European Apple patent hints at NFC-enabled iPhone fingerprint sensor

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Why is it paranoia? Given all the NSA revelations we've heard of during the past few weeks, I have to admit that even I am feeling a tad nervous.

I'm with you. We're all being tracked, recorded and stored whether we use a desktop or mobile computing device, iOS, MAC, Android or Windows. . . and it ain't for serving up harmless ads. Most of us just had no idea to what extent until recently.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

I bet for the first few minutes after the finger's been removed the sensor wont be able to tell it and dead tissue apart. The thieve should be able to change authentication details in that timeframe

Thieves aren't that smart. Heck, they're not smart enough to know about fingerprint sensors in the first place.

• Reply 63 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Now it makes sense why Apple has resisted integrating NFC until now. Maybe tomorrows iPhone 5S will incorporate NFC functionality in addition to the finger-print tech (finally!).

NFC is a bunch of repurposed fragments of really old RFID standards. 

Doesn't sound like something apple would do.

• Reply 64 of 65
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

I bet for the first few minutes after the finger's been removed the sensor wont be able to tell it and dead tissue apart. The thieve should be able to change authentication details in that timeframe

I dunno. If this is ultimately based on capacitance, it seems to me a finger not attached to a body would have a significantly different capacitance profile than one that is.

Now, a finger still attached to a very recently dead body, maybe...  ; )

• Reply 65 of 65

When you have FULL device access, your abilities are as great as you are knowledgable.  

The root or mobile user passwords are easily changeable -- was that supposed to be an issue?!  *baffled*  Every "feature" comes with tradeoffs, and in the hands of the unscrupulous, there can be a world of undesired consequences.  Technology lovers must remain eternally vigilant to watch over what is going on behind the scenes and spread information for awareness to others.  

Analogies are out there, just watch the movie the Matrix…  

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, jailbreaking does not really help you with that either, as you still can't look into things happening inside compiled code. And, outside of people really knowing what they are doing (<1% of users, I would say), jailbreaking is a pretty foolproof way to make a device more vulnerable (default root password, disabling sandboxing, full file system access, ability to install potentially rogue apps using private APIs).