Silver ring around 'iPhone 5S' home button may be integral to fingerprint reader, not just for looks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    And at the presentation this will be the spiel: "The iPhone 5S. The "S" stands for 'security'..."

Think of that all on your own, did ya?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Interesting patent application discovered by Patently Apple. Brings the silver ring around the home button in to more perspective.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/09/phenomenal-patent-details-fingerprint-scanner-with-advanced-nfc-application-built-right-into-the-home-button.html
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Interesting patent application discovered by Patently Apple. Brings the silver ring around the home button in to more perspective.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/09/phenomenal-patent-details-fingerprint-scanner-with-advanced-nfc-application-built-right-into-the-home-button.html

I'm hoping we see Apple implement NFC and iWallet or Passbook payments Sept 10th. That would be HUGE unexpected news.

• Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by roccodelgreco View Post

Siri's thinking ring...

We know you want it, so we gonna put a ring on it....  (apologies to... heck... that song requires no apologies)

• Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Then again, I've sometimes thought that Mikey Campbell is an alter ego of Daniel Eran Dilger.

I miss Prince McLean.... at least then DED tried to be objective;-)

• Reply 26 of 35
    Only pictures of the proposed Finger Print Scanner button are from website run by Sonny Dickson. For those that have heard his interviews on TV or have visited his website it's obvious that this is not a real part. When asked if Apple has contacted him about what he is doing he said "NO". If these were real parts I think Apple would have already done something. This guy is operating an advertising hit website making $2000 a month by providing parts that are not necessarily Apples. The more notariety be gets the more hits the bigger his profit
    Take what you read on his website with a grain of salt as the credibility is lacking
    By the way the 2 iPhone 5s gold and graphite cases had been out for days before he posted those parts on his website
  • Reply 27 of 35
    @Rogifan beat me to it:

Phenomenal Patent Details Fingerprint Scanner with Advanced NFC Application Built Right Into the Home Button
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

@Rogifan beat me to it:

Phenomenal Patent Details Fingerprint Scanner with Advanced NFC Application Built Right Into the Home Button

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Very interesting. If this is right, then it shows starkly how hard doubling down on secrecy really is for Apple. Then there is the whole challenge of lining up partner support for any NFC-based transaction processing. It's unlike Apple not to have this in place before announcing a major new feature. But it's been a long time since they have kept under secret any negotiations with new partners.

I'm still wondering if this will be integrated into the iPod Touch and, not far from now, the new iPads. 

• Reply 29 of 35
    I really think this will be a translucent piece for lighting that will display a visual cue when used, among some other functions.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Only pictures of the proposed Finger Print Scanner button are from website run by Sonny Dickson. For those that have heard his interviews on TV or have visited his website it's obvious that this is not a real part. When asked if Apple has contacted him about what he is doing he said "NO". If these were real parts I think Apple would have already done something. This guy is operating an advertising hit website making $2000 a month by providing parts that are not necessarily Apples. The more notariety be gets the more hits the bigger his profit

Take what you read on his website with a grain of salt as the credibility is lacking

By the way the 2 iPhone 5s gold and graphite cases had been out for days before he posted those parts on his website

And there's nothing wrong with him profiting. No harm done if we don't take his *leaks* with a grain of salt. Speculation is supposed to be fun. Chillex. :)

• Reply 31 of 35
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Very interesting. If this is right, then it shows starkly how hard doubling down on secrecy really is for Apple. Then there is the whole challenge of lining up partner support for any NFC-based transaction processing. It's unlike Apple not to have this in place before announcing a major new feature. But it's been a long time since they have kept under secret any negotiations with new partners.

I'm still wondering if this will be integrated into the iPod Touch and, not far from now, the new iPads. 

It makes sense that they are debuting this with iPhone, since most people carry their smartphones with them everywhere, so making payments with a phone is a logical step.

That's less so the case with the iPod Touch and iPad. The iPad may get a fingerprint sensor one day, but I don't know how useful an iPad would be as a wallet. Maybe on Macs and iPads the sensor will be used only for unlock?

Anyway I agree with your other points. It's really looking like Apple may have hidden this whole thing from everyone and their partners (whether Apple has partnered with card companies, retailers, or carriers) have done a great job keeping quiet.

I'm geniunely excited for Sept 10th now!

• Reply 32 of 35
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member

The gray rings in Apple's invitation to the September 10th event are consistent with a ring around the home button being important for fingerprint sensing (and maybe other functions), as the colored dots are consistent with colorful iPhones to be announced.

http://mashable.com/2013/09/03/apple-iphone-5s-invitations/

• Reply 33 of 35

To be forever known as Siri's g-spot.

Siri: "Ahhh yeah...oooooo....right there. That's right put it right UGH THERE!!! BITCH!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!!"

• Reply 34 of 35
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Siri: "Ahhh yeah...oooooo....right there. That's right put it right UGH THERE!!! BITCH!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!!" 

????

• Reply 35 of 35
    Can it be that this sensor detect when the user try to push it?

This way apple could remove one of the only moving part of its device. The home bouton would be a non-moving silver ring used as a finger scanner and a capacitive button...

Haven't seen HD picture of a 5S by now so why must we assume this button move as before?