Line grows at Apple's flagship Fifth Ave cube in anticipation of Friday launch of new iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42

For the record I will be one of those idiots tonight standing in line. I will definitely order a phone online depending on where the line is at when I get there.

• Reply 22 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Hope the 5S isn't out stock for too long.  Want one, but not nearly enough to sleep outside in London in September.

If the queue was only an hour long outside I'd still be put off.  It's f**king freezing out there.

• Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Hope the 5S isn't out stock for too long.  Want one, but not nearly enough to sleep outside in London in September.

If the queue was only an hour long outside I'd still be put off.  It's f**king freezing out there.

Do like me and pitch a tent.

• Reply 24 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

:err:

• Reply 25 of 42

Around 12:30am in China, the Apple Online store said 5s was shipping within 7-10 days.  30 minutes later, it said shipping in October.  

• Reply 26 of 42
    That Store is open 24/7; why don't they wait inside?
  • Reply 27 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    philboogie wrote: »

Must have been English people, they always wait in lines.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Do like me and pitch a tent.

Won’t you get bagged for public indecency?

• Reply 29 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Won’t you get bagged for public indecency?

Not indecency ... indetent
  • Reply 31 of 42
    hill60 wrote: »
    Less than two hours to go, Broadway store Sydney Australia.

Thank you hill60. Is that taken with your new phone, or an 'old' 5? They look good.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Do you guys think I'll be able to get a silver 64GB 5S on-line tonight at 3am?  Or is this a hopeless gesture?

• Reply 33 of 42
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thank you hill60. Is that taken with your new phone, or an 'old' 5? They look good.

Retina iPad, I finally figured out how to post photo's

The line now disappears around the corner, one and a half hours to go.

• Reply 34 of 42
    They just announced the gold has already sold out
  • Reply 35 of 42
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They just announced the gold has already sold out

This is looking grimmer and grimmer by the second.

• Reply 36 of 42
    Must of been the Chinese "tour groups" at the front of the line.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/31843/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 38 of 42
    hill60 wrote: »
    Got silver

Thought you already got 2. Family perhaps? Anyhoo, congrats!
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

What a miserable life only being happy when only positive comments are made about your religious devotion to an electronics company.   Traditional religion is bad enough, but is this now where we're heading:   where we think of corporations as infallible and where they can't be criticized (if it's the religion we've chosen)?   Is there going to be a civil war within ten years between Apple and Samsung devotees?   Will they have to live in different neighborhoods?   Will they then eventually demand independence from each other?

The fact is that Adonis is completely correct.    It looks like about 30 people on line.    I've seen more people on line at fashion shops for teens when they have a flash sale.   That doesn't mean the new iPhones won't be successful -- I'm sure they'll be enormously successful, but it does mean that it's perfectly reasonable to state that a small group of sad looking, badly dressed morons who are waiting on line overnight for a phone that they could have ordered online is not a legitimate news story.   I'm no Samsung fan, but when they make fun of these idiots, I have to admit that they're a deserving target.   

And if you're interested in positive spin, the media has pretty much become anti-Apple, looking for any fault they can find.   My bet is that they use this small line as a negative story, not a positive one.     Today's NY Post has a cover story about the server problems at Apple, expressed with all the glee they would have if a Democrat got caught with their pants down.     

Oh how horrible for anything to be at all "uncool!"

You jaded skeptics keep using the same old tactic of exaggerating something into something which it isn't, and then refuting that exaggeration. It's NOT a religion, for cryin' out loud.

It's simply love of a company and its products and a little enjoyable camaraderie with other like-minded people.

I've stood in such lines myself, once for the opening of Apple retail store #9 in Tampa, and once at an AT&T store for the first iPhone. There were five ahead of me at the Apple store, and there were 13 in front of me at the AT&T store. The numbers don't matter to anyone in line, so they certainly shouldn't matter to anyone else.

It's up to the line-waiters whether or not it's worth it, and not to anyone else.

• Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Because they're not buying right away, and they have some manners.