WSJ reaffirms 'iPhone 5S' to boast fingerprint sensor, 'iPhone 5C' left without

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 59
    normmnormm Posts: 570member
    hentaiboy wrote: »

    This sensor also senses the pattern of blood flow in the finger. It won't work if the finger isn't attached.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    I don't think Apple will go iWallet (or however you want to call it), simply because it wouldn't make sense then NOT to equip the 5C with the required tech, keeping the amount of potential customers much lower and therefore not encouraging stores to implement the counterpart that much.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope we get more than just unlocking the device. I'd love for there to be a surprise, something that didnt leak out that has people pleasantly surprised.

    I think it is totally possible that some things might come with point updates to iOS 7, at least for tablets they really seem to struggle a bit getting it ready.

    The fact that iOS 7 is not a golden master yet, makes me suspect that there are some additional APIs/apps/features to be announced today -- with a new GM 1 release of iOS 7.

    If so, likely, certain developers were given early access to these APIs to develop new apps for the iPhone. Things like: using beacons for in-store advertising/navigation; point-of-sale and electronic wallet; boarding passes, toll payments, etc...
  • Reply 44 of 59
    I don't think Apple will go iWallet (or however you want to call it), simply because it wouldn't make sense then NOT to equip the 5C with the required tech, keeping the amount of potential customers much lower and therefore not encouraging stores to implement the counterpart that much.

    Couple of thoughts here:

    If the 5C is targeted at emerging or prepaid markets there is less likelihood that these users would have the means to take advantage of electronic wallet.

    By limiting the capability to fewer, more affluent users -- you have a more disciplined rollout of the feature and the infrastructure needed to support it.
  • Reply 45 of 59

    I'll buy an iPhone 5S if it has the following: 4.8-5 inch screen, NFC, 2 Gb RAM. Otherwise I'm not interested, my iPhone 4 is still good enough, I see absolutely no reason to change it. Fingerprint is nice only if you use it together with NFC to pay for things otherwise is almost a gimmick and certainly not a reason to change my phone.

  • Reply 46 of 59
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    I'll buy an iPhone 5S if it has the following: 4.8-5 inch screen, NFC, 2 Gb RAM. Otherwise I'm not interested, my iPhone 4 is still good enough, I see absolutely no reason to change it. Fingerprint is nice only if you use it together with NFC to pay for things otherwise is almost a gimmick and certainly not a reason to change my phone.
    Looks like you'll be staying on your 4.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I don't think Apple will go iWallet (or however you want to call it), simply because it wouldn't make sense then NOT to equip the 5C with the required tech, keeping the amount of potential customers much lower and therefore not encouraging stores to implement the counterpart that much.

    Marketing involves differentiation. You first set out to understand your customers and the different groups of customers you might have. Then you make products for those customers and differentiate so you can obtain a premium price for some of them.

    There needs to be a significant differentiator between the high end (5S) and 'economy' (5C) phones to justify the rumored price difference and simply the case isn't sufficient. A fingerprint sensor would be.

    Besides, the 5C is more of an entry level phone - targeted at young people and people in 'poor' countries, so the fingerprint sensor wouldn't add as much value for the target markets.

    I'm still not 100% convinced that it is real (although the WSJ is usually fairly accurate and doesn't report things until they're certain), but am just pointing out that there is no marketing reason why they couldn't use a fingerprint sensor only on the high end phone.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    jragosta wrote: »
    Marketing involves differentiation. You first set out to understand your customers and the different groups of customers you might have. Then you make products for those customers and differentiate so you can obtain a premium price for some of them.

    There needs to be a significant differentiator between the high end (5S) and 'economy' (5C) phones to justify the rumored price difference and simply the case isn't sufficient. A fingerprint sensor would be.

    Besides, the 5C is more of an entry level phone - targeted at young people and people in 'poor' countries, so the fingerprint sensor wouldn't add as much value for the target markets.

    I'm still not 100% convinced that it is real (although the WSJ is usually fairly accurate and doesn't report things until they're certain), but am just pointing out that there is no marketing reason why they couldn't use a fingerprint sensor only on the high end phone.

    I just don't see anyone picking a $199 phone over a $99, $49 or free phone because the $199 has a fingerprint scanner.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

    Was new to me.

     

    Yeah, except that's not the point, 'kay? The point is it's completely irrelevant to anything being discussed here.

     

    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

    New high-res version of the iPhone 5S box picture we've seen before.


     

    And now I buy it. Looks legit.

     

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

    or you could just get some glasses. I can't beleive how many fools think screen size is the end all.  Samdung has truly brainwashed a huge chunk of the population.


     

    Ooh… valid position, invalid premise.

  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    +metal case

    +faster internals

    +presige

    And I'm pretty sure the fingerprint scanner will be used for much more than simply unlocking the screen.

    And it may have a bigger screen........


    I have to keep my iPhone 4 in an ugly rubber case because of the antenna problem, which IS very real, so metal case, glass case, plastic case, I don't really care. I'm used to my ugly rubber iPhone :D

    Faster internals is good, but... I have no apps that I could say, Oh my god, this app is so slow that I really need a faster phone! Besides games, which I don't play on the phone, there is nothing that I could do with a faster phone that I can't do with my iPhone 4.

    prestige? What??? I don't care!

    I'm pretty sure fingerprint scanner will not be used for anything more than unlocking. I could be wrong, but for the last 2 years almost every rumor has been true, and I didn't hear anything about something other than unlocking.

    Bigger screen? I wish!

  • Reply 51 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I just don't see anyone picking a $199 phone over a $99, $49 or free phone because the $199 has a fingerprint scanner.

    No one cares whether you can see it or not.

    Lots of people buy each generation of iPhone even though the previous one does all the same things. Adding something that the previous generation won't do only accentuates that.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope we get more than just unlocking the device. I'd love for there to be a surprise, something that didnt leak out that has people pleasantly surprised.

    Fingering the iPhone should make it vibrate and wake up Siri.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Yet another analyst who just doesn't get it (like so many of the people posting here):
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/technology/guarding-a-luxury-aura.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

    There is absolutely no reason to think that Apple will sell a "cheap" phone. Less expensive is not the same as cheap.

    Furthermore, even the basic premise is wrong. The iPhone is not a 'luxury' brand by any stretch of the imagination. People buy it because of what it does - and how well it does it. NOT because of glamor or style.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    jragosta wrote: »
    No one cares whether you can see it or not.

    Lots of people buy each generation of iPhone even though the previous one does all the same things. Adding something that the previous generation won't do only accentuates that.

    I don't doubt that it'll sell, I just don't buy that the fingerprint scanner will be a option that'll make a big difference in choosing which model will be purchased.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    jragosta wrote: »
    Less expensive is not the same as cheap.

    It's exactly the same. You're just adding a negative connotation to the word cheap to mean something is crap, but the true definition of cheap is less expensive. An Aston Martin is cheap compared to a Bugatti but that doesn't mean that the AM is 'cheap'.
  • Reply 56 of 59

    Cheap had two meanings when I was growing up in New Jersey-

     

    First - shoddy, poorly made, fails early. IE- 'This cheap piece of %^&* broke 10 days after I bought it!'

     

    Second- Apparent discount versus perceived value. IE- 'I got my new Lexus cheap because it was the end of the model year.'

     

    I don't mind the second one, and I suspect anything Apple makes at this point won't be the first one. 

     

    So, if you are commenting and mean the second definition, use the word 'Value' and not 'Cheap' to avoid confusion. 

     

    There's a third meaning that would be applied to people who are stingy. IE- 'He's a cheap bastard!' I prefer thrifty.

     

    The forth 'cheap' would be the sounds duckling or chicks make.

     

    We'll find out in the next few hours what Apple has up it's sleeves, and I'm betting on a value iPhone.

  • Reply 58 of 59
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


     

    Use your nose to operate the touchscreen; the iPhone 5S allows you to also use your tongue.

Sign In or Register to comment.