Inside Apple's 64-bit iOS 7 and the prospects for a 64-bit Android

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

To be fair, iOS was also designed initially for low-memory low-powered devices like the original iPhone. Moreover, it debuted mainly as a platform for web apps, and only later were provisions for third-party apps added in.

Of course iOS is designed for low-memory low-powered devices! That is the beauty of it! That is a main reason precisely why Apple's approach does show processing gains while the approaches of others do not! That is why others complain that it can't be done and that this must be mere marketing fluff -- because the others can't pull it off! That is why Android requires more and more GPU cores and RAM and other resources to be thrown at it in order to function smoothly, but it still can't match the performance per power usage of and battery life of iOS devices.

Yeah, iOS was designed, you got that right! Apple intentionally designs to constraints, others lazily wait for the time they can just throw more resources at an issue, to deal with all the cruft that has built up over the years -- as with Windows. That's Apple products for you -- "unashamedly designed"

Now, as to the second part of your claim: "Debuted " does not mean it wasn't capable from the start.  iOS is from OS X and NeXT. It had the capability. Apple just didn't have the inclination to manage at that point an ecosystem as a walled garden in the way that they believed it should be managed. I mean, give me a break, you might as well say a device wasn't capable of being used as a personal music player because it didn't "debut" with earphones in the same box.
  • Reply 222 of 234
    krabbelen wrote: »
    [^ post]

As always, excellent points and post!

PS jeukt het nog steeds?
  • Reply 223 of 234

Another foaming rant from the king of the iSheep!  Bah Bah Daniel you iSheep!

• Reply 224 of 234

^

idiot

• Reply 225 of 234
    Wow, drink the koolade much guys? Considering many apps (browsers for one) are not allowed access to core threads I'd hardly call that a completely native app. Besides, Android can go places your iToys can't imagine... and we'll likely see x64 Android out next year. But you keep chugging that koolade down if it makes you feel all warm and cosy in that iBubble of yours.

There was a long time when I loved Macs but the smuggery wore thin... now the only place I run OSX in in vmware for test purposes
  • Reply 226 of 234
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ElricE View Post

Wow, drink the koolade much guys? Considering many apps (browsers for one) are not allowed access to core threads I'd hardly call that a completely native app. Besides, Android can go places your iToys can't imagine... and we'll likely see x64 Android out next year. But you keep chugging that koolade down if it makes you feel all warm and cosy in that iBubble of yours.

There was a long time when I loved Macs but the smuggery wore thin... now the only place I run OSX in in vmware for test purposes

WOW, aren't you so insightful.  "Going places your iToys can't imagine..."??????

Well, how come the music creation/production industry is basically 99% iOS and almost NOTHING for Android?  How can that be?

I've played around with Android OSs over the last couple of years and EVERY version 2.x, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2  SUCKED.  Nothing but a bunch of useless crap surrounded by some wannabe interface that WANTS to be like an Apple, but can't.  You can scratch off intuitive off the list of features of Android, because it's NOT intuitive.  It's just a bunch of crap thrown together to confuse people.  It's not a well thought out UI.

Pretty much like your failed attempt to put people down for using Apple products.

So, go away and post your silly comments on some Android based site and stop bothering us.

And wait another 6 months after Google releases a 64 bit OS to get your pathetic OEM version on a new phone you obviously have to wait for, and then wait ANOTHER 6 months for each bug fix and security update if the OEM mfg even bothers to update your device.

And wait even longer for the better apps to get released, if they ever do.

Some of us already know that 64 bit is more important on tablets rather than smartphones, but I'm sure we'll get some 64 bit tablets released next week.  Remember, the first stages of 64 bit aren't as encompassing as it gets 3 to 5 years down the road, but they have to start somewhere.

FYI, to run all of those useless and pathetic Android devices, it requires a LOT more horsepower so it can run smoothly, or did you forget that simple fact.

• Reply 227 of 234
    Quote:

I think you get the TROLL FOR THE DAY AWARD. 

• Reply 228 of 234
    Quote:

So what's the deal with all of these cheap Android phones running old obsolete processors and old outdated OSs?  What's the deal?  Can't they just discontinue that crap?  I guess they have to buy marketshare.  That's pathetic.    Apple won't sell a product unless it can run the latest OS.  How come the Android market can't seem to do something as intelligent?  Imagine that, 90+% can't even run the latest OS version.  Hahahahahahahahaha.  Talk about being an idiot.     Look in the mirror.

• Reply 229 of 234
    Quote:

Not allowed access to what?!? pthread and Grand Central Dispatch work perfectly fine, thank you very much.

On a side note, how do you find the JNI and the brutal restrictions imposed on C/C++ code?

You seem to gravely mistake Android for a desktop-class mobile Linux distribution. I will only note, that there are no Android API Levels in any Linux distribution (except in Android itself).

Where are those places iToys don't go, but Android goes? The trash can, maybe?

• Reply 230 of 234
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    capasicum wrote: »
    Not allowed access to what?!? pthread and Grand Central Dispatch work perfectly fine, thank you very much.

On a side note, how do you find the JNI and the brutal restrictions imposed on C/C++ code?

You seem to gravely mistake Android for a desktop-class mobile Linux distribution. I will only note, that there are no Android API Levels in any Linux distribution (except in Android itself).

Where are those places iToys don't go, but Android goes? The trash can, maybe?

I don't think he even knows what a thread is.
  • Reply 231 of 234

Don’t reply to hit and run trolls. Just report the idiots and move on.

• Reply 232 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

You young whippersnappers have it easy. My first computer had 16KB of RAM, and no hard drive - hell, it didn't even have a floppy drive. I used repurposed audio tape for storage. I was in heaven when the next one had 1MB of RAM and a pair of floppy drives - talk about coding in luxury. ;)

Sometime I missed my TRS-80 with tape cassette, everything was so simple back then, no OS to take care of, computers boots instantly... I still remember how awesome it was when I've got my first Mac IIx with 8Meg of ram.  

• Reply 233 of 234
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Nice invention of yours, first time I heard this from a fandroid.  How do you consider running apps in a Java VM?

• Reply 234 of 234

Google is replacing Darvik with the Android Runtime (ART). This should obviate the need to update Dalvik. Not disagreeing with anything you said, just saying...