Pandora, Gmail, Kindle all see iOS 7 redesigns

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The launch of iOS 7 has seen major apps pushing out updates in order to bring their services in line with the new look of Apple's operating system, with Pandora, Gmail, and Amazon's Kindle App all issuing updates on Wednesday.

The latest update for Pandora brings the Internet radio service to version 5.0 on iOS. The update brings the ability to add variety to stations, view previous liked and disliked tracks, and to view track lyrics to the iPad, bringing that version to parity with the iPhone version of Pandora.

Version 5.0 also has a redesigned interface meant to bring it in line with the flat aesthetic of iOS 7. Gone are the assorted textures and gradients that have marked previous versions, traded out instead for a minimalist look reflected even in the app's redesigned logo.

The update also allows users to simply swipe to explore further tracks without interrupting the music. iPad users can also take advantage of a third pane, allowing them to find new artists and tracks.

Version 5.0 of Pandora for iOS is available as a free download in the App Store. The 22.3MB download requires an iOS device running iOS 5.0 or later.

Gmail gets flat icon, better Google app integration

Google, too, has updated part of the look of its Gmail app to better reflect the changes in iOS 7. The app now has an updated icon that is more in keeping with iOS 7's flat aesthetic. More importantly, Google has improved the attachment experience within the Gmail app. Users can now open larger image thumbnails into a full-screen viewing experience.

The update also brings improved integration with Google's other iOS apps, continuing a trend Google has been pushing for some time now. Google Drive and Google+ links now open directly into their respective apps, keeping users tightly integrated within Google's micro-ecosystem on iOS. Users can disable this function in the in-app settings.

Version 2.4.1 of Gmail for iOS is a free download in the App Store. It weighs in at 9.4MB, and requires a device running iOS 6.0 or later.

Kindle app goes flat, gets collections

Amazon has flattened version 4.0 of its Kindle app, bringing it into the new era of iOS design. The new Kindle app has a sharper look to it, carrying over many of the navigation cues that mark other aspects of iOS 7: thin fonts, thin lines, and so forth.

Amazon has even adopted the translucency effects that mark Apple's Control Center and Notification Center menus. These effects, Amazon says, "keep constant connection between customers and their content."

The update also includes the ability to organize Kindle content into collections with a few taps, as well as a number of slide-out menus in Library and Reader that combine key controls and are easily accessible.

Version 4.0 of the Kindle app for iOS is a free, 19.7MB download available in the App Store. The download requires an iPhone, iPad, or iPod running iOS 6.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Ironic, considering Apple doesn't appear to have done the same with their very own apps, such as iBooks, Find My Friends, iWork, etc...

Yet, that is.

(Oh, and has anybody successfully airdropped between their iOS7 devices and a Mac yet?)
  • Reply 2 of 16

GMail kept old design. Especialy keyboard. Dnk why left old one. Chrome uses iOS7 keyboard. Weird

• Reply 3 of 16
    Um...screenshots?
  • Reply 4 of 16

• Reply 5 of 16
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I update my iPhone but not my iPad and my iPad looks so old now. iOS 7 isn't perfect by any means but I think some of the complaining is completely hyperbolic and ridiculous. It took me maybe 10 minutes after install to figure everything out and most of that time was spent choosing wallpapers. I have yet to come across an app or interface where I couldn't figure out where to tap. Oh and iTunes Radio rocks. Plays a much better selection of tunes than Spotify radio. With Spotify I constantly get repeats. I'll keep using Spotify because of the on demand feature but I'll be using iTunes radio to discover new music for sure. Hopefully it will get an offline feature in the future.

Knowing that iOS 7 is just the beginning I can't wait for iOS 8. :)
  • Reply 6 of 16
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Deleted Pandora from all my iDevices... sorry- iTunes Radio for me.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    iTunes radio is cool mkay :)
    For example you can create station from everything inside your library :)

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/31773/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 8 of 16
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

I never used Pandora or GMail, but it took me a few seconds to get used to the new Kindle app.

Actually, some of the "learning curve" (for me, anyways) has been fun.  It's been like when I first got an iPhone.  I mean, most everything works like it always has.  But every once in a while, there's some funky change.  It's kind of fun figuring it out.

That, or I'm just dumb. :)

• Reply 9 of 16
    gtr wrote: »
    Ironic, considering Apple doesn't appear to have done the same with their very own apps, such as iBooks, Find My Friends, iWork, etc...

Yet, that is.

I don't care, already happy I can now FINALLY dump the Newsstand app in a folder. Woot woot.
    (Oh, and has anybody successfully airdropped between their iOS7 devices and a Mac yet?)

That doesn't work. I do like the fact that you don't need to have BT on all the time; it gets turned on automatically when AirDropping. Wait, that didn't come out right. Wait, that didn't either...

mm1337 wrote: »
    GMail kept old design.

It's in their DNA.
    Chrome users. Weird

Fixed that for ya
  • Reply 10 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Google will leap at the chance to redesign all their apps, wait and see. You might think they would purposely drag their heels due to their rocky relationship with Apple, but no.

Their long term goal is to get everyone on their web apps (GMail, Google docs), and part of their strategy to achieve that is to blur the distinction in people's minds between real apps and web apps. The controls in iOS 7 UIKit look a lot closer to web page controls than a traditional GUI toolkit (e.g. use of clickable text instead of buttons), in that sense Apple has played right in to Google's hands. And that's why Google will leap at this new UIKit.

The Apple designers didn't do it deliberately of course, they are just following the latest trends, and probably a bunch of them were web designers once. But that's where the CEO comes in. He needs to review all the tactical things his minions are doing (such as GUI refreshes) and ensure they don't contradict overall strategy, or play in to enemy strategy. In this case he should have looked at the iOS design and said "It's great, and you can keep the lightness, but it needs to look more like traditional GUI controls. It's important that we don't help Google blur the difference between apps and web pages. Make some changes along those lines and we'll meet again in 2 weeks."
  • Reply 11 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I update my iPhone but not my iPad and my iPad looks so old now. iOS 7 isn't perfect by any means but I think some of the complaining is completely hyperbolic and ridiculous. It took me maybe 10 minutes after install to figure everything out and most of that time was spent choosing wallpapers. I have yet to come across an app or interface where I couldn't figure out where to tap. Oh and iTunes Radio rocks. Plays a much better selection of tunes than Spotify radio. With Spotify I constantly get repeats. I'll keep using Spotify because of the on demand feature but I'll be using iTunes radio to discover new music for sure. Hopefully it will get an offline feature in the future.

Knowing that iOS 7 is just the beginning I can't wait for iOS 8. :)

Got to love that dynamic wallpaper ... I wonder if there is a way to create your own possibly on Mac with XCode maybe, I wonder if that's documented somewhere ..?

As I just posted in a different thread ... I bet Spotify et al are now destined to be swallowed by bigger fish using them as loss leaders as Apple are with iTunes radio. They are financially unsustainable as is.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    ascii wrote: »
    Google will leap at the chance to redesign all their apps, wait and see. You might think they would purposely drag their heels due to their rocky relationship with Apple, but no.

Their long term goal is to get everyone on their web apps (GMail, Google docs), and part of their strategy to achieve that is to blur the distinction in people's minds between real apps and web apps. The controls in iOS 7 UIKit look a lot closer to web page controls than a traditional GUI toolkit (e.g. use of clickable text instead of buttons), in that sense Apple has played right in to Google's hands. And that's why Google will leap at this new UIKit.

The Apple designers didn't do it deliberately of course, they are just following the latest trends, and probably a bunch of them were web designers once. But that's where the CEO comes in. He needs to review all the tactical things his minions are doing (such as GUI refreshes) and ensure they don't contradict overall strategy, or play in to enemy strategy. In this case he should have looked at the iOS design and said "It's great, and you can keep the lightness, but it needs to look more like traditional GUI controls. It's important that we don't help Google blur the difference between apps and web pages. Make some changes along those lines and we'll meet again in 2 weeks."

I am pretty sure Google's new logo design is part of copying Apple already.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    aaronj wrote: »
    I never used Pandora or GMail, but it took me a few seconds to get used to the new Kindle app.

Actually, some of the "learning curve" (for me, anyways) has been fun.  It's been like when I first got an iPhone.  I mean, most everything works like it always has.  But every once in a while, there's some funky change.  It's kind of fun figuring it out.

That, or I'm just dumb. :)

That was my reaction too. In fact that's why I love Mac OS X updates too, kind of like starting over but not totally. It is exactly what sets Apple (and the Apple user experience) apart from Microsoft. Their users hate changes as witnessed by the lousy uptake of anything new and the massive base of XP still out there. New Apple OSs are like Christmas morning for me. :)
  • Reply 14 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    I am pretty sure Google's new logo design is part of copying Apple already.
    Google began moving to a more simplified/clean and flatter design with Android Jellybean long before Apple's iOS7 design was revealed. Even Google's previous iOS app updates this year have reflected their new design cues. Flattening their own logo is just a continuation of that IMO. Flat is the theme for 2013 whether it's Microsoft, Google or Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Google began moving to a flat and simplified design with Android Jellybean long before Apple's iOS7 design was revealed. Flattening their own logo is just a continuation of that IMO. Flat is the theme for 2013 whether it's Microsoft, Google or Apple.

Google never fails to begin 'moving' in the direction of any Apple rumored concept or product nor does Scamsung. I just wish Apple would bait them with a few red herrings it could be very amusing. Perhaps, just maybe, A7 was part of such, but for the most part Google's knack for accessing Apple's board directors probably means that would never work too well.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Google never fails to begin 'moving' in the direction of any Apple rumored concept or product nor does Scamsung. I just wish Apple would bait them with a few red herrings it could be very amusing. Perhaps, just maybe, A7 was part of such, but for the most part Google's knack for accessing Apple's board directors probably means that would never work too well.

Google's simplified and clean Holo Design principles were put in place well over a year ago, so hardly "copying Apple's iOS7" IMO. But yes, following Apple certainly happens. They have a well-deserved rep for being out on the edge of design.