Sheriffs use Apple's Find My iPhone to track down missing child

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Are people really going in on the dad for going to make a quick stop at the store? If it was a convenient store would it have been better? What if he got out and went to pay for gas at a gas station? 

You take the kid with you. Always.

• Reply 22 of 38
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Are people really going in on the dad for going to make a quick stop at the store? If it was a convenient store would it have been better? What if he got out and went to pay for gas at a gas station? 

So you don't have kids. Anything else you want to tell us?

• Reply 23 of 38

May I be the first to say - Yah! Score one for the good guys!

We all make mistakes, happy endings are good.

• Reply 24 of 38

The father was a moron for leaving his car unlocked with his kid inside while going to buy drugs.

On the bright side,  the father was an Apple user and both the child and car were able to be retrieved.

In related news, 184 children of Android users have gone missing in the past twelve months. To date, only 3 have been located so far.:no:

• Reply 25 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

In a twisted way there is logic to the whole thing.

1. The kid was in the car and in Texas this time of year it is still warm. So keys in the car so the AC is on.

2. Kid was likely playing a game on the phone. Or it was small enough it would go into a side pocket or the mid well that has a cover. iPad too big for that and perhaps dad doesn't let the kid play with it. So better to take it inside than risk someone seeing it and breaking a window to get I

3. I believe Texas is one of the states that bans anyone under 21 from being in a liquor store. So of course the kid would be left outside. And there might not be a mother to leave him at home with

So in this guys mind it all made sense.

Nicely done, and not at all twisted.

Far too much rushing to jump on a guy with a bare minimum of fact.   Leaving a kid for a minute should not go down as an open invite for them to be snatched, or auto-condemned as irresponsible behaviour.  If you have kids, you leave them alone sometimes.  You can't watch them 24-7.

Can we just chalk this up as a happy ending with a tech angle without all the snap-judgement?

• Reply 26 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    So you don't have kids. Anything else you want to tell us?

He has a point, how many people remove their kids from the car seat and take them in to pay for their gas? Not many because I see it happen constantly.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    wisdomseed wrote: »
    The reason to leave the kid in the car is the child carseat. They are a necessary hastle, as a matter of I e management, he could've gone in and got whatever he wanted in less time than it takes get the child in and out of the seat. As for the keys, that could be a small town thing. The iPad? I have no idea.

Please don't have kids. There is no logical reason to leave a kid in a car...ever.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Another preventable accident -- leaving the 5-year-old in the car with the keys in the ignition. Dude. Seriously. We love to read about Apple -- does Android even have a "find my android" feature? -- but next time be a great dad and take your 5-year old son into the liquor store.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Houston ? A small town thing. Really ?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    gustav wrote: »
    You take the kid with you. Always.

That isn't even rational, it just isn't practical nor even wise. Think about it the next time you are parked at a gas station / convenience store and observe the number of people with small kids that leave them strapped in. It isn't just a time thing but responsible parent avoid exposing their kids to things that might not be suitable for their ages. In the case of liquor stores it may be illegal to even take the kid in the place or the store may have policies against it.

In the end it is far more responsible to leave the kid in the car than to leave him at home alone. Frankly I think you suffer from the "blame the victim mentality" that has swept the country with Obama in office.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    jungmark wrote: »
    Please don't have kids. There is no logical reason to leave a kid in a car...ever.
    Baloney.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    wizard69 wrote: »
    That isn't even rational, it just isn't practical nor even wise. Think about it the next time you are parked at a gas station / convenience store and observe the number of people with small kids that leave them strapped in. It isn't just a time thing but responsible parent avoid exposing their kids to things that might not be suitable for their ages. In the case of liquor stores it may be illegal to even take the kid in the place or the store may have policies against it.

In the end it is far more responsible to leave the kid in the car than to leave him at home alone. Frankly I think you suffer from the "blame the victim mentality" that has swept the country with Obama in office.

Then don't take your kid. Chances are there are two parents. One can stay with the kid.

How many times has a "quick" trip turn into 20 min, 30 min, "omg I forgot my kid's in the car" trip?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    "As for the keys, that could be a small town thing."
    Houston is a small town?
    Compared to Shanghai, I guess so.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tulkas wrote: »

Adults aren't allowed to bring their kids into the liquor store?

Not in most states. To be honest, I didn't check whether it was OK in the state involved in this case.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How many times has a "quick" trip turn into 20 min, 30 min, "omg I forgot my kid's in the car" trip?

My father said he was "just running to the liquor store" before he left... 20 years ago.

• Reply 36 of 38

Why is everyone jumping to the conclusion he left the keys in the car?  He could have had remote start and left it running using the remote start and taken the keys with him.  I do this all the time in my truck.

Also it was 8:30 at night, I would say there was a good chance the kid was probably sleeping in the back seat, and that was why the dad didn't take him in.  Would you really wake your kid up to take them inside the store real quick?

As far as why he took the ipad in, but not the iphone, I'm not sure that does seem kind of strange.  Maybe he knew somebody that worked there and was going to let them borrow it?  Maybe he wasn't even buying liqour just dropping the iPad off, which would be a real quick stop and another reason he might not have taken the kid in.

Seems like everyone is jumping to a lot of conclusions and judging the dad without knowing the whole story.  Of course that seems to be what everyone does all the time now days.

• Reply 37 of 38

Maybe we'll get "Find my Car" in iOS for the car.

Useful for this and for those pesky mall parking lots. And NSA. Shhh.

• Reply 38 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    Who leaves their phone in the car and grabs their iPad to run into the liquor store?
    philboogie wrote:
    What kind of father leaves his iPhone in the car but takes his iPad into a liqueur store?
    Who leaves their kid in the car but takes their iPad instead.
    jragosta wrote:
    Well, you're allowed to take your iPad into the store. You can't take the child in.
    tulkas wrote:
    Takes his iPad but leaves car keys and child.

:lol: This is like one of those puzzles where you can't leave the chicken with the wolf or the chicken with the grain.

The solution is to leave a security guard (significant other) behind at all times to stop anything bad happening. That way you can leave any combination of anything. The kid, the wife, the iPhone, the iPad, the keys can all stay in the car while dad's in the liquor store.