New iPhone with bigger display predicted to be a major success in China

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I agree, but I also think that Apple believes the width of the current iPhone is at its max for ergonomic and esthetic reasons - at least for the design of their flagship phone...So, I do believe we will eventually see a larger "5C" model (along with a larger iPod touch).

OK, you'll have to read my last post to get what i'm about to say.

ergonomic reasons go out the door when it's the iPod Touch.  The Touch doesn't need to be a single-handed operating device.  So to add to my last post, If they tested the size on the iPod Touch for a year just to see how it sold.  Then they could even offer LTE as an option.  Totally runaway success, IMO.

• Reply 42 of 57
    I like the size of the current iPhone 5. I think current 5" screens are too big.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All of them fired or retooled to a job that doesn't involve LYING about companies for the sole purpose of destroying value.

Another accusation of lying?

Like the one you directed at me several months ago? The one you still haven't apologised for after I provided evidence to support my statements?

You're all accusations and no integrity.

• Reply 44 of 57

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Another accusation of lying?

Ah, so you're saying analysts never lie, huh. 

Good luck getting followers of that belief. 

• Reply 45 of 57
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Just get an LTE iPad mini. Cheaper service and a really big screen...

What happens when you want to make a call? And don't tell me to get Skype or similar because the call quality can suck unless you get a very strong signal whereas a traditional voice call can still work even out in the boonies? What about 911 calls? What about texts? and not to mention the fact that it is not cheaper service considering you can get unlimited calls/text/data on an iPhone for about the same price as 3GB of data on a data only plan. Then of course there is the fact that it is just too big. People can easily fit a 5" iPhone in their pockets but cannot fit an iPad Mini. 

• Reply 46 of 57
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Just get an LTE iPad mini. Cheaper service and a really big screen...

Hmmm. People want a phone around 5", so they should just get a 7.9" mini? Not sure your suggestion is going to help anyone...

I considered suggestions of carrying a cheap phone for calls and texting and a Mini for everything else, but for me it comes down to 2 things:

1. Can I fit it in my pocket and easily take it anywhere?
    2. Does it make life simpler or give me more to think about and remember/worry about?

For number 1, no - it just adds another even bigger thing to carry. Keys, wallet, and phone are already too bulky at times, let alone a tablet too. And then I go to work and add work car keys, work phone etc.

For number 2, I don't carry a "man bag" so chances of me leaving something behind keep increasing. I can see how a smart watch might be easier to remember cause I wouldn't usually take it off, but an extra device to keep my eyes on... Nope.

It takes me away from the convergence philosophy. I want to have less to carry, not more.

I like the idea of having an even bigger screen with me everywhere, but it's just not practical.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Introducing the new iPhone c, stands for copy because we are copying android with cheap cruddy phones, with them not fitting in your pocket, featuring every feature in android never used!(about 2/3 the OS) without everything loved about IOS, you asked we got it!!!¡!!!¡!!!!¡!!!!
  • Reply 48 of 57
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I think this is becoming a vocal majority - Apple needs a larger-screened iPhone, and SOON. My iPhone 5 is fine, but I'd love an iPhone with more a spacious keyboard in portrait. I hate typing in landscape. That's way too much, even using two thumbs. 

I'll continue to buy iPhones, because that's what I prefer, but I really, REALLY want a larger screen.
    You completely uninformed Internet geeks are hilarious. Apple knows they're doing. You don't.

I love, love, love when I read a blog post that says an Internet article with 60 comments is "a vocal majority". LOL.

Gotta hand it to Samsung, with their Freudian marketing, bigger = better, some people can't resist that even when obviously untrue.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    antkm1 wrote: »
    What I don't understand about Apple?  Why they haven't tested this on another device yet?  I mean, it's staring you right in the face and they don't even regard it.  The iPod Touch?  For how long have we all heard that the touch is the #1 handheld gaming device?  To me, that would be the perfect test bed for a 5"-6" screen.  I know there are issues with pixels per inch.  but at this piont, we've all seen the calculations about how to do it.  Take the Retina iPad and cut the panel down to the same resolution as the iPhone 5...bam!  4.95" iPod touch.  Sure the pixel density is slightly higher, but it's still better than the iPad Mini and a bigger device so you won't need to hold it so close to your face.  I am 99.9% certain that if they did this with the Touch, and added LTE as an option, that would be a runaway hit.  Kids would love it!  Videophiles would by them in batches for every room of the house....serious.  Simple solution.  Then, in a year or two, merge the iPhone and iPod Touch line into a single line of devices.  Jobs would've loved the consolidations as well!
    Because it is completely pointless! That's why!
  • Reply 50 of 57
    blitz1 wrote: »
    I thought that the consensus on AI was that large screens were lame. Or did we have to understand "large Android screens"?
    Lame?

No, I believe the adults around here have thought it through a bit more thoroughly.

1. You can go the Samsung route, and ignore all common sense, and continue to make phones larger and larger, in lieu of having any real innovation to offer.

2. Or you can go to the Apple route, which is to make devices at the perfect size for their exact usage. Apple does not need to pull a Samsung and release a 4 inch iPhone, 4.2 inch iPhone, 4.5 inch iPhone, 4.7 inch iPhone, 5.1 inch iPhone, in order to "address market needs".

That is a fantasy dreamed up by Samsung's marketing department.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, so you're saying analysts never lie, huh. 

Good luck getting followers of that belief. 

No, he didn't write that.

He wrote that you accused him of lying, that he has proven that you were wrong and that you still didn't apologize for your false accusation.

That's what he wrote!

• Reply 52 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Lame?

No, I believe the adults around here have thought it through a bit more thoroughly.

1. You can go the Samsung route, and ignore all common sense, and continue to make phones larger and larger, in lieu of having any real innovation to offer.

2. Or you can go to the Apple route, which is to make devices at the perfect size for their exact usage. Apple does not need to pull a Samsung and release a 4 inch iPhone, 4.2 inch iPhone, 4.5 inch iPhone, 4.7 inch iPhone, 5.1 inch iPhone, in order to "address market needs".

That is a fantasy dreamed up by Samsung's marketing department.

Well, in the meantime 2 out of 3 smartphones are Samsung.

But glad to know that an Apple 6'' is thought through whilst a Samsung 6'' wouldn't...

Makes perfect sense.

• Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Well, in the meantime 2 out of 3 smartphones are Samsung.

But glad to know that an Apple 6'' is thought through whilst a Samsung 6'' wouldn't...

Makes perfect sense.

Makes perfect sense? I can assure you, this incoherent rambling you just posted does not.

2 of 3 active handsets in the wild? Nope, not even close. Its more like 1 of 2. We don't know real sales numbers from Shamesung, and usage data suggests that the people who actually buy them throw them in the drawer and don't use them.

It is better to report real world data than to quote bogus shipment stats as if they are indicators of the actual market. You know that nagging reality that you can't figure out: How supposedly 2 of 3 are Samsung, yet all you see are people with iPhones...yeah, there is a reason for that. And the reason is that the numbers are meaningless.

• Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:

Makes perfect sense? I can assure you, this incoherent rambling you just posted does not.

2 of 3 active handsets in the wild? Nope, not even close. Its more like 1 of 2. We don't know real sales numbers from Shamesung, and usage data suggests that the people who actually buy them throw them in the drawer and don't use them.

It is better to report real world data than to quote bogus shipment stats as if they are indicators of the actual market. You know that nagging reality that you can't figure out: How supposedly 2 of 3 are Samsung, yet all you see are people with iPhones...yeah, there is a reason for that. And the reason is that the numbers are meaningless.

yes, indeed: people buy smartphones to throw them in the drawer... or that they are still in the shelves... (these shelves must be enormous by now).Your statement perfectly reflects, I guess, your real world data...

Then again, Americans still think the world is flat and that the world stops at the Pacific, the Rockies, the Atlantic and the Rio Grande.

How's your "evolution" going on? Still thinking the world's been created in 6 days?

• Reply 55 of 57
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    One size doesn't fit all.

The current iPhone sizes are extremely ergonomical, except:
    a) you're an older person who wants to use the phone without reading glasses
    b) you're Asian and you deal with rather complex Han/Kanji characters or some other non-Roman/Kyrillic/Greek alphabet that's considerably more complex in strokes and shapes, because then at current screen sizes, soon everything starts to look like more or less dense squares.

Personally, I'd not want a bigger phone, because the iPhone 4 I have is already more than big enough in the pockets of my pants, and I'm not looking forward to the extra size an iPhone 5s will bring to the table (pocket). Certainly wouldn't want an even bigger phone, because I have no intention to start walking around with a man-purse or a sports jacket all the time, or make it easier to have my phone-wallet being stolen by stashing it elsewhere on my body than the front pockets of my pants.

At this point, Apple sells big enough numbers of phones, that even a niche product like a bigger screen iPhone will sell in the millions, and thus is possible to manufacture efficiently, particularly if the guts remain the same. Apple could sell it as an Apple-Store-only (incl. online store) item, thus drawing people to their stores (even if only to have a look), and use that curiosity to get people to look at the rest of their offerings. That would also lower the logistical (ordering, warehousing, demand projection, etc.) issues for carriers and other dealers of Apple items.
  • Reply 56 of 57

Oh we get censored on AI. Any American may say that non-Americans are stupid.

Non-Americans have not that right regarding the Americans.

• Reply 57 of 57
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Lame?

who said Apple would do this.  All we know is they are experimenting with screens larger than 4".  To think Apple would release a series of phones with the screen sizes you refer to is just ignorant.