their butt.

Proof that Apple does listen to the vocal minority. /s
  • Reply 25 of 27
    citycity Posts: 522member

It's sometimes cold in San Francisco. Many locals would appreciate a perpetual fame in the center of the fountain. One could concoct some historic significants for the fire, given Ruth Asawa's recent passing.

I enjoy her works! This fountain was built to fit the steps. It needs to remain.

Although the design of this store is competent, the architecture is not up to caliber of the prior Apple cathedrals (New York, Santa Monica).  

• Reply 26 of 27
    I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that thing is fugly!
  • Reply 27 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Well TG! I can sleep now.