Nintendo unveils cheaper 2DS console in bid to secure portable gaming share

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I think it's a terrible decision to make something formerly semi-pocketable into something completely unpocketable.

Particularly since this is designed specifically for children, given its low price, stronger construction, and lack of autostereoscopic 3D.

Agree.
    Nintendo will be the only gaming hardware left in five years that isn't Apple, but this seems silly.

LOL. My mouth hurts!
  • Reply 22 of 59
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

i wish nintendo would just port their games to iOS, their ship is sinking.

Well keep wishing.  They've stated numerous times that they will never port their games to other systems.  That includes iOS and Android.  Their IP is some of (if not the) strongest in the industry.  Only the most dire of situations would get them to consider porting them and they are far, far away from a dire situation.  Like Apple they are sitting a mountain of cash and could stay afloat even if their next three or four consoles failed in a most spectacular fashion.  Considering they haven't had a failure on that scale since 1995 it seems a bit foolish to expect multiples of them now.  The safe bet is to expect Nintendo to still be in the game 10 years from now.

• Reply 23 of 59
    Guys guys guys this device is for 6 years olds and under plus to get more maker share! Abit like the iPods etc. don't diss Nintendo at the heart if this is still the guts of a 3ds but cheaper. Bye one for your kid then step back Nintendo is back!
  • Reply 24 of 59
    By the way Wii u is next gen it was the first Full HD version console not 720p. Xmas and new titles around the corner!
  • Reply 25 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did you ever see it? It literally hurt my eyes. The smart thing would've been never to have made it in the first place.

Wrong. A-3D has a place in the future.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

AKA fugly. Who was in charge of placing the controls? They're on the middle and top half of the device, and not directly across from each other so it needs to be held cockeyed.

Again, just wrong. Look at any of the videos.

• Reply 26 of 59

Nintendo is done. iOS 7 with built-in controller support plus a good snap-in controller (from Logitech, for example) will firmly cement iDevices as the handheld gaming platform of choice. There's no way they can compete. Smartest thing for Nintendo to do is bring their software over to the iOS ecosystem.

Selling hundreds of millions of copies at $1.99-$4.99 is going to be far better than their current model.

• Reply 27 of 59
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nintendo needs to make a DS with a 5-inch screen. That will solve everything. /s

I know you were being sarcastic, but the Nintendo 3DS XL actually has a 4.88" 3d screen.

• Reply 28 of 59
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    yensid98 wrote: »
    You need to watch the video again.  The circle pad and buttons are directly across from each other.  Almost exactly as they are on the 3DS.  In fact, the circle and D pad are more cockeyed on the 3DS.  Funny how that's hasn't hindered the system in any way.

Check out this video from Joystiq to see people playing it.  Looks like it's pretty comfortable to me.  The announcer sure is annoying though.

The controls on the top half of the device is still a bad design.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Guys there is no true gaming console left but nintendo, Sony only came on board cos Nintendo didn't want shitty CDs for its games and stayed with cartridge. MS and xbox well is shit they have a loss if 8 billion dollars including the repairs it had to do and people still buy such rubbish? wtf I don't understand it I'm happy to know that it's a game system I plug into my tv and play but the offer two are just pcs now so yeah. As they say when you go mac you'll never go back well nintendo or the highway!
  • Reply 30 of 59
    n057828 wrote: »
    Guys there is no true gaming console left but nintendo, Sony only came on board cos Nintendo didn't want shitty CDs for its games and stayed with cartridge. MS and xbox well is shit they have a loss if 8 billion dollars including the repairs it had to do and people still buy such rubbish? wtf I don't understand it I'm happy to know that it's a game system I plug into my tv and play but the offer two are just pcs now so yeah. As they say when you go mac you'll never go back well nintendo or the highway!

You haven't been paying attention because failure rates for gaming consoles has been dramatically reduced and more or less on par with all other CE.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    This only fixes part of the problem. The cost of games is still astronomical in comparison. 3DS game are $20 to $30 bucks. Cheap non-pocket device that only plays expensive games or an expensive device (iPod touch) with cheap games, Internet, text messaging, video player, music player, FaceTime.... All I can say is good luck Nintendo.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Well keep wishing.  They've stated numerous times that they will never port their games to other systems.  That includes iOS and Android.  Their IP is some of (if not the) strongest in the industry.  Only the most dire of situations would get them to consider porting them and they are far, far away from a dire situation.  Like Apple they are sitting a mountain of cash and could stay afloat even if their next three or four consoles failed in a most spectacular fashion.  Considering they haven't had a failure on that scale since 1995 it seems a bit foolish to expect multiples of them now.  The safe bet is to expect Nintendo to still be in the game 10 years from now.

I wish they were in better shape then they are in (Seems you have been doing some wishing of your own), They have had a few bombs already in the last few years.

Game Cube, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS & 3DS XL, Wii U, the Wii U is a disaster, it was the first of the new next gen consoles to come out, people looked straight past it to the PS4 & Xbox one, both are talk of the gaming world, the Wii U isn't even a blip, they have some strong IP but people aren't buying it.

I know Nintendo's stance on porting games to iOS & Android, I was just saying that I'd like it if they did.

As EricTheHalfBee mentioned, with iOS7s controller support,  things on Nintendos portable side wont be looking better, the price point of $129 US is pretty good tho, is it enough?.

Consoles are a different kettle of fish, but as a whole, Nintendo isn't doing that well, Sega had to pack up shop in the console market after 2 systems didn't do as well as expected, the Dreamcast was a brilliant system too.

Doesn't anyone else smell the desperation? 2DS to sell to 6 year olds?.

• Reply 33 of 59
    applguy wrote: »
    This only fixes part of the problem. The cost of games is still astronomical in comparison. 3DS game are $20 to $30 bucks. Cheap non-pocket device that only plays expensive games or an expensive device (iPod touch) with cheap games, Internet, text messaging, video player, music player, FaceTime.... All I can say is good luck Nintendo.

You're not taking into consideration all the in app purchases many of these games have, a free or $. 99 game could end up being much more costly than a console game.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Having two or three iOS versions of their main titles could prove to be quite profitable.

Mario iOS
    Pokemon iOS
    Maybe super smash iOS.

Those could really work, and they could leave the rest of the titles, and "better" versions of these three to run on their own devices.
  • Reply 35 of 59

The DSi / DSi XL was an amazing handheld. Lord knows how many matches of Mario Kart I played in the office against coworkers. I never purchased a 3DS but a few of the guys did upgrade and it was fun to use it every so often. The 3D didn't hurt my eyes but honestly the 3D was gimmicky to me and provided no real reason to upgrade.

In walks this thing and I'm not sure wtf Nintendo was thinking. The design is aweful, aweful!

Regardless of this blunder I still don't see it slowing Nintendo down in the handheld world. I enjoy my iPhone but touchscreen controls still pale in comparison to a real handheld.

• Reply 36 of 59
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

Having two or three iOS versions of their main titles could prove to be quite profitable.

Mario iOS

Pokemon iOS

Maybe super smash iOS.

Those could really work, and they could leave the rest of the titles, and "better" versions of these three to run on their own devices.

Hardware and exclusive game titles has been their bread and butter. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is still my favourite game of all time. Their action gameplay ideas and development cycle are generally not compatible with touch only controls and a 99c price point. That said a quality pokemon game for iOS, monetised around the in-app purchase system would almost permanently displace everything else from the gross earnings list. I'm not a fan of that kind of gameplay but there is no doubt it's where the market is. Fire Emblem and advance wars would also play very well.

The 2DS is a stop gap but it won't fix the underlying problem which is that consumers are looking for more focussed, better hardware. Not this two-screen, autosteroscopic, plastic clamshell mess with features that add cost, but not quality. To be relevant, modern devices need to be either omni-purpose, like the iPhone, or cheap enough to be a second screen device. And they absolutely need a digital software marketplace structured at least as frictionlessly as the App Store.

Nintendo really didn't react to the threat of iOs in a timely enough manner. Their decline started in the last three years of the Wii cycle. Their output of unique content plummeted and they started re-releasing really old games just to put something on the shelves. iOS has scooped up the Wii market base and the PS4 is now in a position to take the high end.

• Reply 37 of 59
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Nintendo is done. iOS 7 with built-in controller support plus a good snap-in controller (from Logitech, for example) will firmly cement iDevices as the handheld gaming platform of choice. There's no way they can compete. Smartest thing for Nintendo to do is bring their software over to the iOS ecosystem.

Selling hundreds of millions of copies at $1.99-$4.99 is going to be far better than their current model.

I'd love to see Nintendo partner with Apple to co-release official controller hardware for iOS devices. No-one else gets the fit and finish of the console controllers as right as Nintendo.

• Reply 38 of 59
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

No-one else gets the fit and finish of the console controllers as right as Nintendo.

I love Nintendo, i really do, their controllers are far from the best tho.

They feel like happy meal toys, I think they went off to gimmick land & haven't come back yet, saddens me to say, the Xbox has a better controller, even the crappy outdated rehashed 1997 duel shock on the PS3 is better then what Nintendo put out, which makes me sad. 

• Reply 39 of 59

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I think they went off to gimmick land & haven't come back yet

Funny how the entire industry thought they did the right thing, then, huh?

• Reply 40 of 59
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    zozman wrote: »
    i wish nintendo would just port their games to iOS

I totally agree! I wish I had Mario on my iOS devices. Can you imagine the money they would make on games?!?