Pictures claim to show Apple's 'space gray' second-gen iPad mini shell

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Please don't take pictures with an iPad. Please. Please. Please.

There seems to be a huge wave of protest about people using their tablets to take photos and record video...can I ask "why?". Is it simply because it looks dumb to hold up a large device to some people?

The screen of the iPad is far better at determining the quality of a photo than the iPhone's is. I don't know how many times I've taken a picture with my iPhone and thought it looked fine, only to get it on my computer at home and realize how out of focus it is.

The only real reason to not use the iPad to take photos is because of the quality of the camera. If it were on par with the iPhone's, I would definitely prefer to use my iPad over my Phone to take photos.

• Reply 22 of 50
    No flash at all, so low light photos will be still out of the question, looks like.

People who use an iPad to take photo's should be shot (with a proper camera¡)
    Probably the same people making a video in portrait mode.
    ireland wrote: »
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I hope this is in addition to and doesn't replace the current natural aluminum color.

It's replacing the stale model.

You think the current model is stale¿
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I presume you mean A7x ?

Didn't the iPad 2 only have an A5?  Anyways, I can see a 64 bit processor having more longevity that a 32 bit processor so yeah, I'm hoping for A7(x)

• Reply 24 of 50
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

I'm really only interested in whether the mini is going to have fingerprint detection and whether or not it's going to be 64bit.  

I also prefer to think of "space grey" as "NeXT grey & black."

• Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A flash would be nice, and I'm sure they will add one eventually to make the device more appealing, but it could easily be argued that adding features that encourages people to take photos with iPads is not a good thing.

Why?  People always say this but they never have a reason beyond "looks silly" which isn't a reason at all.  

The mini has a huge viewfinder and takes excellent pictures.  To me, the bigger fool is one who won't use a superior product for fear of looking foolish. 
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webweasel View Post

Didn't the iPad 2 only have an A5?  Anyways, I can see a 64 bit processor having more longevity that a 32 bit processor so yeah, I'm hoping for A7(x)

It does, but I think he was referring to the fact that the iPad 3 and 4 both got a slightly faster "x" version of whatever was just released for the previous iPhone (5, 5x, 6, 6x).  The iPad mini however, debuted with iPad 2 internals and thus the A5.  

I think until we see this second mini, it's a bit of a toss up as to whether Apple sees it as a full fledged iPad (thus presumably getting the 7x if it exists or at least the 7), or whether they see it like the iPhone 5c and it will just have "last years" internals from the main iPad line (presumably the 6x).  

There is certainly an advantage to going 64 bit for the whole line, and certainly an advantage to having fingerprint sensing for the whole line, but we don't know yet.  The lack of a flash is a bit alarming to me in that it implies "budget" device in a way.  I sure hope not though.  The mini is IMO the best iOS device they make.  I hope they don't keep it as a sort of retarded cousin with "budget" components and a downgraded camera.  

There is also that rumour to consider, that Apple was going to make a crap "budget" mini this time, and then release a "proper" one halfway through next year.  This would be a dirty trick indeed, but Apple has done things like that before. 

• Reply 27 of 50
    I hope iPad 5 will have Touch ID. Perfect if mini has it too.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    jccjcc Posts: 335member
    I like this titanium looking back much bette than the dark, almost black slate.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Come to think of it, mini probably uses A6 so no Touch ID.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

... Probably the same people making a video in portrait mode. ...

If I want to take a video of a person walking and keep that person in frame, a "portrait" video is the perfect framing for that.  It's good for lots of things.  

People should forget about how everything "used to be" and move forward IMO.  When I see a portrait video on a widescreen display and it's awkward, the first thing I think is not "that idiot shouldn't have taken this video in portrait mode," it's ... "why can't I swing my TV around on the wall to watch this properly?"  The displays should always adapt to the content not the other way around.    

• Reply 31 of 50

Ugh. 

• Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Like I said in another thread, is it possible the ipad 5 has smaller bezels but the same footprint, making it wider?

The case pics I seen looks to have a screen that is more "square" than rectangle.

maybe… but I doubt it… if anything, I would think it be smaller (that said,bezels are required for a thumb pinch and/or a stand, and allow for more battery).

The iPad Retina aspect ratio is pretty locked down… unless they are going to a new technology that is significantly better in visual presentation at the same or less price  (amoLED… doubtful given the state of the shelf), I don't see them either adding pixels or making them bigger [as that reduces the RD resolution].  adding more pixels, to gain 1/2" and toss all the developer screen layouts and artwork to the gutter without advanced warning seems crazy… at least until they fully retire the 3gs and iPad Mini/2 pixel dimensions.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm really only interested in whether the mini is going to have fingerprint detection and whether or not it's going to be 64bit. 

It's going 64 bit, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the 5S is the only device getting Touch ID this year, like the Siri release.

• Reply 34 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Why?  People always say this but they never have a reason beyond "looks silly" which isn't a reason at all. 

It looks silly is a reason, but I find it comes across as more obnoxious and rude over silly. And with Apple not adding a flash to it perhaps they fell the same? But like I said, Apple may eventually feel the need to match that feature when all the other tablets have flashes.

• Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:

It depends on the environment you're in.

At a stadium, or a public aquarium (at a scheduled feeding time), or a similar audience-type event... holding a tablet over the heads of the people in front of you significantly blocks the view for others behind you.  It's rude and thoughtless, especially if the tablet-holder is capturing video.

• Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by queue View Post

Come to think of it, mini probably uses A6 so no Touch ID.

quite possibly the A6x… just to make it align with the performance window of the current iPad 4.

the Mini is the 'low cost consumer iPad'   Consider the 'iPad' the 'useful professional' mobility device.

The bigger question is M7 to me… The Mini is more likely to be useful 'out of the box' with M7  and as it would be with a larger 'professional' platform'  and can the M7 offload the A6x processor.

("Dr Jones is leaving  the W14 conference room walking with Dr Smith and Deputy Administration Wesson generally towards you [see him here?… oh wait, he just turned into the Mens Staff Restroom and appears to be heading for a toilet and not a urinal… yep, he's sitting down… could be a while...].   Do you want to message him that his 2:30appt,  Mr. Laurel, is checked in? ")  

[yes, the open the door to privacy related issues;-)]
  • Reply 37 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Ugh. 

you do realise that's not real. It's just a mock up. the gold iPhone 5 doesn't look like that.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Mini is okay for taking pictures.

Taking pictures with the regular iPad makes all Apple users look like the sterotype ( yuppy with very little tech knowlege)

Are the iPhone/iPod the only Apple devices capable of taking 16:9 pics which fit on every TV monitor known to man?
  • Reply 39 of 50
    ireland wrote: »
    It's going 64 bit, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the 5S is the only device getting Touch ID this year, like the Siri release.

I'm not so sure. With Apple putting a password manager into iOS 7 it would make sense for them to put a biometric lock on as many devices as possible.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

At a stadium, or a public aquarium (at a scheduled feeding time), or a similar audience-type event... holding a tablet over the heads of the people in front of you significantly blocks the view for others behind you.  It's rude and thoughtless, especially if the tablet-holder is capturing video.

I was just going to say this: it can obscure the view of others behind you who may want to see/take a picture of the same thing.  The fact that many people don't see this instinctively makes me wonder if perception of the impact of our actions on others is being lost to adaptive evolution (serves no purpose in a society based on self-interest) or the fact that we're just too absorbed in our devices all the time.