Sony's new iPhone-compatible Cyber-shot lenses set to launch this month starting at $250

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A day before Sony is set to officially announce its new Bluetooth camera lens accessories compatible with Apple's iPhone, details on the forthcoming products have leaked, including a launch window, pricing, and even a commercial.

Sony

Specifics on the Cyber-shot QX100 and QX10 models were found in an early press release published by SonyAlpha Rumors on Tuesday. The low-end QX10 model is revealed to cost "about" $250, while the QX100 will be around $500. Both are scheduled to arrive later this month.

Both lenses will operate completely separate from a smartphone, but will allow users to control the camera from a connected device like Apple's iPhone. The lens can clip onto an iPhone or Android handset, while a lens camera mount that sticks on the back of the handset will also be available.

The lenses will rely on the Sony PlayMemories Mobile application, available for both iOS and Android. From there, users will be able to use the iPhone screen as a real-time viewfinder, and also release the shutter, start and stop movie recordings, and control other aspects of the lens such as zoom, shooting mode, focus and more.

Both the Cyber-shot QX100 and QX10 will use Wi-Fi to connect to an iPhone or Android device. But the lenses will also have their own onboard storage, up to 64 gigabytes with a microSD card.

The high-end QX100 will sport a 1-inch Exmor CMOS sensor capable of capturing 20.9-megapixel images with a Carl Zeiss lens. It's identical to the sensor found in the Cyber-shot RX100II camera, and boasts a 3.6x optical zoom.

Sony

The entry-level QX10 will feature a 1/2.3-inch Exmor CMOS sensor and a Sony G 9 lens that will offer 18.9-megapixel images and 10x optical zoom. It will be available in both black and white colors, matching Apple's iPhones.

The QX100 will offer unique features such as manual focus, enhanced white balance modes, and aperture priority. Both models feature built-in stereo microphones, integrated mono speakers, and plastic body construction.

Because the lenses are wirelessly connected to a smartphone, users will be able to detach the accessory and control it remotely from their iPhone. It can even be mounted to a tripod for this purpose.

"With the new QX100 and QX10 cameras, we are making it easier for the ever-growing population of 'mobile photographers' to capture far superior, higher-quality content without sacrificing the convenience and accessibility of their existing mobile network or the familiar 'phone-style' shooting experience that they?ve grown accustomed to," said Patrick Huang, director of the Cyber-shot business at Sony.

"We feel that these new products represent not only an evolution for the digital camera business, but a revolution in terms of redefining how cameras and smartphones can cooperatively flourish in today?s market."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member

Got my Credit Card Ready

• Reply 2 of 49
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I like the concept of this. I just hope the actual implementation is as good. If so I might be seriously considering a purchase of the QX100 model.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Shut up and take my money
  • Reply 4 of 49
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I'll reserve judgement until I read the reviews and see the price in Europe.

• Reply 5 of 49
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

What does 'wirelessly connected' mean here? Bluetooth? If so, what version of BT?

I only wish it weren't tied to Sony software... I'd hope that third parties could develop software for it.

We'll see.

edit: apparently the Playmemories software uses wi-fi.

Use your Sony camera with built- in Wi-Fi®

Ick? Does that mean its only usable when both devices are connected to an external wi-fi network, or that the lens has a mini hotspot built in? 

Not having good feelings about this. Response sounds like a dog.

• Reply 6 of 49
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    This is really weird. And if they offer a good telephoto, I'm interested!
  • Reply 7 of 49

Sounds clever, but clunky.

I'll wait to see how it performs in the wild.

• Reply 8 of 49
    It is amazing!
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Looks like something for people who want to take real pictures.
    Oh wait.... those people carry real cameras with them!
  • Reply 10 of 49
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

Looks like something for people who want to take real pictures.

Oh wait.... those people carry real cameras with them!

Yep, and they carry the crappy interface and software that comes with them.

This is close to what I've been saying someone should do for years... 

Make a great lens that uses an iPhone (superior to any brain that a camera maker can produce) as the viewfinder and controller.

My only gripe on this is that its tied to Sony software.

• Reply 11 of 49
    This is a joke.
    You cannot increase the pixel on your phone with those lenses. Sorry suckers!!!!! If your phone sees 5 mega pixels and you try placing a 20 mega pixel lens over your phone's CCD will only see, wait for it, 5 mega pixels.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

This is a joke.

You cannot increase the pixel on your phone with those lenses. Sorry suckers!!!!! If your phone sees 5 mega pixels and you try placing a 20 mega pixel lens over your phone's CCD will only see, wait for it, 5 mega pixels.

The lenses come with their own sensors. Did you not read the article or do you just not understand it?

-kpluck

• Reply 13 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

This is a joke.

ill bite -

did you read the article before commenting? The come with Exmor sensors.

I think this is a very good idea - hope its implemented well. I often carry nex-6 when i'm somewhere that i might be wanting a better camera than is built in to the iPhone. These lenses will be much easier to carry, and hopefully even easer to email pictures from them (via iPhone) while on location somewhere.

• Reply 14 of 49

Interesting. I can see this on helium filled balloons (tethered), and hobby aircraft. I was really hoping my iPhone photography would greatly increase with the 5s and now it looks like it can. I only wish this was Canon and not Sony, but for what it is, it should be lots of fun. 

• Reply 15 of 49
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

I wish people would stop calling these idiotic things "camera lenses for iPhones."  They aren't.  

They are an entire camera that uses the iPhone as a remote viewfinder.  They make it sound like they are strap on lenses for your iPhone, when in fact they are an entire self-sufficient camera that hangs off the side of your iPhone via a stupid plastic clip. 

• Reply 16 of 49

This will add a lot of unique shots to wedding, event photography, self portraits (no more in the mirror shots!!), and so much more. 

What do you imagine doing with your external lens? 

• Reply 17 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I wish people would stop calling these idiotic things "camera lenses for iPhones."  They aren't.  

They are an entire camera that uses the iPhone as a remote viewfinder.  They make it sound like they are strap on lenses for your iPhone, when in fact they are an entire self-sufficient camera that hangs off the side of your iPhone via a stupid plastic clip. 

looks like a stand alone to me. I believe it can be both, as needed. 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/qx-lens-camers-press-release/ ;

• Reply 18 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

looks like a stand alone to me. I believe it can be both, as needed. 

Nope, it's just a stand alone.  While it attaches to a camera, it doesn't function as just a lens, as in, it doesn't pass light through it and on to the iPhone's sensor.

That's not to knock the product, but it's an important point. 

• Reply 19 of 49
    There's no mention of what format the images are. I assume it's too much to hope there is a way to shoot RAW, but I suspect they will be JPEG, at least on the phone. While the larger 1 inch sensor has more features, it's only 3x zoom. Is that due to the larger sensor size?
  • Reply 20 of 49

I am waiting for the first camera designed for "Selfies Only" photography.  With only one button - takes your picture and immediately uploads it to your Facebook page.  What else would anyone ever need?