Apple increases AppleCare+ for iPhone deductible to $79 from $49

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Originally Posted by wlmwallace View Post

I am also really disappointed in the pricing of the 5c.  $100 less than the equivalent 5s?  Who came up with that!?!?

Steve Jobs.

Still upset about it?

• Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RelliK View Post

Looks like my next warranty on my iDevice will be through a 3rd Party like SquareTrade. $100ish dollars with no deductible if you use the apple genius bar for repair/replacement.

Exactly. Right now they're offering a coupon for $10 off, and you don't have to use the coupon soon (meaning you can buy that 5S next month and still pay $89 for a SquareTrade plan). SquareTrade also has the advantage of being eligible for purchased within the first 30 days rather than at the same time. Easier to palette a $300 phone purchase on this paycheck and a $89 warrantee on the next paycheck.

• Reply 23 of 37
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Exactly. Right now they're offering a coupon for $10 off, and you don't have to use the coupon soon (meaning you can buy that 5S next month and still pay $89 for a SquareTrade plan). SquareTrade also has the advantage of being eligible for purchased within the first 30 days rather than at the same time. Easier to palette a $300 phone purchase on this paycheck and a $89 warrantee on the next paycheck.

Applecare + has a 30 day window as well, but you have to submit to a phone diagnostic to prove that it in good condition.

• Reply 24 of 37

Not upset - disappointed was the word I used.  Steve Jobs or not - doesn't matter who made the decision, that extra $100 is going to cost them millions of new customers that would be buying into the Apple ecosystem and building Apple's user base for what will really be their cash cow in the future - content, not devices.  I'm not saying pull an Amazon, Sony or a Microsoft with loss leader devices, I'm just saying give your head a shake and look at the future and not your margins for the next 12 months.

• Reply 25 of 37
    Phone pricing is a weird beast for apple. With the 5c Priced as it is, half of Wall Street will yell for cheaper phones. If it was $350, they would yell about margins falling.

Apple basically just said " we're on the right track"
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Originally Posted by wlmwallace View Post

what will really be their cash cow in the future - content, not devices.

It hasn't ever been; why would it be now?

• Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

They don't give it to you in a box... at least none of the ones I've gotten. 

Wow, how many times have you had to use this? You are probably one of the reasons for the increase. 

• Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah? It's better than $599 every time you need a replacement.

Since when has a replacement been $599?

• Reply 29 of 37
    sockrolid wrote: »
    I wonder how many people smash their old iPhone just before upgrading to a new one.
    So they can sell the brand-new, still-in-shrinkwrapped-box replacement on eBay.
    Maybe the new $79 replacement cost will help to thwart that.

Doesn't work like that. You get a phone. That's all. No box etc.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    jpdlvmh wrote: »
    Don't forget that in Europe Apple has to give TWO years guarantee, by law.

If they sold it to you (it's a sellers guarantee not a manufacturers one), it's only on defect not damage. And in several countries after six months the cx has to prove the defect was present when the item was sold to them, which is rather impossible if you had it for six months while it wasn't functioning and didn't deal with it which is what can happen to many because some defects happen after the fact. From us, from abuse that leaves no obvious damage like leaving it in your car in the sun or smaller drops.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    mikepro wrote: »
    Makes Applecare even less appealing now.

I got Applecare on both our phones last time. Had to use it 2x on my wife's one, once due to water damage, and a month later do to a really unfortunate drop. Each time I asked what the replacement cost would have been without the warranty, and was told $199. Standard out of warranty repair.

Price for a 5 is already higher and the price for a 5C or 5S could be higher still.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

Since when has a replacement been $599?

So you're on contract, destroy your phone, and don't have insurance. I guess… what, you magically get one for free?

• Reply 33 of 37
    So you're on contract, destroy your phone, and don't have insurance. I guess… what, you magically get one for free?
    Not free but unless you loose it or smash it to pieces you can get it out of warranty repaired (rplaced with a refurb) for a set fee instead of out right buying a new one.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, but Apple doesn't charge you $599 for a replacement either. 

• Reply 35 of 37
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

my IT guy says att offers $10 month free replacement for up to 3 occurrences 

yes 20 more per year but no deductible

will check it out and confirm

what other options for us??

i usually get applecare but this time maybe not

when my contract is up in early october i will upgrade maybe oct or nov 

• Reply 36 of 37
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

what insurance programs are out there

anything for damage as well as if lost or stolen???

any links to a review site

i've heard squaretrade is good but not sure about lost or stolen

your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated

i found this link,   just need to update , but gives which company handles lost, stolen damaged iPhone

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/02/5-of-the-best-aftermarket-smartphone-insurance-plans.html

• Reply 37 of 37

Even more important than this is the fact that Apple has screwed iPhone owners out of their ability to purchase an extended warranty.  Anyone that purchased an iPhone between January, 2014 and July, 2014 bought their phone with the agreement that they could purchase the AppleCare extended warranty anytime within one year of the purchase date.  Now we find out that Apple has dropped the AppleCare warranty and only offer the AppleCarePlus warranty which must be purchased within 60 days of the original iPhone purchase.  The problem is Apple did not notify iPhone owners that might have been waiting to purchase the AppleCare warranty within their first year of the purchase.  Apple did not contact them and give them the opportunity at the time of change to purchase the AppleCarePlus warranty.  Apple does not not now offer those iPhone owners the possibility to purchase the AppleCarePlus warranty.  Apple did not "Grandfather Clause" in the previous iPhone owners who have lost what was their agreement to purchase an AppleCare warranty within one year of purchasing the phone.  Apple broke the agreement it had with iPhone purchasers.  That is unacceptable and iPhone owners should be talking to each other about class action litigation