Apple's 'Stanford 2' retail site opens to crowds and lines

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    I don't quite understand the layout. Some photos show a glass roof and others show an opaque roof.

Read above ;)
  • Reply 22 of 40

You realise that glass filters aspects of the UV frequencies, so you can't get a tan through it right?

• Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It's weird that there are so many jackasses who claim Apple is doomed. Apple continues to enlarge stores and open new ones and there are certainly lots of people showing up.

At what cost though?

Retail space adds a lot to overheads.

• Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by henryblackman View Post

You realise that glass filters aspects of the UV frequencies, so you can't get a tan through it right?

Apparently standard glass has a protection factor of 30, meaning that you can get a tan, albeit very slowly.

• Reply 25 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    jvolino wrote: »

You mean it's not curved? That other photo from the article is so visually misleading.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    FYI Mr Bostic, "lookers-on" are better known as "onlookers".

Store does look worth a gaze, though.

A.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    What's strange is they have another fairly large store not too far away from the Palo Alto store, which is also fairly large. I know Apple has always done well in Silicon Valley, but I'm surprised they have such a big store in Stanford Shopping Center.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You mean it's not curved? That other photo from the article is so visually misleading.

is optical ilusion

• Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It's weird that there are so many jackasses who claim Apple is doomed. Apple continues to enlarge stores and open new ones and there are certainly lots of people showing up. Does that really indicate that Apple is going out of business? Apple hasn't been laying-off anyone and in fact, has been increasing the number of employees in the company. All that alone shows that Apple is not being killed off by the proliferation Android devices. And all this has been going in a period where Apple basically hasn't even released any new products for nearly a full year. Yet Wall Street continues to base Apple's financial health on falling global mobile market share which shows market share is a very poor indicator of a company's health, at least in Apple's case.

Apple currently does not look like a company without a future. Why the stock value has deviated so far opposite from the health of the overall company makes no sense whatsoever. With China Mobile and DoCoMo lined up as major carriers and iTunes Radio coming online it appears Apple will certainly double-down in smart-device sales. If that doesn't move Apple's share price upward, then nothing will. Will Apple ever be able to change the viewpoint that Apple is doomed just because Steve Jobs is dead?

It's only "weird" when you try to reconcile the facts of what you SEE with your own eyes out in the world with the "facts" of what you HEAR in the media and whatever happens on Wall Street.

The media have their respective agenda based on their respective vested interests as well as their real or imagined "power" over the weak minds of the general populace who "believe" in whatever the media say or with whatever the media presents to them. This could very well include even some of the "Apple haters" who pop up anonymously and frequently in comment threads. I suspect that some of them are even paid to spew their inciteful lies and propaganda.

A large part of Wall Street is, of course, a legalized gambling operation whose performance has little correspondence with stock-issuing corporations' actual performance. To me, though I sometimes pine over lost opportunities of the past to invest in Apple, I then realize far more often that such opportunities bear odds more akin to winning the lottery.

So the lesson here, chil'uns, is to count your blessings in all the Apple products that you own that you love because they work well for you. And be happy that there are so many others of you who share your joy and who keep buying them in droves.

• Reply 30 of 40
    Glass roof....great for hailstorms!
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

Glass roof....great for hailstorms!

I'm sure it's Gorilla Glass, so it should be fine as long as no one drops the store.

• Reply 32 of 40
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Glasses are nice, but what if people don't want to shop under the sun?  Not everyone likes to get a tan.

Glass blocks UV ;)

• Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by madp01 View Post

T-shirts: the first 1000 visitors get a free Apple t-shirt. I recently got one at the opening of the 3rd Apple Store in Rome, Italy, in the Euroma2 mall.

But what about the concert tickets and other valuable prizes that MS and Sammy offer to draw a crowd to their store openings? Seems like these Apple customers are easily satisfied if all they need is a lousy tee shirt.  ;)

• Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Indeed, the "box" design didn't really sink in until I read your comment.  Reading this article I was immediately of the notion that the new store was pleasantly curvaceous.  That picture is worth a thousand misleading words.

• Reply 35 of 40
    Here's a better image on the store's site: www.apple.com/retail/stanford/
  • Reply 36 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If my grandmother was of Asian descent, she'd look just about like that. Taller, though. Strange how close…

Oh, and the building is gorgeous.

I wonder where Microsoft will open its copycat store nearby. We don't hear much about those Microsoft and Samsung stores these days do we?

• Reply 37 of 40
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I wonder where Microsoft will open its copycat store nearby. We don't hear much about those Microsoft and Samsung stores these days do we?

Samsung had stores? They have kiosks in Bust Buy, sure, but stores proper?

The Microsoft Store will look the same, but be of smoked glass and have a concave roof instead. 

• Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

At what cost though?

Retail space adds a lot to overheads.

It has been pointed out many times that Apple's store sales contribute more to the company bottom line than any other retailer in any other line of business. I believe their return on this investment has been in positive territory for quite some time.

• Reply 39 of 40

Stanford Shopping Center is a different milieu than University Avenue, where the Palo Alto store is located. The new store is situated right next to Neiman Marcus, which should tell you something about the clientele that frequent the shopping center. Though, I'll wager Apple's placement had more to do with the available space for expansion than placement next to N-M.

A Microsoft store had already opened across from the old Apple Store some years ago, when MS was in the habit of opening in close proximity to Apple locations. It had twice the floor space of Apple's location at the time.

• Reply 40 of 40
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Probably an artifact of shooting in panorama with an iPhone.