Apple's more affordable 'iPhone 5C' expected to have greatest US benefit for T-Mobile

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Anything not made by Samsung??

Anything that doesn't have that issue: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20130204131658853

• Reply 22 of 41
    You're both wrong. T-mobile's pricing is pretty straightfroward, and contract free, with no overage charges:
    $50/month = unlimited talk and text, plus 500MB 3/4G data (throttled to unlimited 2G data after cap, no extra charge)

+$30/month = add a second line
    +$10/month = add an additional line after the second

+$10/month = change 3/4G cap to 2GB
    +$20/month = make 3/4G data unlimited.

So, two people, unlimited talk, text, and (3/4G) data is $100/month. This does not include the cost of any phones, though you can use an existing phone at no charge, and they will subsidize a new phone at 0% interest (once you've paid off the original price, you're done).

Now go back and look up unlimited everything with no data throttling.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Anything that doesn't have that issue: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20130204131658853

What issue?

• Reply 24 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Since my opinion is as good as any analyst's here's my predictions:

iPhone C $299 available in US and all of Apple major markets. Putting it at $99 with contract. "Available Today".

iPhone 5s $599 "Available Sept 20"

Narrow bezel iPad November.

$299 is far too low for the iPhone 5C. I would expect it to be around $450.

Your contract price is also wrong. If it were $299 list price, you'd be able to get it for $0 with a contract, possibly even BOGO. Even at $450, you're probably looking at $0 with a contract.
    jetz wrote: »
    Not many will jump if the 5C is $400-$500. That's a rather steep price of admission for most people.

Really? Then why is it that most of the most popular phones on the market (iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, etc) are well over $500? The market disagrees with you.
  • Reply 25 of 41

Apple has to create affordable phones and computers in order to survive.  Microsoft products and Android phones will shut Apple's business down forever if there are now changes to attract consumers seeking low prices.  Competitors are flooding the market with cheap products. http://t.co/aHtolj0yH5

• Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What would constitute a "super über cool phone"?

A 'Hello Kitty vs Care Bears' iPhone! </s>

Is this article hiding the veiled message that T-Mobile users are flat busted broke?...  Because I am!... :(

/

/

• Reply 27 of 41

The survival of Apple depends on cheaper products. The top companies are flooding the market with cheap electronics. http://t.co/aHtolj0yH5

• Reply 28 of 41
    peliser wrote: »
    The survival of Apple depends on cheaper products. The top companies are flooding the market with cheap electronics.

They've done exceptionally well without cheaper devices up to this point, so why start now? It would only make sense if the 4S gets replaced by the 5C.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Originally Posted by peliser

The survival of Apple depends on cheaper products.

No, it doesn't, spambot.

• Reply 30 of 41
    rot'napple wrote: »
    A 'Hello Kitty vs Care Bears' iPhone! </s>

Is this article hiding the veiled message that T-Mobile users are flat busted broke?...  Because I am!... :(
    /
    /

I'm holding out for a Teddy Ruxpin vs Monchichi iPhone. Lol
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So if you get your wish, Apple will be made to look bad. Why would that make you look happy?

As for the 5C, there are so many detailed rumors from so many sources that it would be shocking if it's not real. Why does that bother you? No one is going to make you buy it.

Your own statement is what concerns me when you said you heard so many rumors it would be shocking if it's not real.  The rumor sites and bloggers are basically able to convince everyone Apple is going to do something, without Apple making any statements.  So Apple suffers because people believe what they hear in rumors and get bashed when they don't actually do what the rumors say they will do.

So no, I'm not happy when Apple looks bad, I hope the rumor sites are the ones made to look bad when they're wrong.

• Reply 32 of 41
    techguy911 wrote: »
    Your own statement is what concerns me when you said you heard so many rumors it would be shocking if it's not real.  The rumor sites and bloggers are basically able to convince everyone Apple is going to do something, without Apple making any statements.  So Apple suffers because people believe what they hear in rumors and get bashed when they don't actually do what the rumors say they will do.

So no, I'm not happy when Apple looks bad, I hope the rumor sites are the ones made to look bad when they're wrong.

Normally I'd agree but with so many sources plus a slew of pics made the 'rumors' more than that. I'd call them unauthorized leaks. Apple rarely announces a device before the day of presentation.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Any idea on how the 5C *might* be different in terms of features?

Processor?

Camera specs?

What will it be able to run?

The reason I'm asking is because I enjoy "iPhoneography", and certain photo apps like VSCO Cam have one or two features that at this time require the capabilities of an iPhone 5. 

If this device will indeed be introduced, it can already be assumed that it will have a different outer body.

All speculation at this point, but perhaps someone can make a more educated guess than myself. 

Unbelievable that you would ask for or expect a legit response from a post any rumor website today. Can't you wait a day for whatever Apple will announce tomorrow?

• Reply 34 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    They've done exceptionally well without cheaper devices up to this point, so why start now? It would only make sense if the 4S gets replaced by the 5C.

Not all all. They are going after a different demographic. Within reason, there's value to having a variety of different products for different types of customers.

When the iPhone came out, Apple's sales and share were too small to justify multlple products. Today, they're easily large enough to support several products which address different markets.

That said, I fully expect that the 4S is history. For the past few years, Apple has had a new, main product plus 2 older products. If the continue the 'good, better, best' strategy, that would be 5, 5S, and 5C (not in that order, of course). There's actually research that shows that 3 products is ideal in many cases. Fewer products and the customers are less likely to choose the premium one. More than 3 and it creates confusion. 'good, better, best' exists for a reason.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macdaddykane View Post

Since my opinion is as good as any analyst's here's my predictions:

iPhone C $299 available in US and all of Apple major markets. Putting it at $99 with contract. "Available Today".

iPhone 5s $599 "Available Sept 20"

Narrow bezel iPad November.

Agree, except an analyst may actually have a real rumor source (reliable or not), so basically your predictions are even more useless.

• Reply 36 of 41
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Normally I'd agree but with so many sources plus a slew of pics made the 'rumors' more than that. I'd call them unauthorized leaks. Apple rarely announces a device before the day of presentation.

So a rumor, with pictures, becomes believable if it is repeated often enough. Considering all the rumors and pictures are ALL from unconfirmed sources that is sad.

• Reply 37 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    realistic wrote: »
    So a rumor, with pictures, becomes believable if it is repeated often enough. Considering all the rumors and pictures are ALL from unconfirmed sources that is sad.

Is there ever a confirmed source when it comes to Apple? I guess they'll get their confirmation tomorrow.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

So T-Mobile is cheaper...but why is it so difficult for carriers to have one monthly price for phones on subsidy and another lesser price for phones that are not on subsidy. Even after the initial 2 year contract the subsidy is paid off but the monthly fee is the same. It makes no sense to buy the phone outright unless they are going to discount the monthly fee.

• Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

My mistake.  Its $70 unlimited for one user.  Still its much cheaper than AT&T/Verizon.  As long as your city as Tmobile LTE its a great deal.

I also like Tmobile because they let you bring your own phone and pricing is straight forward.  AT&T does also but its very hard to determine what the monthly cost would be without a subsidized phone.  Can't find it anywhere on their website.

You can't find cheaper pricing for BYOD with AT&T because there isn't any... That's the problem with the other big carriers. You're paying the price for the subsidy even if you bring your own phone or the contract is satisfied. If you want a cheaper price with AT&T, you'll have to get GoPhone, AIO or one of the other prepaid plans from either Net10 or Straight Talk (and other MVNOs). 

• Reply 40 of 41
    realistic wrote: »

There's your confirmation. The rumors were true.