Apple's iOS grows mobile browsing share in US to dominant 65%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I've just never seen that claim outside AI. Maybe some analyst has predicted it, but I never happened to come across it?

No one has probably used "Apple is doomed" in verbatim, but check the stories for less innovation, Cook should be fired, can Apple survive, a Jobs-less Apple, Apple's glory days may be over, Apple lost its [imaginary] smartphone lead, Apple must..., etc.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Who is claiming Apple is doomed outside of a couple posters in this forum?image

When I read this I thought "He can't be serious."

Then I remembered that you're the chap who insists Google has no control over Motorola's FRAND antics. So maybe you are serious.

Head over to Google.

Type "apple is doomed says analyst" in the search box.

Be amazed.

• Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

To be more fair to Android, they should measure ATTEMPTED web activity. My Android friends are always finding their brand-new phones are either bogged down and nearly frozen, or dead by 5pm, due to Android's failure to stop 3rd-party apps from wasting battery. (Seriously, it's a strong pattern, not an occasional fluke for them. They're always adding app-killer and system-monitor utilities and trying to manage processes like a 1990s PC, all to no avail. Then they delete apps en masse, which may or may not even help, while my iPhone can have all the apps I want!)

So how can they be expected to use the Internet? Android's browsing share would surely increase another 10% if people could get their Android phone to work more of the time image

I have a flagship Android phone as well as my iPhone 5, and I have apps showing up in my "running apps" list on my Android that I haven't used in several months!

• Reply 24 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jragosta wrote: »
    'Doomed' is a strong word, but you don't need to look very far to find virtually ever major news media publishing reports that Apple has lost its innovation and its glory days are over.

Well, that I have seen tho I don't agree with it. What, a few months since the last major product announcement? Big deal, there's enough rumors of new products that there's little doubt they're in the works.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Well, that I have seen tho I don't agree with it.

Frankly, no one cares whether you agree with it.

The point is that the media is constantly trashing Apple and making it sound like they have no future.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Most of the people I know who bought android tablets bought them as cheap games consoles for their kids. Therefore the don't get used in the Internet much.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    In the war of dueling research reports Mobil Media is out with theirs today as well. It reports things a bit differently, claiming [B]iOS is carrying 42% of mobile web usage while Android devices register just over half, 51%.[/B]

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/millennialmedia-mobilemix-0813.pdf

Whether you trust the study or not there's lots of good detailed stuff in it for those interested.
  • Reply 28 of 52

Frankly I doubt anyone important cares what either of us has to say about it. :err: We're just two guys on a forum and hardly movers and shakers.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    jungmark wrote: »
    Lots of stupid professional analysts, tech writers, etc.

While some have been critical of Apple none has actually said 'Apple is doomed'.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    In the war of dueling research reports Mobil Media is out with theirs today as well. It reports things a bit differently, claiming iOS is carrying 42% of mobile web usage while Android devices register just over half, 51%.

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/millennialmedia-mobilemix-0813.pdf

Whether you trust the study or not there's lots of good detailed stuff in it for those interested.

Page views vs ad impressions.
  • Reply 31 of 52

The point is that the media is constantly trashing Apple and making it sound like they have no future.

Question is why do you let it bother you? If every article praised Apple people would stop reading after a while. Most articles critiquing or questioning Apple are nothing more than a click bait opinion piece and not postulated on any real data.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    ggfggf Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But but but 1 billion activations!

That billion activations includes a lot of poor people. Whether it is the poorer people in the US or people in India or China. If you can afford fillet steak you will buy it because it is the best. If you can only afford sausages - sausages it is. Poor people in the US cannot afford to pay for phone plans that give them large amounts of internet access so they don't use the internet as much. These facts are reflected in the stats.

This is not to say that there are not people who could afford an iPhone who chose not to because they want a bigger screen than apple offers or because they have some incomprehensible desire to customise some obscure part of the operating system that most of the population doesn't care about. If that floats your boat - more power to you. However all of the upgrade stats etc show that most of the people using Android would buy an iPhone if they could afford it. Economics at work!

• Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

While some have been critical of Apple none has actually said 'Apple is doomed'.

No, they just say things like Apple has "collapsed":

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12023849/1/apples-collapse-a-scholarly-perspective.html

Yep, according to some, Apple has gone beyond doomed all the way to collapsed.

• Reply 34 of 52
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Question is why do you let it bother you? If every article praised Apple people would stop reading after a while. Most articles critiquing or questioning Apple are nothing more than a click bait opinion piece and not postulated on any real data.

Because I'm from the sold school - and expect honesty and integrity from the news media.

If Apple does something wrong (and they have), the media should publicize it. My objection is when the media makes things up so that they can attack Apple. Or when they take a positive event and add all sorts of spin to try to make it appear negative.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Because I'm from the sold school - and expect honesty and integrity from the news media.

If Apple does something wrong (and they have), the media should publicize it. My objection is when the media makes things up so that they can attack Apple. Or when they take a positive event and add all sorts of spin to try to make it appear negative.

You remember the old days differently than I do. There never has been much honor and integrity in the media. Sensationalism has always sold well and continues to do so.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    You remember the old days differently than I do. There never has been much honor and integrity in the media. Sensationalism has always sold well and continues to do so.

Well there was Cronkite..;)
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Well there was Cronkite..;)

Also Jennings, and Rather but they were the exception.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    I dunno, Rather seemed a little iffy to me.
  • Reply 39 of 52

It was never perfect, but there was never the outright lying and crap that you see in the media today.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    I dunno, Rather seemed a little iffy to me.

Lol, he did look like a overgrown Davie from Davie and Goliath look that always irked me.