Yahoo's Screen re-imagines video for Apple's iOS, Vine app gets update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Yahoo is looking to remake the video watching experience on iOS devices, and micro-video sharing app Vine has received an update that tweaks its interface and improves functionality.

Yahoo Screen

The new Yahoo! Screen app brings a novel, swipe- and gesture-based interface to video play on iOS devices. Users are presented with a wall of content from a number of providers, typically in the form of short clips.

Thanks to a number of deals Yahoo has made with Viacom and other providers, Screen features content from Comedy Central and elsewhere. The app will have clips from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Saturday Night Live, and more. It will also feature new shows such as Jack Black's Ghost Ghirls and John Stamos' Losing It With John Stamos.

Yahoo! Screen is available as a free download in the iTunes App Store. The 25.5MB app requires an iPad, iPod, or iPhone running iOS 6.0 or later.

Vine update brings tweaks and improvements

Popular video sharing app Vine has seen an update to version 1.3.2. This latest update allows users to access all photo albums on a device when selecting a profile picture, not just the Camera Roll. It also solves issues that caused recordings to be dropped when Vine was closed during video capture.

Users will also find that their Find Friends lis is sorted to surface unfollowed accounts first. Another issue that caused the comment field to expand unreliably when typing long messages has been solved as well.

Version 1.3.2 of Vine contains a number of other bug fixes and improvements. The 12.0MB download is available for free in the App Store. It requires an iPhone, iPod, or iPad running iOS 5.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    I downloaded Screen. Not bad. Just as simple and elegant as their weather app. The Apple weather app is useless, without such info as chance of rain, humidity/windchill, etc. Apple needs to let me delete that app, or take their apps more seriously.

How if Yahoo would update that Messenger software or at least change that hideous smily face on it...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Yahoo is looking to remake the video watching experience on iOS devices, ... in the USA

... Screen features content from Comedy Central and elsewhere. ... for USA viewers ... The app will have clips from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Saturday Night Live, and more ... if you live in the USA

Yahoo! Screen is available as a free download in the iTunes App Store. The 25.5MB app requires an iPad, iPod, or iPhone running iOS 6.0 or later. ... and residency in the USA

Fixed!  :)

• Reply 3 of 9
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I like Yahoo Weather too.  I wish Yahoo can make an iPad optimized version. 

• Reply 4 of 9
    Apple's weather app in iOS 7 IS the Yahoo weather app (they licensed it from yahoo).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Originally Posted by MacGizmo View Post

Apple's weather app in iOS 7 IS the Yahoo weather app (they licensed it from yahoo).

It's data from Yahoo!, but not Yahoo!'s app (vis a vis design), as Apple has used that design since 2005. Apple should be able to offer up more detailed information to those who want to turn it on; why they don't is beyond me.

• Reply 6 of 9
    It's data from Yahoo!, but not Yahoo!'s app (vis a vis design), as Apple has used that design since 2005. Apple should be able to offer up more detailed information to those who want to turn it on; why they don't is beyond me.

Could it be that no one is using it?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Yahoo is looking to remake the video watching experience on iOS devices, ... in the USA

... Screen features content from Comedy Central and elsewhere. ... for USA viewers ... The app will have clips from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Saturday Night Live, and more ... if you live in the USA

Yahoo! Screen is available as a [URL=http://appleinsider.com/l/?link=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yahoo!-screen/id694865999?ls=1

I get the feeling you are let down from time to time because there is something only the US gets, not Canada. If so, would moving to the US be an option?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Could it be that no one is using it?

The iOS Weather app and OS X Weather widget? No one? That'd be a shock. They're both great for what they DO do; why not make them just do more? 

• Reply 9 of 9
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Could it be that no one is using it?</span>

The iOS Weather app and OS X Weather widget? No one? That'd be a shock. They're both great for what they DO do; why not make them just do more? 

Well it's a nice design, but not giving that much info. True, it's typical Apple, simplicity, and therefore I think it's cool for what it is. But ever since I installed Weather Pro in May 2009 I haven't any other apps. Except for wind direction, that's the only data that isn't reliable in WP.