US government leverages Apple's App Store in fight against child sex crimes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new iOS app released today by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is designed to enlist the public's help to track down child predators being sought for criminal prosecution.

Dubbed 'Operation Predator,' the app is representative of an emerging trend in law enforcement toward engaging the public and putting more information at people's fingertips. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is the first federal law enforcement agency to embrace the technology.

The app displays profiles of fugitive and suspected child predators and allows the public to submit tips, anonymously, at any time. Users can also choose to receive push notifications of wanted individuals and share the information via social media. News about arrests and prosecutions as well as updates on ICE's operations are also offered.

While announcing the new app, John Sandweg, ICE Acting Director, stressed the importance of staying ahead of the curve: "When children are being sexually abused and exploited, it's a race against the clock to rescue the child and bring the predator to justice. These investigations are one of our highest priorities, and in today's world, we need to be technologically savvy and innovative in our approach," he said.

The Operation Predator app was developed by ICE's Office of Public Affairs with input from field offices around the United States and help from Homeland Security Investigations' Cyber Crimes Center.

ICE Director of Public Affairs Brian Hale called the app "another useful tool to reach the public," and went on to say that while ICE understands that mobile phone users can sometimes be overwhelmed with information, the agency is "hopeful that this app will encourage them to submit tips about suspects and to learn more about our work investigating child exploitation crimes."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    i doubt that this is anonymous...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by helmut View Post

i doubt that this is anonymous...

Yeah nothing is really truly anonymous in this day and age with electronic communications. They can trace us back if they really want to.

However, I a good ideal that law enforcement is actually using the public to help track down people, They really need to get some of these people off the street and stop worrying about the guy smoking weed.

The local transit authority has release a suspicious person app to allow you to report people who look like they are up to no good or if a bag has been unattended. You know this is going to back fire since people will report a person they do not like or something similar, great way to harass someone you do not like and they claim the app is anonymous too.

• Reply 3 of 13

Who cares if it's anonymous.  Why would you want to be anonymous on reporting these animals to law enforcement?!?!

• Reply 4 of 13
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex iPhone Owner View Post

Who cares if it's anonymous.  Why would you want to be anonymous on reporting these animals to law enforcement?!?!

I'd want this app integrated with game center so high scores on identifying/reporting these guys can be compared.

• Reply 5 of 13
    Originally Posted by Ex iPhone Owner View Post

So that when they break out of jail or serve their terms they don't come kill you in your sleep. 

How's that even a question?

• Reply 6 of 13
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Reminds me of a funny joke I heard the other day:

People who are afraid of pedophiles really need to grow up.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    DoJ to sue Apple for having a monopoly on ICE apps.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

However, I a good ideal that law enforcement is actually using the public to help track down people, They really need to get some of these people off the street and stop worrying about the guy smoking weed.

Well as much as I'd like to help get criminals off the street, I'm flummoxed about 'helping' the Police with their stated duties.  I can't remember that last time a cop or any other public official stopped by my work and offered to help me or my co-workers with anything; much less even got out of their cars to help a bad traffic situation, yet the 'public' is expected to help them do their jobs?  How's that work?  I have an idea; how about cops stop hiding behind bushes with their radar guns waiting for speeders or hanging out in droves at the corner Starbucks?  Instead, get your lazy arses out of your patrol cars and do some real Police work for a change!   

• Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

Well as much as I'd like to help get criminals off the street, I'm flummoxed about 'helping' the Police with their stated duties.  I can't remember that last time a cop or any other public official stopped by my work and offered to help me or my co-workers with anything; much less even got out of their cars to help a bad traffic situation, yet the 'public' is expected to help them do their jobs?  How's that work?  I have an idea; how about cops stop hiding behind bushes with their radar guns waiting for speeders or hanging out in droves at the corner Starbucks?  Instead, get your lazy arses out of your patrol cars and do some real Police work for a change!   

Ever heard of a witness?  Is it their "job" to help the police?  The police are not private sector employees which you seem to think they are.  The public pays their salary, therefore it would follow if the public can help them with their job it would be in the public's interest to get criminals off the street.   Or if you witness a crime should you not call the police because that is "helping" them?

Actually, your post might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet which is saying a lot.  Congrats.

• Reply 10 of 13
    tarfungo wrote: »
    This forum is home to a lot of stupid, but this is on a whole new level of stupid.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Originally Posted by tarfungo

Well as much as I'd like to help get criminals off the street, I'm flummoxed about 'helping' the Police with their stated duties. I can't remember that last time a cop or any other public official stopped by my work and offered to help me or my co-workers with anything; much less even got out of their cars to help a bad traffic situation, yet the 'public' is expected to help them do their jobs? How's that work? I have an idea; how about cops stop hiding behind bushes with their radar guns waiting for speeders or hanging out in droves at the corner Starbucks? Instead, get your lazy arses out of your patrol cars and do some real Police work for a change!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So that when they break out of jail or serve their terms they don't come kill you in your sleep. 

How's that even a question?

f**k them, let them come.  They are scumbags that are only strong enough to pray on children.  

• Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

Seriously?  You would let a predator of children get away because you don't want to help the law enforcement?  I hope you don't have kids.