The Apple Era begins as Microsoft, Google shift to a hardware centric model

Comments

• Reply 81 of 182
    All of that may be true but i got rid of all of my Apple equipment (i.e. ATV1s and TimeCapsule) except for my imac and 3rd gen ipod touch and when they die I will not replace them. I never owned an iphone or an ipad instead I bought a galaxy nexus, a Nexus 7 and 10 and I installed a Chromecast this past week. I think OSX is better than windows but I'm still using Snow Leopard because I didn't like what I read about the later versions.
  • Reply 82 of 182
    Originally Posted by Joseph Ross View Post

I think OSX is better than windows but I'm still using Snow Leopard because I didn't like what I read about the later versions.

Utter nonsense.

• Reply 83 of 182
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Great article DED. I give Microsoft more credit for their past success than you do, though. Saying Microsoft "simply won by cheating, erecting a monopoly where nobody else could actually play" ignores the brilliant moves by Gates and the hard work his employees accomplished to become king of the PC hill (for a few decades anyway).
  • Reply 84 of 182
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Ross View Post

All of that may be true but i got rid of all of my Apple equipment (i.e. ATV1s and TimeCapsule) except for my imac and 3rd gen ipod touch and when they die I will not replace them. I never owned an iphone or an ipad instead I bought a galaxy nexus, a Nexus 7 and 10 and I installed a Chromecast this past week. I think OSX is better than windows but I'm still using Snow Leopard because I didn't like what I read about the later versions.

Can you touch on the reasons why, by switching from Apple devices, your platform preferences are changing?

• Reply 85 of 182
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    ascii wrote: »
    TLDR: The OS-centric model has *not* gone away...

"Lickspittle" - had to look that one up.

You should realize that 'TLDR' is shorthand for, "I'm too lazy to read something that looks to be against my preconceptions... I'll just write a long post myself based on the title."

And I wouldn't think a phrase as self explanatory as 'lickspittle' would need to be looked up.
  • Reply 86 of 182
    Great article man. Good insight as well. Keep em coming.
  • Reply 87 of 182
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

And I wouldn't think a phrase as self explanatory as 'lickspittle' would need to be looked up.

So when you encounter a word you don't know, instead of looking it up, you just read what it sounds like, and if that makes sense, you assume you know it? Ok, it's your life. I prefer to be more thorough.

• Reply 88 of 182

though i liked this article- it could have been 1/2 as long.  unless it is a glitch in safari, i read the same things twice over and over throughout.

• Reply 89 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blhr View Post

Used an iPhone for 6 years. Sold my iPhone 5 for an S4 Active. With the exception of the camera, which is still pretty solid but not consistently enough, I'm much happier with my S4. 5" screen. Water resistant. Notification light. Gmail app is excellent. Terrific Google Music app. Habit browser is smooth. Android has really surprised me in a good way. I still use and love my iPad Mini and iMac. But if you don't think Android has gotten awesome in recent years and that there are some excellent flagships right now being offered by several OEM'S, then you are out of your mind.

Are you aware that the "awesomeness" of Android on your Galaxy S4 is mostly due to patented Apple technologies which Samsung was found guilty by both the ITC and a federal court of using without permission?

• Reply 90 of 182
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post

Strongly disagree with Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 failure. Firstly they never expected the nexus line to beat Apple, the nexus line exist to inspire manufactures to make better hardware. I guess they're pretty successful on it, since that android phones used to be mediocre 2 years ago, now they're finally catching up Apple.

They're catching up to Apple by using patented Apple technologies on their devices without Apple's permission or consent.  

• Reply 91 of 182
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Great article DED. I give Microsoft more credit for their past success than you do, though. Saying Microsoft "simply won by cheating, erecting a monopoly where nobody else could actually play" ignores the brilliant moves by Gates and the hard work his employees accomplished to become king of the PC hill (for a few decades anyway).

What brilliant moves and hard work?  If you're referring to the brilliant moves and hard work in securing a MONOPOLY through illegal and unethical practices, then you might have a point there.  

• Reply 92 of 182
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My point is: Microsoft lucked out because IBM was lazy, and their laziness created a hardware platform that got away from IBM's control. You can't even have a viable business licensing an OS to other hardware manufacturers if the hardware platform isn't common or easy to clone. One stipulation: the first OS to establish a beachhead on a new, cloneable hardware platform basically owns it forever: another challenger OS will have a hard time wrestling away that monopoly position on the same hardware. NeXTStep, BeOS, Linux, and other x86 OSes were not going to unseat Windows on the PC, then, now, or ever. Aside from the fact that circumstances have to be perfect to apply Microsoft's OS licensing model, there's nothing wrong with that model; it's just very, very impractical to execute.

I have an issue with your statement that the first OS to establish a beachhead on a new, cloneable hardware platform owns it forever.  

Nothing could be further from the truth.  If a hardware platform is cloneable and easy to build with off-the-shelf components, then it stands to reason that ANY operating system that is built to work with an OPEN clone platform would compete with another one since an end-user can buy multiple clone-compatible operating systems from different vendors and have them work on the same computer.  

The reason Microsoft MS-DOS and later Windows was the only de-facto OS shipped on cloned PCs was because Microsoft used ILLEGAL or UNETHICAL tying practices to coerce the clone manufacturers to ship ALL their computers with MS-DOS or Windows and ONLY MS-DOS or Windows.  They were NOT allowed to ship any of their computers with competing OS, even if consumers asked for it or even if there was a market for such operating systems.  That's precisely how Microsoft cornered a MONOPOLY on operating systems in PCs in the 1990s.  You should read up the history on that.  

If it wasn't for these illegal Microsoft business practices, we would be seeing successful OSes on the market such as OS/2, BeOS, NEXTStep, etc. 

• Reply 93 of 182
    OMG do we miss SJ or what? Fab analysis and well written. We are lucky to have such journalism.
  • Reply 94 of 182
    One year later, the latest edition fixed some of its problems but introduced a crop of jittery, laggy, dysfunctional new ones.

Are we talking about Nexus 7 here??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Have you ever tried using one before? What's your name? Daniel Joker!!!!.

And I can't be happier that a company took 50% more from my hard earned money than it's worth.......
  • Reply 95 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Utter nonsense.

While OS X 10.8 is generally quite good and smooths over some rough edges of 10.7, the systemwide autosave/versioning "feature" introduced in 10.7 sometimes makes me long for Snow Leopard. Although programs are still free to handle autosave the traditional way, using temporary files, most system apps seem to have adopted the new autosave API. 

I don't think apple's implementation is particularly well-suited to desktop applications. For starters, the Time Machine-like interface for comparing two versions of a document doesn't highlight the differences, which makes it difficult to use for any moderately complex document. Also, discarding changes is noticeably slower than in Snow Leopard because the current autosave implementation overwrites the original file instead of saving to a temporary file. So instead of deleting a temp file, which is a nearly instantaneous file operation, the system has to copy the old version back to the working directory.

I often view documents in Preview, and will rotate them for viewing purposes if they have the wrong orientation. Preview in OS X 10.8 immediately replaces the PDF or image on disk with the rotated version. It's annoying to watch the beach ball spin and wait for my hard drive to grind away when I quit Preview and elect to discard changes. 

• Reply 96 of 182
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kharvel View Post

What brilliant moves and hard work?  If you're referring to the brilliant moves and hard work in securing a MONOPOLY through illegal and unethical practices, then you might have a point there.  

The courts never ruled that Microsoft secured (obtained) their monopoly illegally. Microsoft got blasted for abusing monopoly power.

• Reply 97 of 182
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

While OS X 10.8 is generally quite good and smooths over some rough edges of 10.7, the systemwide autosave/versioning "feature" introduced in 10.7 sometimes makes me long for Snow Leopard. Although programs are still free to handle autosave the traditional way, using temporary files, most system apps seem to have adopted the new autosave API. 

It's the way saving should have always been, from the start in the '70s.

• Reply 98 of 182
    muppetry wrote: »
    That was good but, for it's perfect evocation of the essence of Windows I preferred "... it forcibly fed Windows down its throat like a unlucky duck being raised for foie gras."

I thought "While Microsoft diddled with KIN under the Pink Project" was pretty good too. :wow:
  • Reply 99 of 182
    kharvel wrote: »
    I have an issue with your statement that the first OS to establish a beachhead on a new, cloneable hardware platform owns it forever.  

Nothing could be further from the truth.  If a hardware platform is cloneable and easy to build with off-the-shelf components, then it stands to reason that ANY operating system that is built to work with an OPEN clone platform would compete with another one since an end-user can buy multiple clone-compatible operating systems from different vendors and have them work on the same computer.  

The reason Microsoft MS-DOS and later Windows was the only de-facto OS shipped on cloned PCs was because Microsoft used ILLEGAL or UNETHICAL tying practices to coerce the clone manufacturers to ship ALL their computers with MS-DOS or Windows and ONLY MS-DOS or Windows.  They were NOT allowed to ship any of their computers with competing OS, even if consumers asked for it or even if there was a market for such operating systems.  That's precisely how Microsoft cornered a MONOPOLY on operating systems in PCs in the 1990s.  You should read up the history on that.  

If it wasn't for these illegal Microsoft business practices, we would be seeing successful OSes on the market such as OS/2, BeOS, NEXTStep, etc. 

The anticompetitive practices you are referring to ended years ago.
    The lack of widespread adoption is not for a lack of choice. It's a lack of demand.
    That is what is going to keep Windows king of the PC until the platform dies.
  • Reply 100 of 182
    If the business models of microsoft and other companies have been "Proven" to fail time and time again, how do you justify the lack of marketshare on the part of Apple?

I would also be interested in how you're justifying locked down operating systems with no compatibility to similar hardware?

I suppose GNU/Linux is the devil to you, what with it being made to work on just about anything...