Rumor: First video of working 'iPhone 5C' shows off Web browsing capabilities

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Am I the only one that finds the iPhone 5C ugly? They could have designed it like the rear of the new iPod at least or similar to that. I think Apple is running out of ideas.

No, Apple isn't "running out of ideas" The difference between Apple's idea and those of other companies is that Apple filters what they bring to market, and ideas stay ideas until they can be executed perfectly and enhance the experience of the majority of the products buyers in a tangible way- unlike everyone else who just throw shit at the wall to see what sticks.  Just because this looks like an iPhone, doesn't mean Apple is running out of ideas. But nice troll. 

• Reply 62 of 71
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    vl-tone wrote: »
    It's thicker because the plastic case is reinforced with metal (so much for plastic being stronger than metal...). There's no additional room inside.

Apple used aluninum/glass in the iPhone 4-5 because it was the only mass-produceable materials that enabled them to make it so thin and still structurally strong (though some would argue that the iPhone 5 is not that structurally strong). By using the same internals as the 5 and a plastic casing they had no choice of making it thicker.

That metal reinforcement may just be EMF shielding and/or heat sink, for all we know, right?

Where's the aluminum in the iPhone 4? All I see is glass and stainless steel. The glass is pretty thick on both front and back, by the way. On the 5, aluminum allowed for strength and thinness, though, that's for sure.
  • Reply 63 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Wouldn't airplane mode kill all data connections including wifi?

Correct it turns off all radios.

• Reply 64 of 71
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

You're right it's a supposition from my part, but I don't see how it could make sense for Apple to give more battery life to their cheap model than the 5S.

And not that it adds any more credence to my theories, the 5C is 1.38mm thicker than the 5, not 0.8mm (according to on video caliper measurements).

BTW did we see the motherboard for the 5C? I remember seeing the 5S one but not the 5C. While Apple likes to spend some time making components/boards smaller, they may have not done so for the 5C motherboard to save some of their margins.

All I've seen is the drawings/plans that were floating around a few months ago and they said 0.8mm thicker, but are you sure about that 1.38?  that's a huge difference.  

You are right about the motherboards, I was confusing the 5S with the (presumably) 5 parts that are inside the 5c.  The 5s motherboard seems narrower by quite a bit, probably due to the smaller process giving hope for an increased battery size in that model.  The 5c seems to be significantly thicker (whichever measurement is correct), leaving hope for more battery there as well.  

I think they are trying to design not just a cheaper iPhone, but a better "mass market" phone, which means more durable, and greater battery life as well.  We won't know until it's announced, but even an extra millimetre of battery size would translate to a large increase in battery life.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see battery life increase by 30-40% for both models although I agree it might not.  

• Reply 65 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

That metal reinforcement may just be EMF shielding and/or heat sink, for all we know, right?

Where's the aluminum in the iPhone 4? All I see is glass and stainless steel. The glass is pretty thick on both front and back, by the way. On the 5, aluminum allowed for strength and thinness, though, that's for sure.

The iPhone 4/4S didn't seem to need EMF shielding on the back, like you wrote : Where's the aluminum in the iPhone 4?

The metal in the back must certainly help at least a little with the structural strength. 

If the iPhone 4 had the smallest components of the iPhone 5 it could've been presumably thinner than the 5C.

Anyway it's just speculation, my original point was that the choice of plastic + the aluminum reenforcement (or shielding if you believe so) made it thicker than the 5/5S, not because they wanted to put a bigger battery.

• Reply 66 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

All I've seen is the drawings/plans that were floating around a few months ago and they said 0.8mm thicker, but are you sure about that 1.38?  that's a huge difference.  

You are right about the motherboards, I was confusing the 5S with the (presumably) 5 parts that are inside the 5c.  The 5s motherboard seems narrower by quite a bit, probably due to the smaller process giving hope for an increased battery size in that model.  The 5c seems to be significantly thicker (whichever measurement is correct), leaving hope for more battery there as well.  

I think they are trying to design not just a cheaper iPhone, but a better "mass market" phone, which means more durable, and greater battery life as well.  We won't know until it's announced, but even an extra millimetre of battery size would translate to a large increase in battery life.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see battery life increase by 30-40% for both models although I agree it might not.  

The recently released videos with the 5C scratch test show a caliper measurement of 8.98mm. Of course this may be a fake case, but these are not FCC marked (FCC marked are the fake ones I think).

The only way I could see Apple wanting to put a bigger battery in the 5C is to match the 5S battery life which may be improved because of the A7, which the 5C won't have.

Maybe putting a slightly bigger battery in the 5C could compensate for it using the A6, which could be cheaper than trying to churn out twice as many A7 for the launch.

• Reply 67 of 71
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

… The only way I could see Apple wanting to put a bigger battery in the 5C is to match the 5S battery life which may be improved because of the A7, which the 5C won't have …

Except you are ignoring the part where there is actually significantly more room inside the 5s because of the smaller logic board.  Do you think this space will be just left empty?  

• Reply 68 of 71

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Except you are ignoring the part where there is actually significantly more room inside the 5s because of the smaller logic board.  Do you think this space will be just left empty?  

Yes. What space? We haven't seen any internal pictures of a semi-assembled device yet.

• Reply 69 of 71
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    It looks cheap.
  • Reply 70 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

WiFi is off when in airplane mode until now, why change it?

You can re-enable wifi after enabling Airplane Mode. This lets you use inflight Wifi, as well as wifi while traveling abroad. It's not new functionality.