Apple releases iOS 7 golden master to developers ahead of Sept. 18 public launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

iOS 7 GM not yet showing as an available update yet in settings for me in central west Florida.

As far as I know, the GM has to be downloaded from the dev site.  Not being supported for updates over air.

• Reply 22 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

It's not part of the OS. Why would it be updated in the GM?

Odd comment. Plenty of Apple applications have lost the skeuomorphic look in iOS7, why not Find Friends. Contacts did for example.
  • Reply 23 of 66

Plenty of Apple applications have lost the skeuomorphic look in iOS7, why not Find Friends. Contacts did for example.

Contacts is part of the OS. Find My Friends is not. It would not be updated as part of the GM. It is not part of the OS. Odd comment, indeed.

Find My iPhone got an update at the same time as Find My Friends, a few weeks ago. The former received a UI and icon overhaul to iOS 7, the latter did not. That should be what is being discussed, not why software that isn't part of the OS and which has never been part of the OS was not updated with the OS.

• Reply 24 of 66
    melgross wrote: »
    That's because everything is late in West Florida.

Ha ha

But we do have teeth in this area.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Contacts is part of the OS. Find My Friends is not. It would not be updated as part of the GM. It is not part of the OS. Odd comment, indeed.

Find My iPhone got an update at the same time as Find My Friends, a few weeks ago. The former received a UI and icon overhaul to iOS 7, the latter did not. That should be what is being discussed, not why software that isn't part of the OS and which has never been part of the OS was not updated with the OS.

I never mentioned OS in my OP on that topic, you did in the reply. I was simply wondering if the GM would finally nail the last remnant of skeuomorphism, that's all. It could not be included as a UI update at this juncture, or not ... I was simply curious.
  • Reply 26 of 66

I was simply wondering if the GM would finally nail the last remnant of skeuomorphism, that's all.

Yes, and how could a GM alter software that isn't part of itself?

• Reply 27 of 66
    I'm curious, is there an option to slightly bold up the font in 7? That's the big downside to it, the text really is spindly. It makes me think they weren't nearly scientific enough with legibility. If you want to see something that really is well thought out, look at the new highway font on interstate direction signs. They spent years figuring that out, even to the point of checking out fonts from other countries such as the British "worboys" font that was thought to be as good as it could get for legibility. What's really impressive about the US highway font is how effortless it is to read. That's also a feeling I have had with iOS 6. 7, not so much.

Are you actually using the dev version? I've never found any issue with legibility and my near vision isn't all that good.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    auxio wrote: »
    The GM (full restore version) is already available to paid iOS developers on developer.apple.com, but I'm not seeing the update available on my iPhone.  So I'm thinking not.  It would probably be best to test apps with a fresh and clean GM installation anyways.

Yep.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I was simply wondering if the GM would finally nail the last remnant of skeuomorphism, that's all.

Yes, and how could a GM alter software that isn't part of itself?

A GM is not some piece of magic code. It is simply a final candidate containing the rsrcs and flags for the installer that is a final test for what anyone with a new device or updating will get. The GM is nothing more than a whole bunch of files all bundled together (kind of like a folder) that is marked as being part of a pkg of rsrcs (code, txt, pix, strs, nibs, etc…). It can include multiple stand alone apps a single app, a kernel extension (kext), a service, etc…. If you look at an app for example the may contain more than just the one app. Granted the installer is typically built into iTunes for iOS and the pcs are specified in the Xcode project file when the App is all assembled but that in no way limits what Apple choses to install with their Apps and System. Remember Apple owns the installer and has gone to quite a bit of trouble to keep it secure from outsiders -- but not themselves.

• Reply 30 of 66
    iOS 7 GM not yet showing as an available update yet in settings for me in central west Florida.

It doesn't show under Software Update in Settings on any of our iDevices...

I think you will need to dload it from the developer site.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    mstone wrote: »
    As much as I want to like the look of iOS 7, I'm just not onboard with the transparency, flat icons and text with low contrast and poor legibility. I admittedly have not tried any of the developer builds but still, I have some doubts about the theme.

When I first saw the WWDC preso of iOS 7, I had similar feelings.

Then I tried it -- and it was OK... meh.

After using it for about a week, my initial feelings became a distant memory.

The edge-to-edge display of content, the convenience, speed and fluidity advantages * -- it is sooo much better than iOS 6 and earlier.

* for example to unlock the home screen you just flick [almost] anywhere on the display in a general left to right motion -- as opposed to visually targeting then precisely moving the slider control in earlier iOS releases.

Try it, You'll like it!

P.S. You folks won't have Dick Applebaum to kick around much longer... I'm changing my name to Miley!
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

A GM is not some piece of magic code. It is simply a final candidate containing the rsrcs and flags for the installer that is a final test for what anyone with a new device or updating will get. The GM is nothing more than a whole bunch of files all bundled together (kind of like a folder) that is marked as being part of a pkg of rsrcs (code, txt, pix, strs, nibs, etc…). It can include multiple stand alone apps a single app, a kernel extension (kext), a service, etc…. If you look at an app for example the may contain more than just the one app. Granted the installer is typically built into iTunes for iOS and the pcs are specified in the Xcode project file when the App is all assembled but that in no way limits what Apple choses to install with their Apps and System. Remember Apple owns the installer and has gone to quite a bit of trouble to keep it secure from outsiders -- but not themselves.

Sounds like you're corroborating what I'm saying.

• Reply 33 of 66
    There is no more "Slide to Unlock" sound - is it never coming back?
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Originally Posted by angusw View Post

There is no more "Slide to Unlock" sound - is it never coming back?

I thought I just heard it in a hands-on video of the 5S… Have to wait for a quieter one, I guess. I can't imagine   that such an iconic sound would be removed.

• Reply 35 of 66
    Sounds like you're corroborating what I'm saying.

He wrote " It can include multiple stand alone apps a single app, a kernel extension (kext), a service, etc…. "
  • Reply 36 of 66
    It doesn't show under Software Update in Settings on any of our iDevices...

I think you will need to dload it from the developer site.

Yep for sure.
  • Reply 37 of 66

He wrote " It can include multiple stand alone apps a single app, a kernel extension (kext), a service, etc…. "

But what it does not include is Find My Friends, in any capacity, nor has it ever.

• Reply 38 of 66

But what it does not include is Find My Friends, in any capacity, nor has it ever.

My original, semi comical. point was … could the 7 GM be the moment when Scott's last Stitch disappears? It could be done in a software update triggered once the GM is rebooted. I was not trying to get into a pedantic discussion about how. Rather that it might be the point in time. Or as I had previously postulated, in jest, be left there as a monument in remembrance. You need to get out and take a walk some times you know ;)
  • Reply 39 of 66

My original, semi comical. point was … could the 7 GM be the moment when Scott's last Stitch disappears?

Oh, yes! Certainly.

It could be done in a software update triggered once the GM is rebooted. I was not trying to get into a pedantic discussion about how. Rather that it might be the point in time. Or as I had previously postulated, in jest, be left there as a monument in remembrance. You need to get out and take a walk some times you know image

I rather think that FMF will get an update to match by/on the 18th, just that it wouldn't have happened in the GM.

• Reply 40 of 66
    When I first saw the WWDC preso of iOS 7, I had similar feelings.

Then I tried it -- and it was OK... meh.

After using it for about a week, my initial feelings became a distant memory.

The edge-to-edge display of content, the convenience, speed and fluidity advantages * -- it is sooo much better than iOS 6 and earlier.

* for example to unlock the home screen you just flick [almost] anywhere on the display in a general left to right motion -- as opposed to visually targeting then precisely moving the slider control in earlier iOS releases.

Try it, You'll like it!

P.S. You folks won't have Dick Applebaum to kick around much longer... I'm changing my name to Miley!

Ok, I'll bite ... why Miley? Going red neck?