Apple chief Tim Cook gets social, joins Twitter [U]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
On the same day his firm released its newest iPhones, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook appears to have taken a step into the social media world, opening a Twitter account and letting slip a single tweet.

Update: Cook's account has now been verified by Twitter, assuring that it is the Apple CEO. As of this update, the account stands at 30,301 followers, with 50 new followers added per second.

The purported Cook Twitter account @tim_cook appeared online on Friday with a single message about his earlier visits to Apple Stores for the launch of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5.

"Visited Retail Stores in Palo Alto today," the tweet reads. "Seeing so many happy customers reminds us of why we do what we do."

Cook has previously expressed similar feelings about stepping into Apple's retail locations. In an interview at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in February, Cook joked that visiting a bustling Apple Store on a rough day is "like a Prozac" for him.

The account has not yet been verified by Twitter, but it is being followed by the verified account of Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, lending credence to the possibility that it is indeed the Apple CEO. As of this writing, the account stood at 12,298 followers, with roughly 50 new followers added every second.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Well, Twitter is integrated into iOS. I expect him to say very little. Welcome anyway.

• Reply 2 of 16
    I'm sure he won't be tweeting anything worth telling
  • Reply 3 of 16
    He joined Twitter in July...He just never Tweeted until now.
  • Reply 4 of 16

When EF Hutton Tim Cook Talksweets, People Listen.

• Reply 5 of 16
    I hope he joins Myspace too
  • Reply 6 of 16

"Just changed my shirt."

"Going to see if there are any Rice Krispies in the cupboard."

"Had a pickle with my lunch today."

Tweets from Tim that will drive the analysts insane trying to decipher them.

• Reply 7 of 16
    And when Samsung gets caught [S]copying[/S] Samsueing Apples' 64-bit CPU they'll tell the judge a little birdie told them how to do it.
  • Reply 8 of 16

Sure this isn’t a repeat of the time that fake Phil Schiller account posted something that was subsequently reported here?

No blue checkmark, no dice. ‘Course the real easiest thing to do is just not use social networking.

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

"Just changed my shirt."

"Going to see if there are any Rice Krispies in the cupboard."

"Had a pickle with my lunch today."

Tweets from Tim that will drive the analysts insane trying to decipher them.

Jony got fries today. He’s sitting with his back to me. It’s so on.

• Reply 9 of 16
    ‘Course the real easiest thing to do is just not use social networking.

Amen.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    geez oh you could have included the verified link at least:

https://twitter.com/tim_cook
  • Reply 11 of 16
    An article solely about Tim Cook's new twitter that doesn't once link to said twitter? Are you serious??
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm sure he won't be tweeting anything worth telling

Isn't it funny a ship that leaks from the top?

• Reply 13 of 16
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

At least Cook joins the social media at last.

• Reply 14 of 16
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Looks like Jony Ive and Craig Federighi lost their bet :D

• Reply 15 of 16

Tim tries to keep up with the trends. iPhone 5C was made for the youth, now he joins Twitter... what's next?

• Reply 16 of 16
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

This is for PR only that is all.Cook can care less about these social sites.