Apple chairman Art Levinson signs on as CEO of new Google health venture

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    john.b wrote: »
    No two ways about it, Larry Page wants to buy immortality.

(And, yes, as an AAPL shareholder, I think Levinson should resign from Apple's BoD -- alongside Bill Campbell.)

Bill Campbell too ... but ... but ... what about the amazing all powerful Mac accounting software? ... Oh wait a minute ...
  • Reply 42 of 61
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I believe he was with Google before joining Apple's board.

Good edit ;)
  • Reply 43 of 61

That or maybe Google Labs does have a time machine ... :\
  • Reply 44 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I'm allowing for the date typo here as I am nice. But .... There you go again! That was the 'other Google' you know before the red Kryptonite. You have to remember this in your posts or you will lose credibility. :D

LOL, I was reading his bio and lost track of which decade I was in.
    Dang time machine. . . and typos. :lol:
    http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=234085&ticker=AAPL&previousCapId=24937&previousTitle=APPLE INC
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

He's not just working within Apple as the Chairman of the Board. He's also Chairman of the Board of Genentech. His passion is health and this initiative needs his entire focus.

It's time for the Board to research a replacement. As a shareholder and former Apple employee I would be pushing for it internally.

Most directors on most boards, including the Apple one, have full time endeavors outside of serving as directors. Should they all be replaced?

• Reply 46 of 61
    LOL, I was reading his bio and lost track of which decade I was in.
    Dang time machine. . . and typos. :lol:
    http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=234085&ticker=AAPL&previousCapId=24937&previousTitle=APPLE INC

Distractions are hell, and Larry popping in for a chat now and then can't help... right?
  • Reply 47 of 61

I don't think there is a need for Art Levinson to resign from the Apple board. In fact, he'd be a big loss. Scientists working at Genentech when Levinson was there would tell you that he wasn't just a great scientist but also an extremely thoughtful, helpful and decent person of all fronts. Just a really good man.

I do wish that he had stopped Google from launching Calico this week. Clearly Google timed it to coincide with launch of iPhone5c+s. I don't begrudge Larry Page for this timing. But I wish Levinson had stopped him.

• Reply 48 of 61
    Distractions are hell, and Larry popping in for a chat now and then can't help... right?

Larry isn't the problem, it's when he gets in the same room with Curly and Moe. At least Shep's not invited.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Larry isn't the problem, it's when he gets in the same room with Curly and Moe. At least Shep's not invited.

So Eric's secret handle is Moe?
  • Reply 50 of 61
    So Eric's secret handle is Moe?

oooohhh ... THAT'S what you meant. :D
  • Reply 51 of 61
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

• Reply 52 of 61

It's Shemp. :). At least you didn't mention Curley joe.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Get the traitor off the board. Now. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

At Apple or AI?
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

What are you talking about?  Apple doesn't make specialized products for the healthcare market. Their computer/tablets might be used in those markets, but they are typically running 3rd party software.   Either way, until they actually spit out something, it's all conjecture as to what they will be focusing on.  It could end up not even being a piece of hardware or software.

AFAIK Google has personal health records (Google Health) while Apple is likely working on data collection (M7 processor for low energy use, biometrics gathered by wearable tech such as a watch). The two seem complementary thus far, in terms of health products. However, it would not be shocking to see Apple one day devise an elegant approach to health records (given it's work with iCloud).

• Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I am a stockholder, also, and I don't agree that there is a conflict of interest. Just because Apple board chairman Levinson is an investor and CEO of a company co-founded with an Apple (arch)rival, I can't imagine how Calico will conflict with Apple, a device/software technology company.

I guess I disagree.  Wearable tech is going to have strong ties with fitness and health, as we have been reading about in recent months.  Apple is heading in this direction, make no mistake.  Look at the headlines today about Apple requiring sources for medical information in iOS Apps.  They are clearly paying attention to healthcare.

• Reply 56 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

But I would think that as a stockholder (I am not at current, I bought my retirement home this summer;-), 

So you're the problem.  Now we know why the stock dropped.  ;-)

(I know you said this summer, but couldn't resist)

• Reply 57 of 61

All I know is I don't want Google anywhere near my health records.  Ever.  

They have their fingers in so many places of so many people already, it's gotten out of control.

• Reply 58 of 61
    blah64 wrote: »
    All I know is I don't want Google anywhere near my health records.  Ever.  

They have their fingers in so many places of so many people already, it's gotten out of control.

If I recall correctly you don't want Apple or anyone else to have them either. There's a lot of folks that are uncomfortable with the digital data floating around in various databases. The IRS is the latest that will be given access to your health records if you're an American.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    h2ph2p Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

1) I don't think Schmidt being on the Apple board had anything to do with Google copying iPhone...

2) You know, both Bill Gates and Larry Page attended SJ's funeral. Why didn't you AI freaks get all bent about that?

3) Whatever, I supposed it would be fine if he stole some of Google's tech and handed it over to Apple, right?

1) You are at odds with Steve Jobs. He thought that Google pilfered iPhone.

2) Industry Leaders & Friends attended SJ's funeral. Zero connection in my mind (AI freak).

3) That was the first (joke) thing that came to my mind when reading the headline... help steal tech.. But, hey, this isn't an actual Google endeavor.

• Reply 60 of 61
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't think Schmidt being on the Apple board had anything to do with Google copying iPhone. They were going to do it anyway regardless of Schmidt.  Levinson as CEO of Calico should not have any conflict of interest implications either. 

You know, both Bill Gates and Larry Page attended SJ's funeral. Why didn't you AI freaks get all bent about that?

Whatever, I supposed it would be fine if he stole some of Google's tech and handed it over to Apple, right?

Oh well... I was about to explain that Schmidt worked at Sun (Now Oracle) where they stole Java from. And that he was a board member at Apple where they stole iOS. But if you missed the remark Steve Jobs made about Android being a stolen product and the thermonuclear war and all... You should explain to me; how is life, living under a rock ?