Google buys smart watch maker WIMM to boost wearable device initiative [update: Confirmed]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ochyming wrote: »
    Oh, Please! STOP this nonsense. 
    I doubt people will care for this thing.

Then it will go away and you won't have to worry.

Meanwhile, it's not hurting you, so why are you so adamantly opposed? The watch business is worth $40 B per year. If someone gets even a couple percent of that with a wearable watch (and, even assuming that the total market doesn't grow), that's still real money.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    macartmacart Posts: 78member
    I wonder when will Apple release Search!
    Siri: Are you serious? I was built to kick Google's gl-ASS!
  • Reply 23 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Why is Google messing around buying a smart watch maker when they should be getting into the clothing industry.

How else are Android users going to get pockets that they can finally fit their phones into?
  • Reply 24 of 60
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then it will go away and you won't have to worry.

Meanwhile, it's not hurting you, so why are you so adamantly opposed? The watch business is worth $40 B per year. If someone gets even a couple percent of that with a wearable watch (and, even assuming that the total market doesn't grow), that's still real money.

I know nothing, i know.

I just think there is something fishy about this smart watch thing.

You see the next iPhone everywhere, but the iWatch is nowhere.

• Reply 25 of 60
    JD you should do a little research and get you facts right. Smart watches have been around before Apple watch rumors started.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    We never heard a word about smart watches. Then a rumor arrives that Apple is making one. Suddenly Samsung and Google are frantically trying to make one. And after the iWatch is released, Samsung and Google will throw out their designs and will copy the iWatch.
    Get your facts right. Smart watches have been around long before Apple smart watch rumors even started.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Get your facts right. Smart watches have been around long before Apple smart watch rumors even started.

Yeah, just like smart phones existed before iPhones! You are hilarious! No, I take that back ... pathetic.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gtr wrote: »
    Why is Google messing around buying a smart watch maker when they should be getting into the clothing industry.

How else are Android users going to get pockets that they can finally fit their phones into?

Google would only get into the clothing industry if they heard a rumor Apple was ...:D
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Apple can upend entire industries with mere rumors.

I think they should seed all kinds of rumors to throw their competitors off their trail and let them waste their R&D and marketing on dead-ends.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Yeah, just like smart phones existed before iPhones! You are hilarious! No, I take that back ... pathetic.

Are you actually suggesting that the iPhone was the first smartphone?
  • Reply 31 of 60
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Incoming shitstorm in 3...2...

• Reply 32 of 60
    Are you actually suggesting that the iPhone was the first smartphone?

No, he was implying that before Apple they really weren't that smart.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by idogwireless View Post

Of course they have. But they were not the hot topic in tech news (on sites like AppleInsider/CNET etc) until the iWatch rumor appeared. That was my point.

• Reply 34 of 60
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

I think they should seed all kinds of rumors to throw their competitors off their trail and let them waste their R&D and marketing on dead-ends.

The industry moves hearing such rumors of Apple coz apple has disrupted industries before in the past. Hence the industry takes Apples directions very seriously now. It's a common thing. Prove your self a bunch of times and it's hard to ignore you.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Google would only get into the clothing industry if they heard a rumor Apple was ...:D

Don't forget the smart shoe
  • Reply 36 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Next year, you, the public and NSA can search your biometric data for free! Plus hear the hourly chime as a 30 sec audio commercial. Thanks Google.

Maybe if Americans were more like the French, German or Icelandic none of this NSA stuff would have happened and more people of American power would be serving time in prison. The whole nation needs to take their finger out and peacefully march on the streets. And I mean the whole nation. Without absolutely everyone it won't work. The 'Freedom and Accountability March' . Without something like that nothing will change.

• Reply 37 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

I wonder when will Apple release Search!

You just said that twice.

• Reply 38 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Sony and Samsung have also been in the smart watch industry for years now.  That's not to imply that they've been wildly successful, just that the idea isn't as new as some here seem to believe.

What is a smart watch? And given your definition, show me Sony's and Samsung's first.

• Reply 39 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

I do not have a phone. My iPod fits in my pocket quite well.

If there is anything, it will not be a watch, in my ignorant opinion. You may have to wear it, tho.

I don't know. When it comes to wearable computing given the current evolvement of technology it seems the wrist is the perfect appendage.

• Reply 40 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't know if that would happen in other areas. It may be that an iWatch rumour worked in achieving that because there very likely is a pretty decent sized market in this area after all.

But I do think Apple should do what you suggested to confuse their competitors.