Apple TV update adds channels for Vevo, Disney, Weather & Smithsonian

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 119
    The Apple TV UI is consistently creeping towards unwieldiness.
  • Reply 22 of 119

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post



    Wish they would add the BBC news App, common on many web enabled TV. Is a very good app, and a great way to see 'unbiased' news in just a few minutes


     


    unbiased???? The BBC is terribly biased. They just hide it well. It's not what they say, so much as what they don't say. IMO it's the scummiest news org after AlJazeera and Russia Today.

  • Reply 23 of 119
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,295member
    The Apple TV UI is consistently creeping towards unwieldiness.

    Agreed, I think there is a major UI redesign on the way ...
  • Reply 24 of 119
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member


    I feel like I'm now getting advertising on my ATV with all this bloatware w crappy looking apps. We should be able to delete the ones we'll never use or at least hide them. It's looking hideous. 

  • Reply 25 of 119
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


     


    unbiased???? The BBC is terribly biased. They just hide it well. It's not what they say, so much as what they don't say. IMO it's the scummiest news org after AlJazeera and Russia Today.



    BBC is way better than either CNN or NBC. 

  • Reply 26 of 119
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,295member
    <span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">unbiased???? The BBC is terribly biased. They just hide it well. It's not what they say, so much as what they don't say. IMO it's the scummiest news org after AlJazeera and Russia Today.</span>

    What a total load of rubbish. I continually find the BBC web site has breaking news about what's happening here in the USA long before CNN et al. Of course I flip between many news outlets but the BBC has an amazing set of in depth sub sections that rival many dedicated web sites in various fields. The science and tech sections are extremely good for example. It isn't all about politics you know ... or shouldn't be.

    My guess is you don't like it precisely because it doesn't put a slant on things the way you'd prefer. That is a reflection of the viewer not the source.
  • Reply 27 of 119

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


     


    unbiased???? The BBC is terribly biased. They just hide it well. It's not what they say, so much as what they don't say. IMO it's the scummiest news org after AlJazeera and Russia Today.



    I am not even talking about BBC news in general, I am talking about the BBC news headlines app that appears on many web TV's including samsung. 


    According to your little rant, BBC must be more biased than the US FOX news network - sorry but that oversight further reduces your credibility. BBC news in general may indeed be biased, but its almost certainly one of the least biased, and most trusted news organizations in the world. 


    Now - no need to further derail this thread.


    More APPS are good, making the Apple TV more useful, but it will require a cleaner UI and proper way of hiding APPS you don't like very soon.

  • Reply 28 of 119
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,295member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I feel like I'm now getting advertising on my ATV with all this bloatware w crappy looking apps. We should be able to delete the ones we'll never use or at least hide them. It's looking hideous. 

    That's an excellent point, we should be able to design our own home screen to show what we like. We can of course reorganize it now but I'm not aware of a way to hide things we have no interest in. I could have missed that, please enlighten me if there is. I also like Netflix's new 'Who is watching?' approach, that is a great idea Apple should look at as each family member could custom design their own interface assuming hiding was available.
  • Reply 29 of 119
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Yes, when you use all the devices Apple make as so many of us do, there definitely should be a look of uniformity across them all. I am pretty confident that will happen over the next year or so as they all get Jony's touch. I get a shock on iOS 7 when I launch Find my Friends ... seeing 3D leather stitching is very weird in the setting of iOS 7! (My caveat is retaining the likes of Logic Pro X's realistic look which is totally OK, which IMHO looks and works great, it's all about the 'need').
    Yeah I hope he's given free reign to make changes across the board. When the new iCloud beta went up the first thing people noticed is how out of place the iWork icons looked. You could say the same thing on Apple's new support page which still shows off iOS 6 style icons. I'm hoping once iOS 7 ships these things will get updated.
  • Reply 30 of 119

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    What a total load of rubbish. I continually find the BBC web site has breaking news about what's happening here in the USA long before CNN et al. Of course I flip between many news outlets but the BBC has an amazing set of in depth sub sections that rival many dedicated web sites in various fields. The science and tech sections are extremely good for example. It isn't all about politics you know ... or shouldn't be.



    My guess is you don't like it precisely because it doesn't put a slant on things the way you'd prefer. That is a reflection of the viewer not the source.


     


    That's where it is so dangerous. It does an amazing job of presenting itself as a wonderful unbiased news source. However it is massively socialist centric, anti capitalist, anti american, and I would also accuse them of anti semitism.


     


    Much of the stuff it broadcasts is amazing (such as their documentaries), but it is the gift which hides a darker side to the corrupt organisation. An organisation which forces the UK public to pay for it against their will. It's socialist centric slant comes from the way with which it is funded, it is biased by nature.


     


    Plus it is riddled with pedofiles! 

  • Reply 31 of 119


    Will we probably get another update soon with itunes radio coming in ios7

  • Reply 32 of 119
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    I continually find the BBC web site has breaking news about what's happening here in the USA long before CNN et al. Of course I flip between many news outlets but the BBC has an amazing set of in depth sub sections that rival many dedicated web sites in various fields. The science and tech sections are extremely good for example. It isn't all about politics you know ... or shouldn't be.

    My guess is you don't like it precisely because it doesn't put a slant on things the way you'd prefer. That is a reflection of the viewer not the source.

    Spot on! As a matter of fact, you're shining today, in this thread. And this post stands out even more. Hats off to you sir.
  • Reply 33 of 119


    I just looked at the new apps.  First, the Disney apps are nice and I'm sure my daughter will appreciate them.  But they do not make available all episodes for a given show.  I notice that my daughter's favorite show "Jessie" only has a handful of all of the available content, versus Netflix which has all the back episodes.  Second, it's nice to be able to get a live feed of the real Disney channel (or Disney XD) as an option to watch.  I'm sure we'll see more of this going forward.  The only real problem is that there is no DVR (pause, rewind, ff, resume) function.


     


    I agree with the single sign on bit.  If we're going to continue to be tethered to cable companies in this new model, the least they could do is link their customers and programming data with Apple.  That way, what channels you currently are paying for would automatically have proper authorization for any applicable apps.


     


    I wonder if watching these cable company authorized apps counts against my monthly data caps? (we have them where I live)

  • Reply 34 of 119


    You can hide unwanted apps from the listing.  Turn on parental controls and you can choose to hide an app.

  • Reply 35 of 119

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    What a total load of rubbish. I continually find the BBC web site has breaking news about what's happening here in the USA long before CNN et al. Of course I flip between many news outlets but the BBC has an amazing set of in depth sub sections that rival many dedicated web sites in various fields. The science and tech sections are extremely good for example. It isn't all about politics you know ... or shouldn't be.



    My guess is you don't like it precisely because it doesn't put a slant on things the way you'd prefer. That is a reflection of the viewer not the source.


     


    That's where it is so dangerous. It does an amazing job of presenting itself as a wonderful unbiased news source. However it is massively socialist centric, anti capitalist, anti american, and I would also accuse them of anti semitism.


     


    Much of the stuff it broadcasts is amazing (such as their documentaries), but it is the gift which hides a darker side to the corrupt organisation. An organisation which forces the UK public to pay for it against their will. It's socialist centric slant comes from the way with which it is funded, it is biased by nature.


     


    I have been privy to indepth information which the BBC has broadcast, and I know for a fact that the BBC has been efficient with the truth, because on a few occasions the BBC was reporting on things I have been deeply involved in!


     


    Plus it is riddled with pedofiles! 

  • Reply 36 of 119
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,457member
    rogifan wrote: »
    When does AppleTV get the redesign treatment? It sorely needs it! Talk about ugly.

    Something as simple as allowing the enduser to scale and reorder the icons would be a huge step. I don't need such massive buttons on 65" or bigger displays.
  • Reply 37 of 119
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


    That's where it is so dangerous. It does an amazing job of presenting itself as a wonderful unbiased news source. However it is massively socialist centric, anti capitalist, anti american, and I would also accuse them of anti semitism.



     


    I don't know how much research you've done into BBC News bias. However, researchers at the University of Cardiff certainly disagree with you.

  • Reply 38 of 119

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


     


    That's where it is so dangerous. It does an amazing job of presenting itself as a wonderful unbiased news source. However it is massively socialist centric, anti capitalist, anti american, and I would also accuse them of anti semitism.


     


    Much of the stuff it broadcasts is amazing (such as their documentaries), but it is the gift which hides a darker side to the corrupt organisation. An organisation which forces the UK public to pay for it against their will. It's socialist centric slant comes from the way with which it is funded, it is biased by nature.


     


    Plus it is riddled with pedofiles! 



    not sure it contains a lot of files about feet, but it certainly was a haven for some pedophiles. Not exactly riddled though.


    As an ex-pat living many years in the USA, and someone who watches the APP (ok on a samsung TV, shame on me) i insist that it is in no way anti american. The coverage is wide, and accurate. Now I also read daily the BBC web site- and comparing that to LA times, Huffington post, NY times, as well sometimes as Al-J, its simply not particularly biased.


    As for its funding, that IS the reason it doesn't have to be biased, unlike Faux News, which relies heavily on advertising for its revenue - (anyone fancy Pappa Johns Pizza for lunch today?)


    You made your point - several times, please leave the thread to get back on its tracks

  • Reply 39 of 119
    If they can add live sports (NFL and College Football) along with apps for ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW and a couple other I would be to the point where I would just split the cost of a cable subscription with a friend. They can have the hardware and all that and I'll just use all the digital stuff. People already do it with Netflix since the value of their streaming service is getting to be pretty low so sharing cable subscriptions isn't that far down the line...
  • Reply 40 of 119

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


    When does AppleTV get the redesign treatment? It sorely needs it! Talk about ugly.


     


    The only ugly thing I see are the Disney icons. But you're right; we're gonna need folders soon for all the content that will be available on it. 


     


    I've never ever EVER liked how Apple does this with the Apple TV. All updates and changes to software should be legally user-implemented only. Hopefully the simplicity of the UI remains if they decide to completely change it.


     


    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    The one thing we all desperately need from Apple at this point is a new Bluetooth general remote. The IR remote is killing me.


     


    Any iDevice…

Sign In or Register to comment.